Northwest headroom meet - there just wasn't enough time to hear 'em all
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 13, 2001 at 6:27 PM Post #61 of 113
LOL, I think you'd have plenty of company since evidently a lot of Chigago HeadFizers are married...

Besides, I think it takes two people to run Fritz.

Aug 13, 2001 at 6:34 PM Post #62 of 113
Quote:

Originally posted by acidtripwow
If you want steaks then I would suggest Ruth's Chris...

Ha! We have ruth's chris in Portland!
biggrin.gif

Man, what a wierd name...

Aug 13, 2001 at 6:38 PM Post #64 of 113
Thank god for the fact that most of the guys are married! At least, in Chicago.... heh

I just wanna check out the K1000, Senn 600, RS-1, CD3000, and....AKG 401. I will recieve my senn. 495s in a week - it would be interesting to see how the two compare.....

Aug 13, 2001 at 6:57 PM Post #66 of 113
Well, when (not if) headroom comes to chicago, I won't be coming for the food.....no meat for me......and I bet everyone wants to have some steaks, which is kewl with me.

I just want to run around like Neruda and Eric, lol....

Aug 13, 2001 at 7:25 PM Post #67 of 113
I just got back to my PC and read the thread and it looks like Neruda, eric, budgie and tyll have already given you a pretty good rundown. But it was so fantabulous (good word Neruda) and being basically a newbie compared to the other guys I had kind of a different take on the whole experience that I had to share my thoughts.

First of all, having Tyll back that trailer up to your garage and start unloading is incredible - Think of all the metaphors you can and double them - died and went to heaven; the candyman brought the whole candy store - it's truly amazing. I think he might have more headphones than joelongwood. I don't think Neruda and eric mentioned anywhere near all of them and the amps, but it's like Neruda said there's not enuf time. You're back to being 6 yrs. old in the toy store. So - beg, bribe, plead, grovel, tell him your mother's on her deathbed and has to hear the Orpheus before she passes, whatever it takes to get Tyll to bring his show to your town. And, by the way, we're really lucky to have someone of Tyll's enthusiasm about this subject in the group. I guess not everyone agrees about everything all the time, but he's so damn into it it's fun to watch.

Anyway a newbies' impression: (remember up to now my experience was limited to the Senn 600s and Grado 325s) #1: Listening to the Orpheus was like stepping into the concert hall or sitting down in the middle of the band. I went back 3-4 times after listening to selections of the others in between and the effect was the same each time - compared to ANYTHING ELSE it is the ultimate. Absolutely true response across the spectrum, wide soundstage, just right in every way and soooo beautiful a piece of gear. And the phones were the most comfortable of any - absolutely light as a feather - the first ones I've ever tried that I think I could forget I had on. #2: My next phones are k1000s. I didn't think they were as uncomfortable as I guess neruda did, but they do make look pretty geeky, but for that sound who cares. If the Orpheus hadn't been there, for me they were ultimate. In a way i wish I'd saved my Senn money to put toward them. Altho' it didn't seem to matter how the earpieces were angled the sound stage definitely opens up when they're angled out. Obviously for many applications the leakage would be just unacceptable. #3: (at this point I'm just trying to remember stuff - this isn't in any order) the Rs-1s and 2s are right in there with the 1000s, but I couldn't see any reason to pay extra for the 1s. I expected the wood to make them heavier and therefore more uncomfortable than my 325s, but it was the opposite. #4: Final thought - applies to phones and amps and might be most valuable to another newbie. Since one of my motivations in being there was to find out if all this hype about ya' gotta have an amp was true or just hype I tried to pay special attention to the difference between the amps. While there wasn't enuf time (and I don't know enuf about them to start with) to make specific comments about different ones I started noticing that the more expensive ones sounded better than the cheaper ones. Well, DUH you say, but I mean A LOT better. Everyone's auditioned gear in an audio store and you can tell the $2000 speakers are better (or at least different) than the $1000 ones, but twice as good???????? But with the amps I felt, in most cases like I was, for the first time, hearing something that sounded twice or more times as good. For example, I was very disappointed in both Creeks after listening to some of the others (thru several different cans). I'm sure they have good points, but now I'm glad I haven't given in and bought one 'cause I'd much rather put the money toward something better and get a significant improvement in clarity, fidelity, etc. Then I realized I was feeling the same way about the phones too. Since they're so different and everyone is going to react to them very differently I can't say everyone should buy better than they can afford, but I do think now nobody should ever hesitate to upgrade as soon as you can 'cause this is one area where you'll hear the difference (unlike in my opinion in many cases a CD player or tuner upgrade). #5: Real final thought and here I'm just patting myself on the back for passing my first headphone test. When I thought no one was looking I tried the Sony 600s 'cause I was scared to death I was going to think they were ok and then I'd have to resign from head-fi and never listen to music again, but I honest to god involuntarily jerked them off my head'cause they were so bad. Almost hurt my ears. And Tyll sees me, makes a megaphone out of his hands and in a distorted bass yells "SONY HEADPHONES SOUND LIKE THIS" RUMBLE, RUMBLE, RUMBLE.

And Neruda I drank your beer man and it was great.

Aug 13, 2001 at 7:41 PM Post #68 of 113
Quote:

Originally posted by deepriver
When I thought no one was looking I tried the Sony 600s 'cause I was scared to death I was going to think they were ok......

LOL! I laughed so hard reading that I thought I was going to have to find a diaper.

I have this image of you....stealthily approaching the V600's....eyes darting left, right, left, right....nobody's looking.....V600's go on head.....you start snapping fingers to the music.....toes tapping.....eric343 points at you and shouts, "LOOK!" And everyone there starts pointing at you with eyes agog.....like the end scene in the 1978 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers with Donald Sutherland.

At least in real life, you came to the same conclusion most of us have about the V600's.
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2001 at 7:50 PM Post #69 of 113
jude: That's close. Actually, I think Tyll had been taking out some hostility on them. They were the only ones where the cord was literally tied in knots. It took about 5 minutes just to get it untangled and the whole time I was afraid Neruda would see me working on it and get on my case. You have to see Neruda in action to appreciate that - he's almost Tyll's equal in enthusiasm - "hey man you gotta try these" - "dude - listen to these" "eric put these on" "dude these are awesome" All that in the space of about 2 minutes. Hope he isn't offended.

Aug 13, 2001 at 8:05 PM Post #70 of 113
That Corda sounds like it's either been a victim of poor DIY assembly or else just been banged around enough to make the volume knob to twist on the pot's shaft. On the DIY kit I assembled the volume pot is very smooth and the amp is quite solidly constructed. I even tweaked the L-R balance of the pot to get the tracking closer, although I was just being picky.

Aug 13, 2001 at 8:23 PM Post #71 of 113
Yes, just loosen the set screw and move the knob out a smidge and tighten the set screw and then problem is fixed.

Aug 13, 2001 at 9:21 PM Post #72 of 113
The Corda is not a DIY.

The volume pot was not sticking when it left, I will fix it when it comes back.

Anyone who thinks we would sabotage a competitors product thinks we have a lot more free time on our hands than we do. Not to mention the fact that it is an insult to think we would screw up the volume pot to do so. The suggestion implies that we are incompetent, unethical, and plain stupid.

For those of you who were able to attend, thank you for your comments and feedback. They are appreciated. A lot of work by several people here went into the display, I will pass on your comments to them.

Aug 13, 2001 at 9:35 PM Post #73 of 113
I was lucky enough to check out the Headroom display earlier this year at the HE 01 in NY.

and yeah there is a LOT to listen to/touch/see

Those that attended the westy shindig got a taste of it,and tasty it is

too bad Tyll couldn't drag along the Grado,Stax,Sennheiser and wheatfield folks with the individual displays

Where I had an advantage is I could bounce out to see other vendors displays, reload and then hit THE ROOM again , and it was maybe the largest there

And BTW-if I had made this one someone would have had to make another beer run,I drink professionally
biggrin.gif

Ri...urp..ck

Aug 13, 2001 at 9:44 PM Post #74 of 113
I'll also mention that the Corda I built has no volume control problems. Between the volume control problem and the one channel being out, the Corda certainly was in a good position to be misjudged.

It sounds like it was a truly great headphone meet. We have the Bay Area meeting coming up in a couple of weeks. If someone wants to bring a truckload of $160K worth of stuff they're more than welcome. But it sounds like the only thing we'll have that they didn't is a Berning micro-ZOTL and a correctly functioning Corda.

Rotareneg, how did you tweek the channel balance? I don't have any issue with mine but I'm curious.

Aug 13, 2001 at 10:04 PM Post #75 of 113
Yes, evidently something had bumped against the Corda volume knob during shipping. Also, since the left channel on *all* the amps in that display had gone, I couldn't really audition it very well.

Danny: Don't worry, there were *many* amps that compete with HeadRoom's offerings there, and they worked *fine*, so I figured it was unintentional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back