-Not relevant anymore-
Feb 24, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #61 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by 14124all /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those interested in using the Fuze LO Cable on the E200 series players. It will not work in the current configuration. I tested with my original lineout cable and no dice. The problem must be that pin 22 on the E200 series does not have the 1-3 volt needed to enable pin 7. When I have time, I'll see if there is a suitable pin to use on the E200 series to feed pin 7 from. If there is, it will be a simple change to the original DIY cables to have the pin 7 jump go to the correct pin instead of pin 22.

good thing i didn't pry apart one of my spare cables then

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #62 of 159
the steeper the mountain the harder the climb the better the view from the finishing line

- Anonymous

Feb 25, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #64 of 159
Different kind of caps do have impact on SQ. For example, BlackGate is usually the favorite choice for audio application (though it is harder to get and more expensive), not to mention those really expensive Vcap people like to pair with iMod. You can experiment with different kind of caps to find what you believe to sound best, but I'll advise you to at least use caps with high capacitance (to make sure the low end won't get cut out since those caps also function as high pass filter). I chose 200uF, 6.3V caps because I know they will work (as the same type are used in Griffin dock), and Panasonic audio grade is relatively easy to get. I am planning to try out some good Rubycon caps as well, but not any time soon. BTW, if you can, use non-polar caps.

Feb 28, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #66 of 159
I made a couple of the v2 ones... OMG it's such a pain to get everything to fit inside the connector for the caps.

btw, thanks again ClieOS. Couldn't have done it without your guide.

DSC_0064.jpg

a little blurry...
DSC_0046-2.jpg

Feb 28, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #67 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by yukihiro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I made a couple of the v2 ones... OMG it's such a pain to get everything to fit inside the connector for the caps.

btw, thanks again ClieOS. Couldn't have done it without your guide.

DSC_0064.jpg

a little blurry...
DSC_0046-2.jpg

Hey, very nice work Y

How does it sound compared to full volume from the headphone jack?

I suppose we should realize that unlike an ipod, there is no analog amplifier to be bypassed by a line out..... IIRC, in the Fuze everything is done digitally by the chip.... No?

USG

Feb 28, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #68 of 159
Pretty good job there, yukihiro. How are those Nichicon caps sound like, I wonder? I also ordered some Nichicon caps as well, but they are bi-polar and have smaller capacitance.

@USG:
There is an analog amp insides (and if you count loosely, three actually) but it is integrated on the SoC, thus it is not possible to bypass. Fuze's gain steps (volume control) are mostly analog in nature. Only the lower section of the gain steps are fully digital. This is done so that the gain steps can be extended to 40 steps instead of the original 32 steps the analog amp is capable of. The caps are there to filter out the DC component of the line-out signal (same function as in diyMod).

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #69 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty good job there, yukihiro. How are those Nichicon caps sound like, I wonder? I also ordered some Nichicon caps as well, but they are bi-polar and have smaller capacitance.

@USG:
There is an analog amp insides (and if you count loosely, three actually) but it is integrated on the SoC, thus it is not possible to bypass. Fuze's gain steps (volume control) are mostly analog in nature. Only the lower section of the gain steps are fully digital. This is done so that the gain steps can be extended to 40 steps instead of the original 32 steps the analog amp is capable of. The caps are there to filter out the DC component of the line-out signal (same function as in diyMod).

As long as we're on the same page that a line out from a Fuze is not going to have a fraction of the impact that a line out from an ipod will have.

USG

Mar 1, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #70 of 159
Without hard work, nothing grows but weeds.

- Gordon B. Hinckley

Mar 1, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #71 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course not. Beside the sheer number of iPod users out there, iMod's / diyMod's LO improvement over headphone-out / original LO are much more obvious. In contrast, Fuze's LO is more about finding another way to tap into what has already been considered to be very good sounding. I would imagine the ratio b/w the skill / hard work required (for making diyLOD) and the benefit from using it will never be like as significant as iMod / diyMod

On the other hand, if you were somehow able to attach an ipod female to the other end of your LO dock we could tap into the "sheer number" of ipod docking accessories out there.....
jecklinsmile.gif
atsmile.gif
smile_phones.gif
happy_face1.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
just wishful thinking Clie...

USG

Mar 1, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #73 of 159
Any info on what might be possible with the e200 series would be great. I know you said you were going to look into it and if you find anything one way or the other please post it.

Thanks for the great guide for the fuze!

Mar 1, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #74 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacc1234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any info on what might be possible with the e200 series would be great. I know you said you were going to look into it and if you find anything one way or the other please post it.

Thanks for the great guide for the fuze!

Agreed on both counts!

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #75 of 159
Does the Fuze even need coupling capacitors? You'd only need them if you are reading DC voltage from the output. If it does not have DC voltage, you probably don't need coupling capacitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back