Not using my 800s's... :(
Aug 28, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #16 of 28
Long story short, I just got a RME ADI-2 DAC.
And I love it.
I have 2 young kids, and I like listening to my music pretty loud. That being said, I want my kids to sleep! (more than me having a good time listening to my tunes)
The 800s's are like open speakers.
I don't want to get rid of them, I would like an alternative in closed back.
I also own E-mu Teaks and they are getting a lot of listening time these days. (love em)
I love instrumental, rock, alternative
Any suggestions?

Thanks

It might narrow things down if you talk through what you'd want a new closed headphone to do better or differently than the Teaks.

Aug 28, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #17 of 28
It might narrow things down if you talk through what you'd want a new closed headphone to do better or differently than the Teaks.

That's a great comment, but not to be a smart ass, I just don't know what I don't know.
I would like a headphone that maybe sounds a little less muffled. I believe the Teaks have fantastic bass and the mids could be a tad better. I could also go for a bit more comfort.

Aug 28, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #19 of 28
probably too loud.... :triportsad:

Aug 29, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #20 of 28
How could you listen loud enough to disturb your kids? Are they in the same room in this situation? I can’t imagine listening loud enough so it would be heard in another room especially if there was a door involved.

I don’t have the HD800s but my Elear’s are super leaky and barely audible across a 12-15ft room with ambient noise levels in the 40-50db range at my listenening levels (we keep air circulation active all the time).

On the headphone front, the Aeon/Ether Flow Closed are both fairly neutral, which should be close to your HD800s. Hard part is that few closed back are also going to have the very large soundstage of the HD800 line.

Aug 30, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #22 of 28
I had a roommate in college who asked if he could play my stereo in our dorm room. I said sure and I went out.

When I got back a few hours later I heard music blasting as I came up the stairs. When I got to my floor I said What this is coming from my room. I opened the door and my roommate was fast asleep, dead to the world. I don't remember if I went out again or turned the volume down but I do remember when he got up a few hours later I asked how he could sleep with that kind of noise. "I have 13 brothers and sisters. If it's quiet I can't sleep."

So I agree it's essential to get your kids off to the right start. :wink:

Aug 31, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #23 of 28
I was in a similar situation ...

Its not easy when it comes to good closed headphones ... most are way too expensive for what they are...

MDR-Z1R: very V-shape sound signature and sounds very incoherent to my ears
LCD-XC: great sound but feels a bit like a brick on your head
HD820: good but no match for the HD800(s) and asking twice the price for a "worse HD800" is just ridiculous
Fostex TH900: built felt flimsy in my hands ... didn't like the look either
Mr Speakers Ether C (flow): a lot to like about (also comfort, built) but not for that price ... maybe the Aeon closed is an option for you ...

Anyway ... I finally ended up buying a "used like new" AGK K872 for 500$ and I'm actually really happy with that. It's of course no open HD800 but good enough for those times when it's needed.
It seals pretty well, built quality, comfort and sound is good to great, price is reasonable because prices dropped a lot since it was introduced and also the used prices are pretty low - seems to my they are quite under the radar compared to most totl headphones out there ^^

Good luck on your search and on your headphone journey :)

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #25 of 28
Sep 1, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #26 of 28
I was looking for closed back planars a while back, ended up with the ZMF Ori, and I'm loving it. It's only "85%" closed though. I was also looking at the Aeon Flow Closed but it seems that one really needs some particular amping, going by some threads here. TH900s are a fun listen, if you like bass and their particular tuning.

But nothing beats my PEQ'd Hugo2 + Apex Teton + HD800 - yet!

Sep 6, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #28 of 28
Thanks a lot for the response guy's
I think I will try the ZMF's and maybe a set or Mr Speakers at my local shop.
I appreciate it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back