Nougat: Where in the chain should coloration be added?
May 2, 2002 at 4:37 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
BTW, just what the heck is neutral sound anyway?

That's easy - real life.

I voted for Team Euphonic! (I.E., at the amp.) You shouldn't deliberately introduce coloration, but if you're going to introduce it anywhere, I say, introduce it at the amp.

May 2, 2002 at 6:25 AM Post #18 of 26
There are no truly impartial or nuetral audio components.Every piece of audio gear imparts some sort of "coloration" or a sonic signature on the audio signal.when you swap that cable and it "improves" the sound,it actually added it's own sonic signature or color as defined by the audio press.it is simply a matter of finding the blend of coloration that pleases you.That said,I think that the greatest degree of sonic coloration is imparted in the gain or preamp stage.

May 2, 2002 at 6:39 AM Post #19 of 26
My hi fi consists of a bunch of session musicians playing whatever I want to hear in my living room, which is an anechoic chamber.

True, the expense of this system rivals even the most exotic unobtanium interconnects, but it's totally nuetral, except when the musicians are feeling a bit off, and I have to beat them.

May 2, 2002 at 1:25 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by elipsis
My hi fi consists of a bunch of session musicians playing whatever I want to hear in my living room, which is an anechoic chamber.

True, the expense of this system rivals even the most exotic unobtanium interconnects, but it's totally nuetral, except when the musicians are feeling a bit off, and I have to beat them.

I like the sound of that,having access to the musicians so that
if you are not best pleased by them they can be given a good
beating for their troubles.

Mmm.....Then again I could recieve a good beating for not paying
enough attention...Not so good afterall
frown.gif

Setmenu

Team flat things

May 2, 2002 at 3:14 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by kwkarth

Quite easy to do. Record your own source material in person. When you play it back on your system, it had better sound like the real thing.

...but how do you know if your recording equipment is completely neutral?

May 2, 2002 at 4:22 PM Post #22 of 26
Flasken asked: "...but how do you know if your recording equipment is completely neutral?"

I was waiting for someone to ask that question!

Good job!! Gold star!!

One doesn't! The entire process is one of interative selection and elimination based upon specs and actual testing / auditioning. Over the course of time, I become quite familiar with any shortcomings in my recording/reproduction chain and it therefore becomes a known quantity. Whenever something new is introduced into the chain, the resultant change if any is evaluated against the previous baseline. I'm afraid for me, it is not an exact or completely objective process, but is is a very painstaking and time consuming one. The standard of reference that I always return to is the live performance.

I'm glad you asked!!

May 2, 2002 at 6:18 PM Post #23 of 26
of course it's impossible for an audio rig to be totally neutral, however this isn't reason to give up entirely. It's clear that some equipment is more neutral than other equipment, and that's the sort of stuff that will sound the best (if neutrality is what you're after). But it seems to me that the overwhelming majority of people on Head-Fi are after a "warm" sound...and warm, of course, is just another coloration which many people (including myself) consider unwanted. Why should people after a warm sound be considered any better than bassheads? both are after coloration, aren't they?
wink.gif

May 2, 2002 at 6:57 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by kwkarth

One doesn't! The entire process is one of interative selection and elimination based upon specs and actual testing / auditioning. Over the course of time, I become quite familiar with any shortcomings in my recording/reproduction chain and it therefore becomes a known quantity. Whenever something new is introduced into the chain, the resultant change if any is evaluated against the previous baseline. I'm afraid for me, it is not an exact or completely objective process, but is is a very painstaking and time consuming one. The standard of reference that I always return to is the live performance.

oh! thanks for the explanation!! Gold star!!
biggrin.gif
Now i see why no audiophile can ever be content. There is no true solution only endless evaluations. This truly is an equation that can never be solved. You know when you are close to the answer, but you don't know what the answer is or how to get there!!! Actually a quite impressive thought.

(it took me 20 minutes to write this short reply. Complicated stuff this is!)

May 2, 2002 at 10:36 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by setmenu

I like the sound of that,having access to the musicians so that
if you are not best pleased by them they can be given a good
beating for their troubles.

Mmm.....Then again I could recieve a good beating for not paying
enough attention...Not so good afterall
frown.gif

Setmenu

Team flat things

I can have the best of both worlds, though.

If I want to "colour" the music, all I need to do is poke the soprano in the eye repeatedly, which adds a pleasing "brightness" and "sibilance" to the vocals.

For more extended and boomy bass, I like to feed the tuba player lots of coffee then sit him in an uncomfortable chair.

Finally, a pleasing "edge" and "forwardness" can be added to the music by the judicious application of wedgies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back