NOS DAC-AMP Combo - Metrum Amethyst
Nov 28, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #16 of 75
Why does the Amethyst have to little feedback here? It's seems to be quite polular at some review sites and Metrum has several high regarded NOS dacs.

I have a question regarding the soundstage of the Amethyst. I've never listened to NOS and have read a few comments that NOS Dacs have a very flat soundstage. Is this true, especially for headphones (I won't use it for stereo)?
Right now I'm using a Schiit Modi Multibit and would be curious to try the Amethyst.

Well, my Schiit experience is quite limited. But I found the Amethyst and Musette to have quite a wide soundstage but not a bunch of depth. Schiit DACs (especially the higher level ones) have a much larger front to back depth of stage.

I'm also surprised the Amethyst isn't getting talked about here more. Maybe its because Metrum has never really "partnered up" with Head-Fi like other manufacturers have over the years...

Nov 28, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #17 of 75
I never head a Schiit Audio DAC. I've Listened to the Amethyst and the Jade side by side and i own a Amethyst myself. . Altough the Amethyst is no slouch soundstage wise, the soundstage of the Jade is much better. Same goes for seperation, control and transparency.

Nov 28, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #18 of 75
The Metrum Amethyst is quite good. I had one alongside an MHDT Labs Orchid and slightly preferred the latter with my amp/headphones/etc. but it was really a coin toss between them.

It's in the same league as the Schiit Gungnir Multibit (and the aforementioned Orchid), but presents itself in a decidedly non-oversampling manner while avoiding most of the drawbacks of NOS.

If you've heard the Gumby and find it too sharp or not romantic enough, the Amethyst might be just the ticket.

It does deserve a much bigger following than it has here.

Nov 28, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #19 of 75
I own an Amethyst and I am still enjoying it. I think there is something to be said about the depth of soundstage with NOS DACs such as Amethyst. With headphones on, it doesn't sound as deep front to back like my oversampling Theta Digital DAC as some people have said, but it is a very wide image with absolute inky blackness surrounding the music. Tonality it spot on, I never wince listening to high frequencies or feel like there is anything really out of place.

I have only heard the Amethyst so far with headphones on, I haven't switched it over to my speakers. Overall it is a very good DAC, definitely Gungnir MBs strongest competitor and I have heard the Gumby and felt the tone wasn't as pleasant to my ears as my older Theta Digital DS Pro progeny v. A DAC. So this might be the DAC for people who want something in the Gumby range but don't like the highs or presentation of the higher tier Schiit DACs.

May 29, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #21 of 75
Just picked up an Amethyst. I am in the camp with the others who are baffled as to why this hasn't gotten more press. I honestly didn't think the headphone out would be so good. I'm using it as an "all in one" instead of feeding my Arcam rHead.

Simply can't get over the quality and value proposition of this unit. I should mention that I am using iFi nano iUSB3.0 to clean up the USB prior to the Amethyst.

May 30, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #22 of 75
Just picked up an Amethyst. I am in the camp with the others who are baffled as to why this hasn't gotten more press. I honestly didn't think the headphone out would be so good. I'm using it as an "all in one" instead of feeding my Arcam rHead.

Simply can't get over the quality and value proposition of this unit. I should mention that I am using iFi nano iUSB3.0 to clean up the USB prior to the Amethyst.

My Amethyst is fed by a Singxer SU-1 (via coax) and running to a Wells Audio Milo amp that I use with my HE-6. It's an amazing setup. I've been extremely pleased with the Amethyst since I bought it last year from Zach at ZMF. Very detailed, yet natural sound. Wasn't sure I'd like NOS, but my fears were unfounded. This is a very good implementation. As for why no one talks about this DAC, maybe people overlook it because they figure it's a DAC/amp combo and must be compromised. Thing is if you don't use the amp, the circuit is disconnected internally and all power is routed to the DAC.

May 30, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #23 of 75
It really ISNT a Dac/Amp combo. There's no amp stage in it. The voltage from the resister ladder network goes through an impedance change, then the volume pot, then to your cans/ears! It's basically a DAC with a headphone jack that allows you to "tap into" the analog voltage output of the converter. Weird, but effective! I see what you're saying though - people see the jack on the front and think combo = meh.

Open it up and behold the fine components in there. There's not much compromise for the price. I'm a bit floored by it. But my experience doesn't reach very far. I haven't had the opportunity to hear anything else at this price point. So perhaps it's the best I've ever heard, but I guess that's not saying much because I've only heard lower end stuff.

Anyway, now I have to get a better, more resolving amp. It was clear that the Amethyst was being held back when hooked up to my Arcam rHead. Do you think it's because I have "so so" quality interconnects (Audioquest Evergreen 0.6m)? Or likely just not a good enough amp?

May 31, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #24 of 75
It really ISNT a Dac/Amp combo. There's no amp stage in it. The voltage from the resister ladder network goes through an impedance change, then the volume pot, then to your cans/ears! It's basically a DAC with a headphone jack that allows you to "tap into" the analog voltage output of the converter. Weird, but effective! I see what you're saying though - people see the jack on the front and think combo = meh.

Open it up and behold the fine components in there. There's not much compromise for the price. I'm a bit floored by it. But my experience doesn't reach very far. I haven't had the opportunity to hear anything else at this price point. So perhaps it's the best I've ever heard, but I guess that's not saying much because I've only heard lower end stuff.

Anyway, now I have to get a better, more resolving amp. It was clear that the Amethyst was being held back when hooked up to my Arcam rHead. Do you think it's because I have "so so" quality interconnects (Audioquest Evergreen 0.6m)? Or likely just not a good enough amp?

Your interconnects are fine. What aspect do you feel is lacking? I haven't heard it but that seems like a nice amp to me as well. What headphones?

Edit: I released I haven't tried the USB input on the Amethyst. Have you tried the coax or optical to see if the sound changes?

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #25 of 75
Your interconnects are fine. What aspect do you feel is lacking? I haven't heard it but that seems like a nice amp to me as well. What headphones?

Edit: I released I haven't tried the USB input on the Amethyst. Have you tried the coax or optical to see if the sound changes?

I feel I'm getting great sound through USB provided I run it through my USB cleaner (ifi iUSB3.0). However, I have heard that the coax is best on this DAC, and for that reason may pick up a Schiit Eitr and give that a try. It has very good reviews all around as a converter. The USB interface on the Amethyst is no slouch as far as I can tell. XMOS Asynch 8 core with two clocks in there. Pic in link, from my actual unit.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y90fSCsRAPeiupeu2

What's lacking: When my Elears are plugged straight into the DAC, it's sublime. When I switch over to my rHead, the stage shrinks and some of the ethereal "reverb type" of details are glossed over - it's less 3D and less articulate. What I get in exchange for this loss of detail is a nice cohesion of drum hits that have a bit more authority and weight. It's not bad on my rHead, I just feel it's adding a slight veil to the details I now know are present (having hear them direct). The amp presents a slight set back in fidelity, but an increase in "fun" factor. It's due to this detail loss that I'm blaming on the interconnects, or the amp itself. It could be that I'm simply hearing the difference of a direct path with fewer circuits (DAC) vs a signal that's going through more "stuff" before it reaches my cans (Amp). Also, I think the DAC is capable of more than this amp can resolve, which isn't a stretch to assert. The DAC is $1200, the Arcam amp is $600.

I'd like to try a better amp in the 1K range. It needs to be fast because I listen to prog and metal. Suggestions welcome!

May 31, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #26 of 75
I feel I'm getting great sound through USB provided I run it through my USB cleaner (ifi iUSB3.0). However, I have heard that the coax is best on this DAC, and for that reason may pick up a Schiit Eitr and give that a try. It has very good reviews all around as a converter. The USB interface on the Amethyst is no slouch as far as I can tell. XMOS Asynch 8 core with two clocks in there. Pic in link, from my actual unit.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y90fSCsRAPeiupeu2

What's lacking: When my Elears are plugged straight into the DAC, it's sublime. When I switch over to my rHead, the stage shrinks and some of the ethereal "reverb type" of details are glossed over - it's less 3D and less articulate. What I get in exchange for this loss of detail is a nice cohesion of drum hits that have a bit more authority and weight. It's not bad on my rHead, I just feel it's adding a slight veil to the details I now know are present (having hear them direct). The amp presents a slight set back in fidelity, but an increase in "fun" factor. It's due to this detail loss that I'm blaming on the interconnects, or the amp itself. It could be that I'm simply hearing the difference of a direct path with fewer circuits (DAC) vs a signal that's going through more "stuff" before it reaches my cans (Amp). Also, I think the DAC is capable of more than this amp can resolve, which isn't a stretch to assert. The DAC is $1200, the Arcam amp is $600.

I'd like to try a better amp in the 1K range. It needs to be fast because I listen to prog and metal. Suggestions welcome!

What about adding a Schiit SYS in front of the amp? As a passive pre-amp, you can adjust the line level out from the Amethyst so that your amp is running at its optimal range without it getting too loud, too fast, and without having to use digital volume control. Not sure if that's the problem you're having, but you might be surprised what a difference it can make by getting a perfect match with the amp. (and it's a cheap fix)

I'm also a big prog and metal lover. I know exactly what you mean about getting the most authority and weight of drum hits. It's a big deal and not easy to accomplish while still keeping everything else detailed and coherent.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #27 of 75
found the problem.... it WAS the interconnects. I don't purport to be a golden ear, but I'll be darned if these things weren't choking the SQ. I had ordered, simply because I got a good price a while back, Mogami Neglex interconnects (good solder and neutrik connectors). Never got around to installing them, partly because they are a bit shorter, and I'd have to "redo" my audio stand that is next to my listening chair, shuffling and re-stacking components. I'm one of the laziest people you've met and thought good copper is good copper. There's nothing to be gained there, I'll install them later.

Well later came, and the difference was immediate. Basically, I now hear exactly what I'm hearing when I plug into the DAC direct. Staging is the same, the only difference is that my amp is imparting just the right amount of juevos to the sound and making it a very small touch warmer. However no details are lost now. Or if they are, the gap has closed considerably to when I had the AQ cable in there.

So, guys, I'd rec you get good cables (NOT Expensive ones, there's a difference). I actually paid more for the Audioquest than I did for the Mogami's.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T421IG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
vs
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0105SPMV8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jun 1, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #28 of 75
Also,

I just hit send on my Schiit Eitr order. I will be able to compare it to the iFi iUSB3.0 cleaner. I just kept reading about the metrums wanting a good quality Coax, so I had to get the Eitr.

Jun 1, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #29 of 75
adjust the line level out from the Amethyst so that your amp is running at its optimal range without it getting too loud, too fast, and without having to use digital volume control.

Thx, I'm already just slightly past 12 noon (Amethyst to rHead) without invoking digital volume. I'm right in the sweet spot I would think?

Jun 2, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #30 of 75
Thx, I'm already just slightly past 12 noon (Amethyst to rHead) without invoking digital volume. I'm right in the sweet spot I would think?

Pretty much perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back