NOS DAC-AMP Combo - Metrum Amethyst
Feb 21, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #46 of 75
The internal amp isn't really an amp, but an impedance converter and attenuator pot.

I thought it was the best sounding all in one I've heard by far . I used elears and hd600 and both were driven excellently . I used it over my external lyr3 and rHead amps pretty regularly because I found it so transparent .really let the nos goodness come through.

Feb 21, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #47 of 75
Also considering an Amethyst as a secondary device in the office. It does have an Amp but I will probably use a Schiit Lyr2 that I have, which may pair better with my headphones. Does anyone have any impressions of using the Amethyst with an external amp ... SS or Tube/Hybrid ? Also what headphones have you tried with its own internal amp ?

1. Regular PC to Amethyst: Sound is so so.
2. Regular PC to Amethyst to Fisher KX100: Awesome
3. Dedicated audio PC to Amethyst: Close to awesome
4. Dedicated audio PC to Amethyst: Still awesome.

Feb 21, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #48 of 75
Thank-you @buonassi ... very encouraging feedback !

Feb 21, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #49 of 75
@viggen

A lot of awesomeness there ! It will be an office based system, so, I am planning work iMac > Armature Hecate DDC (Singxer F1 equiv) S/PDIF > Amethyst > Lyr2 ... or possibly the internal 'amp' if it's good enough (for me).

Feb 21, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #50 of 75
Hmm, now you guys have me wanting to get a USB converter to try the coax input! Just powered the Amethyst up today. It's still breaking in but I really like what I hear. Off the bat I do prefer using the DAC outputs to my tube amp over using the built-in headphone output, but I'm also just using the RHA 150ohm IEMs at the moment. And like I said, it's not broken in yet. So I'll provide more accurate impressions at a later time.

TWiXjvr.jpg

Feb 21, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #52 of 75
@Velozity, I know this is Metrum DAC thread but I was wondering what tubes you are using in the Audiotailor amp. Thanks.
In that pic he has an RCA 6AS7G power tube and Raytheon 5751 gain stage tube. The Raytheon 5751 w/windmill getter is one of my favorite tubes.

Feb 21, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #53 of 75
@viggen

A lot of awesomeness there ! It will be an office based system, so, I am planning work iMac > Armature Hecate DDC (Singxer F1 equiv) S/PDIF > Amethyst > Lyr2 ... or possibly the internal 'amp' if it's good enough (for me).

Well, I read lot of reviews stating the internal amp is just so so. And, I can confirm that the amp really is just so so and its potential is not unraveled until something is in the chain to clean up the USB signal. In my case, I have a dedicated audio pc with audio grade usb pc card all externally powered.

Feb 21, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #54 of 75
I read lot of reviews stating the internal amp is just so so

Mmmm ... so perhaps it's picky about headphone pairing. I have at my disposal Aeon Flow Open, HD-650 and HD-58x. My thinking is that the Aeon might be a push too far, looking at the spec ... the other two might be OK.

I have not yet come across a USB input that I find (even) OK at price levels I can meet, IMO, hence I tend to convert to S/PDIF either via the Hecate or EITR.

Feb 21, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #55 of 75
In that pic he has an RCA 6AS7G power tube and Raytheon 5751 gain stage tube. The Raytheon 5751 w/windmill getter is one of my favorite tubes.

Yes that's correct. The 5751 is sweet. Tomorrow I'm installing a Mullard CV4004 and and Tung-Sol 5998. I'm expecting a quantum leap in dynamics and warmth, lol.

I've let the Amethyst play all day and it has definitely opened up. I am pretty happy with the USB sound directly out of my late-2012 MacBook Pro (upgraded and dedicated for music) running BitPerfect. Maybe I'll add a USB-SPDIF converter at some point to see if it can get even better, but right now I don't feel like it's absolutely necessary.

Mar 4, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #57 of 75
I finally pulled the trigger on a FLINT but with the DAC TWO chips as an upgrade. I decided that I would probably prefer to use an external AMP and I avoid USB, so FLINT fitted the bill better for me ... and I understand that with the DAC TWO chips it's almost an Amethyst. It's currently 'running in' but with an occasional listen ... sounds really good.

Mar 4, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #58 of 75
I finally pulled the trigger on a FLINT but with the DAC TWO chips as an upgrade. I decided that I would probably prefer to use an external AMP and I avoid USB, so FLINT fitted the bill better for me ... and I understand that with the DAC TWO chips it's almost an Amethyst. It's currently 'running in' but with an occasional listen ... sounds really good.

How much is the chip upgrade? And, it's one chip per channel just like Amethyst?

Mar 4, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #59 of 75
How much is the chip upgrade? And, it's one chip per channel just like Amethyst?
I would like to know, more about this, as well.

Mar 4, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #60 of 75
The DAC TWO chips in the FLINT cost me 100 euros as an upgrade at the time of purchase ... ... yes, there are 2 chips like the Amethyst and they are pin-compatible with the DAC ONE. This makes it nearly an Amethyst ... but with no USB, no AMP and no 30 VA toroidal transformer ... I'm guessing much of that power is required for the AMP alone. The PS in the FLINT is much simpler.

EDIT: prices are + Dutch VAT if in the EU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back