NOS AKG K1000 new record price?
Apr 30, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #31 of 43
Sorry guys I probably worded this incorrectly...(let's be realistic) once I receive them they probably won't stay in the wrapper.

My point was that I would need a new amp for these as well...which would cost about $2-3k more (looking at the WooAudio 5 perhaps). Might as well put this money into a new amp/cable for my current K701/HD650 setup. This is grounds for another thread I suppose...just wanted to clarify my thoughts and see what everyone else thinks.

Apr 30, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #32 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by izaakr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just purchased a pair of K1000s for $1200...brand new in shrink warp. Should I open them or keep them few years without opening?

Anyone know how much they were worth about 2 or 3 years ago?

I obviously just joined here but I already own a pair of AKG K701, HD650, HD280, and a tube amp (not going to power the K1000s I guess).

saw that auction, congrats. I almost could of pulled the trigger to have a second pair but decided against it. Its a good deal for a NOS K1000 considering the used ones are fetching close to same price. You coud stuff it in a dank closet and probably find some dolt who will shell out 2k in 5 years, provided nobody has released anything similar, but i wouldnt do that. Bust it open and enjoy them. Plus you dont want the worry of it having a malfunction out of box. Doubt it does, but you never know.

And you do not need to blow 2-3k on an amp. Thats rediculous. Theres plenty of very decent power amp options out there in the 1-1.5k range.

Apr 30, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Sorry guys I probably worded this incorrectly...(let's be realistic) once I receive them they probably won't stay in the wrapper.

My point was that I would need a new amp for these as well...which would cost about $2-3k more (looking at the WooAudio 5 perhaps). Might as well put this money into a new amp/cable for my current K701/HD650 setup. This is grounds for another thread I suppose...just wanted to clarify my thoughts and see what everyone else thinks.

There are several modestly priced amps (under $400) that work very well with the K1Ks....

Winsome Labs Mouse, Travagan's Red, Big Joe, etc.

I don't think it is necessary to spend as much for the amp as for the phones.

Apr 30, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Just purchased a pair of K1000s for $1200...brand new in shrink warp. Should I open them or keep them few years without opening?

Anyone know how much they were worth about 2 or 3 years ago?

Congratulations!
k1000smile.gif

Scoring a NOS K1000 these days are quite rare. Missed this one at $1300 a couple of days ago though...

I know HeadRoom sold the K1000 for $359 back in 2002, but I don't think they were as low until they went out of production in 2005.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/who...00-sale-15541/

Apr 30, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations!
k1000smile.gif

Scoring a NOS K1000 these days are quite rare. Missed this one at $1300 a couple of days ago though...

Thats the one he bought. He deducted $100 from MS Cashback.

Apr 30, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #37 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are several modestly priced amps (under $400) that work very well with the K1Ks....

Winsome Labs Mouse, Travagan's Red, Big Joe, etc.

I don't think it is necessary to spend as much for the amp as for the phones.

Yes, or any old receiver or integrated you have lying around. My old Rega Brio did a really good job with the K1000.

Apr 30, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats the one he bought. He deducted $100 from MS Cashback.

Ahaa! I though it was a different pair, since the prices did not match...

Apr 30, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #40 of 43
I've read that the earlier production units sound better than the later. Is there any truth to this? Has anyone done some side-by-side comparisons?

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #41 of 43
I am not sure if the production gap is big enough to qualify as early or late but I have a #6289 and a #10712; I cannot hear any meaningful sonic differences.

Apr 30, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #42 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald North /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read that the earlier production units sound better than the later. Is there any truth to this? Has anyone done some side-by-side comparisons?

I bought a 2nd pair specifically for this purpose. Very brief initial listening did suggest a slight but noticable tonal difference between them, but I haven't re-stuffed the pads on the 2nd pair or calibrated the angle to be exactly the same on both yet. Since it doesn't physically couple to the head/ear, I should be able to reliably compare the frequency response and other measurements between the two to see if differences show up there as well.

May 1, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #43 of 43
A few comments:

-I just received my K1000s and already took them out of the wrap
darthsmile.gif
. Brand new is nice!
-Thanks for the amp suggestions
-I've heard that there is a difference between earlier and later units, but never verified
-I did get the $100 dollar cashback from Ebay. ($1300 originally).
-Watch for one or two more NOS K1000s coming from the same Ebay user if you are thinking of buying. I talked with the seller (circle-5) for a bit and he told me that he had multiple pair that he planned on listing within the next few days. Funny I bought the phones from him on Ebay and he only lives 5 miles away from me...delivered in person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back