Not happy :(
Mar 22, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #19 of 31
Joseph, the top 3 listens will be made from a compilation of what you, more experienced, listeners would come up with on the basis of my criteria. Living in the UK getting to listen to the Alessandro could be a mission but i would like to get to hear those.

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #20 of 31
What are your top 3 picks?
From what your describing, at least give the Alessandro MS2i a listen, they are really an amazing headphone, but of course we all have our own opinions here.

I have only heard the grado sr60i once in a shop. It sounded very good to me. Nice crispy highs that weren't piercing at all, with a really realistic timbre to hihats and cymbals. The ms2i is probably a hole lot better but maybe still presenting that nice clear smooth and realistic timbre.

Mar 22, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #21 of 31
You must know, that you are probably not going to get a can that sound similar to your etymotics, but I guess you don't want that either. HD 6xx are easy to try out, so they should be on your list.

Mar 22, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #22 of 31
amps and headphones are like cams and torque converters.  They need to matched up to the point where you know the amp will run the headphones correctly.  A 100ohm output impedance of an amp may not sound so hot on 32ohm headphones, but would wake up an otherwise dull 250ohm perhaps.  

That's right isn't it?  Dang, disregard if that's wrong info.  Brain fart all of a sudden.

Mar 22, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:
Joseph, the top 3 listens will be made from a compilation of what you, more experienced, listeners would come up with on the basis of my criteria. Living in the UK getting to listen to the Alessandro could be a mission but i would like to get to hear those.

Most people tend to recommend another brand of headphones most of the time from what I usually read, when it comes to recommending the Grado /Alessandro line. They do have a unique sound without a doubt, which like I said, sounds like you may really enjoy them. People either love the Grado/Alessandro line or hate them. Being that you are leaving the top three up to the input of others I'm sure the Alessandro probably will not in the consensus. Anyway I  believe Alesssandro ships to the UK, you can look them up on the web and talk about their return policy if you can't listen to them elsewhere.
Good luck.

Mar 22, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #25 of 31
Mar 22, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #26 of 31
 I just plugged an old pair of cheap Koss Portapro's in to the system and found that the sound sig, whilst not all totally on, was quite close to what i'm after so, as the Grado sound is supposed to be quite close to those albeit with a sweeter top end, which is not a bad thing, I will be off listening to a few Grado's this weekend.....Alessandro just might be the ones?  update after the weekend.

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:
 I just plugged an old pair of cheap Koss Portapro's in to the system and found that the sound sig, whilst not all totally on, was quite close to what i'm after so, as the Grado sound is supposed to be quite close to those albeit with a sweeter top end, which is not a bad thing, I will be off listening to a few Grado's this weekend.....Alessandro just might be the ones?  update after the weekend.

The only reason that I didn't mention the Grado 325is was because you said that you wanted something warm and full. I used to own the MS2i, it is beautiful, but it was a little too mellow for me (coming from an SR80i) so I traded a friend for the 325is because it is a more aggressive headphone which I preferred. If I wanted something less aggressive, warmer and fuller bodied, I would have never traded the MS2i. They are both amazing headphones IMO, just different in sound signatures if you ask me.
Good luck, look forward to the update!

Mar 25, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #28 of 31
Ok....Listened to a pair of Grado SR225i at the weekend with some blues/rock and was pleasantly surprised. I liked them !   Now my mission is to track down the Alessandro MS2i, through the adds no doubt as buying direct would be a killer with UK import duties. Thanks to Joseph for pointing me in the right direction.

Mar 25, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #29 of 31
Quote:
Ok....Listened to a pair of Grado SR225i at the weekend with some blues/rock and was pleasantly surprised. I liked them !   Now my mission is to track down the Alessandro MS2i, through the adds no doubt as buying direct would be a killer with UK import duties. Thanks to Joseph for pointing me in the right direction.

Your welcome. Another head-fier in the (GRADO FAN CLUB) thread just received a pair of MS2i's and is loving them right now!
Check out this thread and his comments.
BTW, what is the price for an MS2i in the U.K.?

Mar 28, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #30 of 31
The MS2i cannot be bought new in the UK so the import tax/duty can be up to 85% of the purchase price.  With that in mind my best bet would be to buy on the second hand market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back