Nougat: Where in the chain should coloration be added?
Apr 30, 2002 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

dhwilkin

Headphone audiophiles are practically the stuff of legend.
After my recent DAC comparison [/shameless plug], I realized that if I kept the DI/O as currently modded, I'd need to introduce some warmth in the vocals somewhere later down the chain. Or, I could get the DI/O re-modded to be warmer in the first place. So here's my question: Where in the equipment chain should coloration be added, and why? Are there significant pros/cons to adding coloration at the source, as opposed to the amp or headphones?

Apr 30, 2002 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 26
One man's "colored" is another man's "neutral". You may *think* you're making your system more accurate by combining different components, but if your idea of accuracy is wrong, you may be introducing coloration unintentionally. Of course, to your ears, it will sound "right" even though it may not really be "accurate".

Everyone is trying to pursue a system that sounds "uncolored" to them. Who wants to listen to a system in which any one characteristic obliterates the other? However, one man's "tight clean bass" is another man's "bloated boomy bass". Given the wide distribution of systems here, I think we can conclude that we all define "accurate" differently.

markl

Apr 30, 2002 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 26
I voted for the "don't introduce coloration" option, but if you really want to do so, then I'd advise doing it at the headphone/speaker level. These are the most colored and distorted components in a system anyway, so you might as well pick the coloration that you want.

Apr 30, 2002 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 26
Mostly valid points, markl. But you should know there are some people that do want coloration, and it usually isn't going to be over-powering. I'm also not necessarily talking about absolute accuracy for the poll. In my case, yes, I'm looking to balance things out in the mid-range... maybe that'll give me a neutral system, maybe not. Maybe others already have a neutral system, to their ears, and find they really prefer a lusher mid-range. I simply want to know, if you're going to introduce colorations, will doing it in one part of the chain usually be better than doing it in another part of the chain?

Besides, since I don't think there's a piece of audio equipment on the planet that can truthfully claim to be completely colorless to all people, you've already got some color in your system, tiny and inaudible as it may be. After all, weren't you the person who, when auditioning the W2002, claimed it needed to be paired w/ a tube amp for additional warmth?

Apr 30, 2002 at 6:40 PM Post #5 of 26
From what I see, the source should determine the neutrality of the sound, the amplifier should regulate harmonic distortions and colorations, and the headphones should determine the presentation of the music, thus I voted for amplifier.

Apr 30, 2002 at 11:59 PM Post #6 of 26
"After all, weren't you the person who, when auditioning the W2002, claimed it needed to be paired w/ a tube amp for additional warmth?"

You know, now that I think about it, since discovering tubed headamps, every headphone I've reviewed since then I suggested should be paired with tubes. Tubes sound more "real" to me, yet other people find it a coloration.

Maybe you should just pick your favorite component, the one that seems least colored and most "right" to you, hang on to that and then choose other components to take your favorite component to the next level. That's really what I keep doing.

Over and over again....

markl

May 1, 2002 at 12:15 AM Post #8 of 26
I voted for "no coloration", but the reality is that virtually all sound reproduction systems have some character of coloration by the time they are up and running. How many of us have as a primary concern with a new hardware component how its sound will occasion a need for system coloration correction? If the correction needed when the system is essentially complete is minor/subtle because good choices and pairings have generally been made, I guess I would try to achieve the correction by cables and interconnects starting from the speaker/headphones and working back as necessary. This would yield the least contamination at the source and their lower relative cost would allow experimentation and having substitutes on hand.

May 1, 2002 at 12:52 AM Post #9 of 26
95% of the time I want the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Then other 5% of the time I want to correct for some inherently colored source material. The only place from which to alter tonal characteristics should be between the source and the amp and it should be done in such a way that the act is both calibrated and repeatable. As good case in point is the "bright" filter on the HR amps. Another possibility would be a digital EQ system which takes the digital signal from CDP source and manipulates the bits directly before the signal is converted into analog.

ALL equipment in the audio chain from source CDP to headphones should be a neutral as possible so as to be faithful to the music.

Cheers!

kevin

May 1, 2002 at 3:54 AM Post #10 of 26
I want no coloration. If something in my chain is crap, let me hear it. But, if you do introduce coloration, introduce it into the headphones, because if you don't like the way it sounds, it is the easiest thing to switch.

May 1, 2002 at 4:05 AM Post #11 of 26
Option 8: at the brain!

I have enough trouble staying in touch with reality without color running out of my speakers, thank you.

btw, do tube amps add more color to the signal or to the room? Inquiring minds want to know!

tongue.gif

gerG

May 1, 2002 at 4:28 AM Post #12 of 26
I say introduce it with CDs! You may need to buy one of those green makers... but I don't think they really work, so never mind.

BTW, just what the heck is neutral sound anyway?
How can someone be so sure that something is 100% neutral?
I mean unless you was in the studio that day, and can remember how exactly it sounded like, how can anyone know for sure?

May 1, 2002 at 5:27 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
...BTW, just what the heck is neutral sound anyway?
How can someone be so sure that something is 100% neutral?
I mean unless you was in the studio that day, and can remember how exactly it sounded like, how can anyone know for sure?

Quite easy to do. Record your own source material in person. When you play it back on your system, it had better sound like the real thing. If not, go back to square one and try again...

May 1, 2002 at 3:33 PM Post #14 of 26
I voted for headphones / loudspeakers...

But now that I think about it...

Where in the chain should coloration be added?

At the EQUALIZER

very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 1, 2002 at 3:37 PM Post #15 of 26
Do what ever is necessary to get the most out of your system.
More warmth? - tubed pre
More airiness? - tubed amp
More speed? - ss front end
More extension? - ss amp
Tonal issues? - play around with cables
etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back