Not happy with CD and IPOD.
Dec 27, 2009 at 7:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

bikeboy999

100+ Head-Fier
I really do not like the fact that I have to control my IPOD with crappy s/w. However the CD companies do not do themselves any favours when I can not get my music to rip into Itunes. The CD in question is The Little Willies and explorer sees it as a DVD. I was able to get it to FLAC in Mediamonkey, but I can not get FooBar2000 to see it. I may be doing things wrong but it works for me, I use ITunes to rip lossles to a hard drive, point Foobar to it. And then tell foobar to transfer new files to IPOD. My problem now is how to get TLW to IPOD, any help is much appreciated. And I will buy the most helpful person a beer in Chicago next summer. :)
happy_face1.gif

B

Dec 27, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #2 of 12
If you have it ripped to flac download dbpoweramp (free for the first 30 days) and use it to transcode to alac, aac or whatever format you want on your iPod.

Dec 27, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #3 of 12
Other software is available for iPod syncing (doubletwist). Dunno how good it is, but it's free and not Apple.

Dec 28, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #4 of 12
its hilarious the painful lengths people will go to to avoid using itunes.

Dec 28, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its hilarious the painful lengths people will go to to avoid using itunes.

Have you seen how painful it is to use on Windows? It's utter tripe.

Dec 28, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #6 of 12
Get XPLAY 3 for the PC. Not free, but worth every penny. Suddenly the iPod is just a drive. Do what you want. It does require Windows Media 11, but so what.

Of course you cannot use FLAC on the iPod, so make a high bit rate MP3, then XPLAY 3 will let you move it.

Dec 28, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you seen how painful it is to use on Windows? It's utter tripe.

I have used iTunes since the first Windows version (even before I had an iPod) and can't see what the problem is. It does everything I want/need a music manager to do and the seemless integration with the iPod/iPhone makes it a joy to use but all this is off topic. As I read the original post the problem is that iTunes will not rip/detect this particular cd.

Dec 28, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #8 of 12
indeed it is OT, I wasnt referring specifically to the OP who obviously has a legitimate complaint that may not be itunes specific anyway. no I was just making a general comment as particularly on this forum and others it seems to be rather fasghionable to be anti itunes and often for no other reason than it is the status quo

Dec 28, 2009 at 10:46 AM Post #9 of 12
Amazon shows that The Little Willies is an "enhanced" CD. The enhanced data section of the CD is probably messing up iTunes.

One strategy to try to get the CD to rip in iTunes would be to first rip the CD to a CUE file in EAC (Exact Audio Copy). That would rip the audio section of the CD. Then burn the CUE file to a CDR (or mount it in a virtual drive using something like Daemon Tools) and rip it using iTunes. That way you'll be ripping an audio CD in iTunes (no enhanced garbage) and it would be more likely to work.

I haven't used MediaMonkey much. It may be able to rip a disc to a CUE file as well if you don't want to use EAC.

Dec 28, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #10 of 12
I have riped enhanced CDs to itunes without difficulty. Even if the computer sees files on it, Itunes should also see the music files, is that not happening? Then again, I have a mac which works seamlessly with my ipods and with itunes.

Dec 28, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have used iTunes since the first Windows version (even before I had an iPod) and can't see what the problem is. It does everything I want/need a music manager to do and the seemless integration with the iPod/iPhone makes it a joy to use but all this is off topic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp
indeed it is OT, I wasnt referring specifically to the OP who obviously has a legitimate complaint that may not be itunes specific anyway. no I was just making a general comment as particularly on this forum and others it seems to be rather fasghionable to be anti itunes and often for no other reason than it is the status quo

I know it's OT, but the resource usage of iTunes (and how they tried to sneak in bonjour for the longest time) is inexcusable. Then the fact that there's generally better software available for music management than iTunes and it's not hard to see why many Windows users don't care for it. Now if you're on a Mac it's a different story altogether.

There are valid complaints against it whether you believe it or not. I made my point, I won't comment on it again.

//End OT Rant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back