-Not relevant anymore-
Mar 3, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #76 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the Fuze even need coupling capacitors? You'd only need them if you are reading DC voltage from the output. If it does not have DC voltage, you probably don't need coupling capacitors.

I should have add this info to the first page (just did): there is an 1.4V DC offset on Fuze line-out. Depends on the kind of amp you used (whether it has a DC filter or not), you can choose to use diyLOD v1 (amp with DC filter) or v2 (amp w/o DC filter).

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #77 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should have add this info to the first page (just did): there is an 1.4V DC offset on Fuze line-out. Depends on the kind of amp you used (whether it has a DC filter or not), you can choose to use diyLOD v1 (amp with DC filter) or v2 (amp w/o DC filter).

Pardon my ignorance, but how does one know which amps have a DC filter and which ones don't?

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #78 of 159
If it is DIY amp, you'll need to look at the schematic to see if there are caps (one on each channel) b/w the opamp and the input signal. You will also likely to find a bypass (to ground) resistor b/w the caps and the opamp. That will be an input DC filter (look at post #2 about the DC filter design in Griffin dock).

Many amp do not have input filter as it is considered unneeded (as most source already have one inside) and potentially SQ degrading. You can ask the builder / manufacturer to find out more. A simple test to do will be feeding the amp in question a signal with DC offset than measure the output. If there is DC offset on the output as well, than you'll know there is no DC filter in the amp.

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #79 of 159
Great. Thanks for adding that info.

You might want to make it a very obvious recommendation to use coupling caps, since using this LOD without them could be potentially harmful to many amplifiers or headphones.

I may need to pick up a Fuze now...

Mar 4, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #80 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might want to make it a very obvious recommendation to use coupling caps, since using this LOD without them could be potentially harmful to many amplifiers or headphones..

Already did
smile.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #81 of 159
Ok so I tried this Mod with complete failure. I guess the cable I was using was little stiff, so when I tried to put it back together, one of the pins that the cable was soldered on too snapped off
frown.gif

Anyway I'm gonna order a couple more connectors and have another go at it. But I do have a question and the answer may be very obvious, but is it ok to snap of the pins that aren't being used?

Mar 10, 2009 at 9:11 AM Post #82 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by phangtonpower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is it ok to snap of the pins that aren't being used?

Sure, I do it all the time to make sure there won't be any accidental short. Do make sure to only snap off those not in need.

Mar 11, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #83 of 159
Ok I just did my very first DIY with making this cable for my Sansa fuze. I used a Radio shack 1/8" jack the Gold Series, soldered on no screws.

I have 2 questions.

Also just how bad are the Radio Shack 1/8" jacks?

And does the FIIO5 amp have caps in it? As in, do I have to make another one, the Sansa Fuze LODv2 for the FIIO5?

Thanks for the mod this is great and I think I am now hooked on DIY in electronics. Now Im waiting for my FIIO 5 amp to arrive so that I can try it out. I always have been DIY around the house too so this fits right in as I already had almost all the tools I needed already.

Thanks
Brian

Mar 11, 2009 at 9:28 AM Post #84 of 159
RadioShack's jack is fine. Expensive jacks are more for the look than the function.

Last I tested, I do believe there are input caps in E5, but not on E3.

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #85 of 159
Ok I just finished up an rca jack mod that has the 2 rca's on one end and a 3.5mm female plug on the other. I hooked this up to my stereo in the garage and then plugged the sansa LODv1 into the female 3.5mm and I get sound out of both channels but the vocals in the left side are not there, only vocals out of the right side. Any ideas why this is happening? Im using the sansa fuze with FLAC converted album so the sound is good but missing the vocals on the left side.

When I hook up through the HO on the sanza with an RCA's on the other end to the stereo I get great sound with vocals coming out of both sides no problem.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance
Brian

Mar 12, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #86 of 159
I would guess there might be a bad soldering joint somewhere in the left channel signaling path.

Mar 21, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #88 of 159
Was about 1 day away from finishing my Fuze LOD (first DIY project in quite some time) and my Fuze batter stopped charging. So I finished it and waited. Well, it arrived today and I am using my LOD with my E5, and it works! It is not perfect, but I did learn/remember a lot during this build (and spent a good amount upgrading my tools)!

I have the complete circuit, caps and resistors. I didn't see it here, so here are some pics.
DSCN0789.jpg

DSCN0796.jpg

DSCN0827.jpg

DSCN0829.jpg

And has anyone tested with and without the resistors?

Mar 21, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #89 of 159
I tried 33K resistors before (which is what I have at hand), but didn't notice much change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back