Nov 18/06 Edmonton-And-Surrounding-Urbanities meet impressions!
Nov 20, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #16 of 47
I had a great time, it was cool to meet everyone.
I didn't really do much serious comparison between headphones, but I liked the AKG K701's (and the look and feel of them too!) The KSC-75's were really amazing for the size and price; if I feel like getting some portable headphones I'll definitely buy a pair. I only listened for a minute, but they sounded remarkably like my hd-600's.

Oh, as people were asking what my amp was, here's a thread with the schematic: PRR-Tori.

Thanks, joneeboi for organizing it and everything (wow, lots of pictures
580smile.gif
)

Nov 20, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #17 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric.w /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a great time, it was cool to meet everyone.
I didn't really do much serious comparison between headphones, but I liked the AKG K701's (and the look and feel of them too!) The KSC-75's were really amazing for the size and price; if I feel like getting some portable headphones I'll definitely buy a pair. I only listened for a minute, but they sounded remarkably like my hd-600's.

Oh, as people were asking what my amp was, here's a thread with the schematic: PRR-Tori.

Thanks, joneeboi for organizing it and everything (wow, lots of pictures
580smile.gif
)

nice work man. I'm too lazy to build anything more than a simple circuit or diy cables etc. Have you built anything else? Was your dvd player the toshiba 3950? I had one and remember there was a few mods that could be done to it.

Nov 20, 2006 at 11:48 PM Post #18 of 47
Man, I wish I'd gone. I didn't even get very much homework done during that time. What a waste.

Well, anyways, I'm glad to see that it went really well. Great job, joneeboi! I'll definitely be at the next one, whenever it happens, and maybe by then I'll have broken down and bought some DT990s.
tongue.gif

Nov 20, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #19 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by leco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, none of the two XCans where modded. I've been tempted to mod mine but haven't looked into it yet. Do you have any opinions on whether the mods are worth it?

Thanks!

Percy

They are worthy, and while at it you may want to get a pair of russian 6H23-EB tubes. Good luck.

Nov 21, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #20 of 47
You are welcome, those grateful ones among you. I also want to thank you for coming out. It's not a meet unless people show. I just wish those that couldn't make it told me in advance. Although eventually I'll find out that you're not going to be there, it's discouraging to see that less than half the people show up. Maybe this is a trend amongst all meets worldwide, but be like mb3k and let me know at least so I'm not worried or anything.

Next meet will be even better just because different people and gear will be there. When to do? First we need to form that Student Group. If you're interested in starting a Student Group, pm me your first and last names, working email, and education status (whether you're an undergrad student, grad, alumnus, staff, or unassociated).

My meet impressions:
It was great to see who was around so I could put faces to names. I've already seen pne outside of the meet, and it seems pne and turtlee have gotten to talking and he's given her his KSC75s in the Head-Fi spirit of giving. Networking is what it's all about.

One of the main things I took away from the meet was the sound of the HF-1. Seeing as so many are resold, I had read that the HF-1 isn't spectacular. After giving them a listen, however, my opinion has changed. Simply, I want one eventually. I know they surface every now and then, but will there be one when I am ready to buy it? I guess I'll just have to be patient. However, if anyone is inclined to a giveaway in which I am the only candidate...

X-Can V3 was cool. It looked pretty snazzy, and I never knew there were tubes in it. I didn't really get to test how it differs from an SS amp, but it was cool that we had two there. Funky. Same with the HD600s.

KSC75 also was nice. I am getting mine sometime this week, so it was good to actually hear what I was getting. I hadn't heard one until the meet and just went with the overwhelming majority that took the ~$20 dive. Just a question: does it come with in-line volume control? I was thinking about giving it to a friend whose earbuds can't produce audible noise and I wasn't sure or not. It said so on Amazon.com (and yes, I used the provided Head-Fi link) but pne's didn't have one. *shrugs*

Conduit and pne's D-ingIT. Inspiring. Though pne isn't into it as much as Conduit, it was pleasant to witness a physical manifestation of a DIYer's work. Empowering. Takes away the fear of unknown and fear of failure. Simple, educational experience. It'd be cool to have a cmoy just for the wow factor. Not much else to say about that.

leco seems bent on getting a Xin amp. Someone should hook him up.

Roblin has got a pretty handsome mug. Watch out for Team Girl-fi, bro.

No one had an RSA amp. I wanted to listen to at least one of his amps. I could grab one from Todd and ship it back if I don't like it, but it's more convenient if it's at a meet. Now what?

Until next time...

Nov 21, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #21 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My meet impressions:
It was great to see who was around so I could put faces to names. I've already seen pne outside of the meet..

really? what kind of amazing cans was i rocking?
icon10.gif

and I'll be danged the only headphone I didn't try at the meet was the HF-1's. Now you've got me excited for the next meet.

oh and props to conduit for his cable making skills. That 1/4->1/8 adapter everyone was using was courtesy of his fine skills.

Nov 21, 2006 at 7:03 AM Post #23 of 47
so....when's the next one? it's too bad i had to leave before the bulk of the people got there

not enough listening time to post detailed impressions, although the rs-1 was a beauty to look at and listen to

pne...that adapter still actually works? that was one of my first DIY attempts, glad to hear it's functional

Nov 21, 2006 at 7:37 AM Post #24 of 47
I came with just some CDs, my cheap cans (MDR-V150 and iBuds) and great expectations and was rewarded with new friends, better cans (thanks pne!) and a greater love for this community *cue sappy music* but really, I love you guys....especially YOU
tongue.gif

I'm inspired to work my bum off during the summer to feed this addiction because right now I'm mostly just trolling around head-fi till the wee hours...one day I will be a true head-fier and make team edmonton and surrounding urbanites proud!
rs1smile.gif

btw how many members of team girl-fi out there?

Nov 21, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #25 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Conduit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so....when's the next one? it's too bad i had to leave before the bulk of the people got there

not enough listening time to post detailed impressions, although the rs-1 was a beauty to look at and listen to

pne...that adapter still actually works? that was one of my first DIY attempts, glad to hear it's functional

actually when I first got it I pulled it apart to see and reflowed the joints with some silver solder, its one sweet connector though. I've since sold the ms-1's though.

turtlee-I believe there are only about 10 or 20 actve girl-fi members. and this is out of 30 000 members? hmmm..
tongue.gif

Nov 21, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #26 of 47
I just blew $1100 CAD on the GS1000.
But man is it ever so good.
But $1100 + 6% tax. Yikes.

So if anyone who was at the meet wants to make me an offer on my Senn HD600 + Cardas Cable and also my Grado 225s, please do. I haven't been using them a lot as it is anyways and although I would like to keep them, it is just nutty to do so.

blink.gif

-- Sanjay

Nov 22, 2006 at 8:58 AM Post #30 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by turtlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pne: are you serious? that little....

And half of those are gender confused dudes!
tongue.gif

No, seriously, three or four of them are guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back