Noteworthy headphone designs
Feb 24, 2011 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

HeadCred

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

After scouring forums for hours I often unwind by spending some time on design blogs to sooth my eyes. I've come across some really good looking headphones in my life and until now have had no way of sharing them with Head-Fi. Let this thread be a tribute to noteworthy headphone designs which are currently strewn around the internet. It would be nice having more pictures than words (post them in this thread, not in links), and include a link to the product's website or article source. No sarcasm (the Floats), limit discussion (a picture transmits a quality of information that can't be represented in words), and no custom IEMs. 

We do very well when it comes to criticizing how headphones sound, but aesthetics are an integral part of headphones, a somewhat benign vector that is often forgotten. Though posts in this thread probably won't be audiophile-minded, they will be headphone-related. In the very long run I'd like for this thread to positively influence the industry insiders that lurk around his site. I can only hope that the manifestations of such an influence will be better looking audiophile grade headphones. I would like to thank and congratulate Head-fi for being Head-Fi. 

I think everyone that has posted so far has skipped my two paragraph intro into which I put a good bit of thought. Please take my first two posts as examples, please do not consider this a conventional thread.

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 24
Aesthetics, like much else, is in the eye of the beholder. While I can definitely agree with HeadCred that the Klipsch X10 is very aesthetically pleasing to the eye with its smooth curves and no angles, I personally feel that the function-over-form appearance of the Koss PortaPro is equally aesthetically pleasing (at least to my eye).

But yes, I'd definitely cast a vote on the Klipsch X10 being one of the most aesthetically pleasing headphones made.

Apr 12, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #6 of 24
As for what I find aesthetic in electronics, it must be gently formed and coloured, no too many ornaments, and where there are ornaments they should rather reinforce the general form than be a central element.
I tend towards a Bauhaus philosophy in headphone design, but sleek and soft rather than edged and rugged.

As for the Klipsch X10, they look like metallic mushrooms, please. I find the PortaPro exaggerating in its minimalism, it looks extremely abrupt. I prefer something like the DT 235. My current design favourite is the K 141 though.

Apr 14, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #8 of 24
Ahhhh, another thread about great looking headphones... Well, I've been exposed to a lot more headphones since my last contribution to such a thread.

Beautiful sanguine coloured cups... The rest of the enclosure is boring, but if they're just a deeper red than my previous W10vtgs, you can't even imagine their beauty until you see them under natural light in person.

I bought a pair of these just for their looks, but they sound interesting too!

Elegant, classy and they smell like raspberries.

Apr 15, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #14 of 24
The floats have been mentioned already, their modern equivalents the Ergo AMT are pretty ugly, but these peerless ones were damn stylish. Just missed out on an ebay auction for the dynamic ones of these once... If I ever see the stat ones on auction I may sacrifice my wallet to the god of head-fi...

Apr 15, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #15 of 24
Hm... seem to have lost my ability to edit posts??? Obviously "ancestors" is the wrong word above! EDIT: Ah, now I can edit again, making this post rather pointless...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back