NOS DAC-AMP Combo - Metrum Amethyst
Jun 2, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #31 of 75
I too am considering the Eitr. I was wondering if any of you guys know if it is possible to do the second unfold of an MQA file via the Amethyst's coax? I have the optional MQA module and primarily stream Tidal.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #32 of 75
I would think so, yes. But can't be certain. Why: for one, it's a bonafide and certified mqa module, (but I have no idea if it's classified as a renderer or full decoder). Secondly, the bandwidth of coax being limited to 192khz only applies to what's being sent to the DAC. If the DAC does something to that stream locally, it's after the coax has sent it.

Conjecture on my end keep in mind .would be interested to read more if you stumble upon more info.

edit: the more I think about this... I really don't know. you're essentially asking if the amethyst will do the mqa conversion if USB is not used. that is a good question. I guess it all depends on if the mqa module is in the signal path of all digital inputs, not just USB. Wow, really good question.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #34 of 75
Seeking other Amethyst owners to give this a try.

Download the latest Hiface driver from this site. This is version 4.

If, like me, you were using the driver downloaded from Metrum's site, then you're using version 3.33.

After updating to the latest driver, please share any perceived changes.

To me, the difference is pretty obvious.

Feb 4, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #36 of 75
Feb 5, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #37 of 75
So I've played with the amethyst for over a year, on headphones as well as stereo system. As a dac I've enjoyed it a lot, very natural sounding. The amp I didn't enjoy as much on the senny 650, it isn't bad really but dedicated amps will be better most of the time I suspect.

I've enjoyed it so much I upgraded to the Onyx. Bigger upgrade than I expected! Same tonality, but better on all aspects, more details, better grip on bass, better imaging. Sounds much more grown up overall.

Feb 5, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #39 of 75
I am contemplating on upgrading to Onyx/Jade. But, after updating the Hiface driver, I am not sure whether the difference will be worth it not that I've had the opportunity to hear the Onyx/Jade yet.

But, just the things I've read about what the Amethyst is lacking doesn't seem to be true anymore after the driver update.

Feb 12, 2019 at 1:04 AM Post #40 of 75
not sure if I mentioned this in this thread yet, but ditching USB and feeding it with Eitr or SU-1 was a major step in the right direction. This DAC, at least with the hi-face version I have installed, likes Coax better. Can't say the same for my 2Qute, it's USB all the way for it.

Feb 13, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #41 of 75
not sure if I mentioned this in this thread yet, but ditching USB and feeding it with Eitr or SU-1 was a major step in the right direction. This DAC, at least with the hi-face version I have installed, likes Coax better. Can't say the same for my 2Qute, it's USB all the way for it.

May I ask what your source is? Asking because I just changed my source from a thinkcentre m700 to a dedicated audio pc with matrix usb card and their was a major difference... switching to hiface v4 gave it a boost in the right direction. also using jplay femto and fidilizer pro. I suspect the matrix usb card might be tantamount to using an external usb/spdif in terms of cleaning up the signal.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2019 at 12:31 AM Post #42 of 75
I used mac mini late 2014 as source, also put iFi nano iUSB3.0 inline and had a little improvement. Coax was the ticket for me though, both eitr and su-1. That USB card you have has got to run circles around directly plugging it into standard USB, my friend. I have no doubt you're getting good results with it.

Feb 18, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #43 of 75
I used mac mini late 2014 as source, also put iFi nano iUSB3.0 inline and had a little improvement. Coax was the ticket for me though, both eitr and su-1. That USB card you have has got to run circles around directly plugging it into standard USB, my friend. I have no doubt you're getting good results with it.

Thank you for your feedback. Alleviates my want to try SPDIF input. But, now I sorta want to try an USB filter such as the iFi or Intona.

Feb 21, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #44 of 75
I just ordered one of these to feed my Audiotailor Jade amp. Should be in tomorrow. Can't wait to experience my first R2R DAC. Anyone else using this with an OTL tube amp?

Feb 21, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #45 of 75
Also considering an Amethyst as a secondary device in the office. It does have an Amp but I will probably use a Schiit Lyr2 that I have, which may pair better with my headphones. Does anyone have any impressions of using the Amethyst with an external amp ... SS or Tube/Hybrid ? Also what headphones have you tried with its own internal amp ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back