Not Sure About the iPod? Well this might be your thing... Zune Launches TODAY.
Sep 15, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #46 of 64
For me, I am welcoming any new company to bring new device into this portable player markets.

That will just drive the cost of ipod down, and will push Apple to deliver better quality product.

That being said I still won't get any other portable music player other than iPod.

It now got rockbox, so it can play those ogg, or flac no problem.

Sep 15, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #47 of 64
volcomjerk says:

Quote:

critical buyers . . . only .0000000000001% of the people that actually freakin care if it can play OGG, FLAC . . . I'm not thinking hmmm I wonder what bitrate this is???

I agree.

I know this is a hobby site devoted to sound, but when do all these "critical buyers" do all their "critical listening" on all those mythical "critical digital player" running all those "critical OGG and Flac" files. If you are a big fan of music, most of your listening is done while doing something else.

Half my listening is done in my car usually with the windows open and/or the top down. The vast majority of the rest of my listening is done while reading, at the computer (as now) and doing work around the house. Before I rip a cd, I will listen to the album a few time.

wodgy says:
Quote:

Microsoft is killing . . . PlaysForSure market . . . we could end up with a situation where there are only two or three online music vendors left.

I agree, all those people that bought PlayForSure tracks may be orphaned.

It is only "bad for consumers" if they purchase PlayForSure, Apple Protected Format or other formats that are proprietary and only work with select players.

BUY THE ALBUM, AND DO YOUR OWN RIPPING. To give the most flexibility, I rip in MP3.

Sep 15, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #48 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6
BUY THE ALBUM, AND DO YOUR OWN RIPPING. To give the most flexibility, I rip in MP3.

I rip MP3 too although AAC is pretty flexible now and I prefer the sound of that over MP3. Sure OGG sounds great and FLAC sounds awesome and it's easy to get from www.insertillegalsitehere.com but no one cares about the OGG or FLAC listeners except the other feature rich market. I'm sure all Apple has to do is add software to support these codecs but hey I don't see iPod failing because it doesn't have these features. Like I said .000000001% only care and its just not cost effective to cater to a market that small.

I can't understand what people care about more the codec or the music. I'm not saying I don't like high quality music but how much difference can you tell when you are driving in your car or taking a run or just chilling with your friends listening. The only time I can really tell is if I sit at home and actually listen for differences.

I too welcome the Zune because it's just going to lower prices and make products better.

I just laugh at the WiFi part and how everyone is making a big deal out of it as if it's the reason to buy a Zune. Everyone's all ooooo WiFi!!!!! Until they realize they can't WiFi to anyone cause no one has a Zune.

Sep 15, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #49 of 64
volcomjerk says,
Quote:

I just laugh at the WiFi part and how everyone is making a big deal out of it as if it's the reason to buy a Zune. Everyone's all ooooo WiFi!!!!! Until they realize they can't WiFi to anyone cause no one has a Zune.

I have not looked at vocomjerk driver's license, but mine tells me that I am no longer a teenager. The WiFi feature could become a big deal for teenagers and college students. Currently, community connection (Myspace) and community video posting (YouTube) are huge. I could see community music list sharing (We could call it MyMusic or YouTunes) could be big.

I have no use for it, but WiFi could be a very big thing particularly with young, first buyers.

Sep 15, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #50 of 64
Quote:

I am no longer a teenager. The WiFi feature could become a big deal for teenagers and college students.

As someone who does fit that demographic (college student), I don't see it doing well. If people just want to listen to music together there are easier ways to do it, and if people want to share music files there are also easier ways that don't require two Zunes and don't have ridiculous limitations. This is a cool-sounding-at-first bulletpoint, nothing more.

Sep 15, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #51 of 64
Quote:

I am no longer a teenager.

wink.gif

Sep 15, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #52 of 64
Quote:

volcomjerk says,

I have not looked at vocomjerk driver's license, but mine tells me that I am no longer a teenager. The WiFi feature could become a big deal for teenagers and college students. Currently, community connection (Myspace) and community video posting (YouTube) are huge. I could see community music list sharing (We could call it MyMusic or YouTunes) could be big.

I have no use for it, but WiFi could be a very big thing particularly with young, first buyers.

Sorry but the WiFi as of now is only working with Zune or other upcoming microsoft products. Trust me it's not a big deal especially when 99% will be using iPods and I HIGHLY doubt MyMusic or YouTunes will happen. At least not while the RIAA has a say. YouTube is already having trouble keeping copyright content off their site.

http://digg.com/gadgets/Microsoft_s_..._Windows_Media

That is the death of the Zune already.

Sep 15, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #53 of 64
Quote:

Sorry but the WiFi as of now is only working with Zune or other upcoming microsoft products. Trust me it's not a big deal especially when 99% will be using iPods and I HIGHLY doubt MyMusic or YouTunes will happen. At least not while the RIAA has a say. YouTube is already having trouble keeping copyright content off their site.

From the limited amount I have read. With WiFi you would broadcast music lists and musical containt ??? I don't think the WiFi is to download the music ?

Again I could be wrong, but I think the basic thought is that with WiFi everyone becomes a radio station. Sort of like sms messages to other bluetooth phones within the area ?

I think with the Zune WiFi you can hear and see, but no touching !

If anyone knows more, please post.

Sep 15, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #54 of 64
No, you are right (I think...) but in order for that concept to be successful many people would have to switch to Zune and I just don't see that happening unless Zune proves to the people that this is what they need instead of the iPod.

There's a difference between the Zune and iPod. The Zune is just another player. The iPod is like a legend in electronic/music history. It's basically not just a portable music player. It's almost like a necessity. I know I can't go anywhere without it just like how most people want or need a CD Player in their car now. This is already proven by the amount of accessories released because manufacturers know they can make a product for the iPod and it will be bought. Everyone at my office here all have iPods and they take it everywhere.

If Zune wants to push Apple over they have to prove to the world that it can be something people will NEED in their lives.

I know I sound like an iPod fanboy right about now but I've tried many players including the iAudio X5 and the iAudio A2 and they only make me realize I miss the iPod.

Sep 15, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #55 of 64
No, the wireless isn't like radio. You can send a music file to another user via wireless. That user can listen to it at most three times over three days. There is an Inbox feature in the desktop software that helps you buy the music, if you want, after the song expires.

Contrary to rumor, you *can* share MP3s and AACs via wireless; however, they get wrapped in DRM by the receiving Zune and are subject to the same three listen/three days restriction. This is a real usability problem in my view. Why share a song via Zune wireless when you can just email a song to someone and it doesn't expire? There is no advantage to the Zune system, other than immediacy.

Sep 15, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #56 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
Why share a song via Zune wireless when you can just email a song to someone and it doesn't expire?

Yeah, this is the problem. There are easier ways to share music that don't come with nearly as many restrictions.

Sep 15, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #57 of 64
I have owned Apple Computers and iPods for more than twenty years. I have never used nor would I purchase a Windows machine. I find myself in the most uncomfortable of places - Defending Mr. Softie.

I do understand what is being said.

Up until recently, I would have agree with the other posts downplaying WiFi. Recently, I read something that changed my mind or at least makes me pause: Apple iTunes Music Store in Japan has 5% of the market. The vast majority of Japanese consumers download their music to their phones. An overwhelming number of Japanese do not use a computer to download music !

You may not do it. I certainly wouldn't do it. But I don't know.

Sep 15, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #58 of 64
Quote:

I have owned Apple Computers and iPods for more than twenty years. I have never used nor would I purchase a Windows machine. I find myself in the most uncomfortable of places - Defending Mr. Softie.

I do understand what is being said.

Up until recently, I would have agree with the other posts downplaying WiFi. Recently, I read something that changed my mind or at least makes me pause: Apple iTunes Music Store in Japan has 5% of the market. The vast majority of Japanese consumers download their music to their phones. An overwhelming number of Japanese do not use a computer to download music !

You may not do it. I certainly wouldn't do it. But I don't know.

The Japanese are OBSESSED with their phones. They wear them around their lanyards or neck and it's basically their lifeline. I wouldn't be against an iPhone coming out
wink.gif
however here in the states it'd be very hard to change things to how the Japanese do things but Microsoft's Zune looks so alone with Apples complete line of iPods and price drops and I just can't see any chances of this thing even pinching iPods grasp on the music industry and the portable media industry.

Microsoft may have money but they apparently don't have brains because they would have tried to do something much better in order to take on Apple head on and so far they're failing miserably even before release. They apparently ditched PlayForSure.

Sep 15, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #59 of 64
Quote:

Phones in Japan are all-in-one devices, and as such they'd have no use for a device like the Zune. Meanwhile, everyone else does use computers, and as such the extreme limitations of Zune's file sharing doesn't benefit them.

I just don't see anyone asking for an extremely limiting way to share music between dedicated devices.

Sep 15, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #60 of 64
volcomjerk says,

Quote:

The Japanese are OBSESSED with their phones . . . Microsoft's Zune looks so alone with Apples complete line of iPods . . .

I agree with your statements.

An additonal couple of facts:

(1) Five years ago there was a billion dollar PDA business. Today, smart phones are a billion dollar business and PDA's are hard to find.

and,

(2) Batteries are getting better and I recently read that 32 gig flash memory will soon be available.

It seems to me that the technology will soon be available to provide a Cell Phone, PDA, Camera, WiFi and Music Player all in one appliance. Microsoft is trying their hand in the wireless music business so they can sell the total package down the line.

A Zune may not be in your future, but a Microsoft all-in-one cell phone might.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back