Northern California (San Mateo) Meet - Feb. 26
Mar 1, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #61 of 105
The AMB/Morsel M-cubed amplifier is the real deal. While it is difficult for me to distinguish between two quality solid state amplifiers of similar design (especially in meet conditions), the design of the M-cubed alone is superior to the PPA. The M-cubed was designed from the ground-up as strictly a home-based amplifier; it also uses MOSFETs instead of buffers. When I mentioned that the M-cubed was a PPA-killer I wasn’t referring to its sonic advantage but rather its design. The M-cubed had great synergy with the HD650/Zu (not my balanced one) as well as the dark 600ohm Beyer DT990; it’s my choice for the solid state, single-ended headphone amplifier.

The Sensaphonics 2X-S and Ultimate Ears UE-5 were present at the meet, and the Sensas definitely seemed more robust. I quickly compared the two from Lindrone’s Sony 333ES SACD-modded CDP/Emmeline HR-2 amplifier – while the two certainly didn’t fit well, my preference of the 2X-S agrees with my theoretical judgment based on Lindrone’s review.

The woody/re-cabled CD3000 was also present, and despite what others think it’s still a CD3000 to me (albeit a more natural, less artificial-sounding version). I’ve never been a fan of the CD3K, and comparing it to the R10 is silly, IMO. Sure the detail of the CD3K is much appreciated (and probably what compels folks to drawing such conclusions regarding its abilities), but it lacks much of what makes the R10 so special: its realistic, instrument-placing soundstage, clear, liquid midrange and smooth, yet extremely revealing treble (NOT artificial hyper-treble present in the CD3K). The CD3000 hardly reached Tier 2, and placing it on the level of the R10, HE90, L3000 and HP-1000 is ridiculous and an insult to those aforementioned ‘phones.
rolleyes.gif

The Bel Canto DAC2 and Benchmark DAC1 were next, and to be honest the difference was extremely subtle. However, despite my long and rewarding relationship with the DAC1 I must confess that the slightly smoother treble and warmer midrange of the Bel Canto DAC2 make it the winner in my book (though by a very slight margin). This does not mean that I’m selling my DAC1; the DAC2 lacks the balanced output and headphone amplifier of the DAC1, which are important features to me. The DAC1 is staying with me while the DAC2 remains a memorable 1-night stand.
cool.gif

Comparing my MS1 to my old SR225 revealed that the MS1 is indeed slightly more relaxed-sounding and the SR225 does have more impact-full bass. I still prefer the flats to the other pads, but the vwaps come very close and are even more comfy than the flats (and far cheaper). The bowls still don’t agree with me and those comfies need the quarter-hole mod badly. The RS pads aren’t too bad – for $3 ya can’t say too many negative things so I’m keeping ‘em for now.
rs1smile.gif

The re-cabled K501 through the Gilmore Balanced Reference sounded very clear and warm, far from the cold analytical sound I recall from my fling with the Austrian headphone. While it’s still a bass-less wonder, it sounded close enough to the HE90 (though lacking the Sennheiser’s ultimate natural warmth, vertical soundstage and bass depth, among other facets) for me to consider buying it again (and driving it balanced of course). I wasn’t impressed with the tube amp connected to the computer (over-saturated mids, weak treble and flabby bass), but the E-MU 0404 was certainly a nice soundcard that does sound similar to my 1212M (if slightly less detailed and more aggressive, a true head-to-head would be necessary to truly determine its quality – I should have connected my DAC1 to the 0404 for a nice comparison).

I was a bit disappointed with the RudiStor RP5cav amp. While it was certainly soulful and warm, the bass just wasn’t as tight as I would have liked and the treble seemed fuzzy and sibilant. I wonder about the tubes used and why the HD650/Cardas and HD650/Zu sounded so wrong through that amp. On the other hand, the cheap little HP-100A amp beside the RudiStor amp sounded great with the Sennheiser – perhaps the Rudi amp and the German ‘phones simply lack synergy…or was it a poor choice of tubes?
confused.gif

The Qualias again sounded supremely detailed yet completely un-involving and bright as a mo-fo. There is no phone more resolving that the re-cabled (copper-silver hybrid XLR cable) Qualia 010 driven balanced from the Gilmore Balanced Reference and the Accuphase DP-85 – the resolution was unbelievable but I didn’t enjoy it at all. If one’s main interest in music is the tiny nuance/subtle facets of the recording then the Qualia is one’s ultimate headphone. I listen to music to relate to the passion, creativity and technique of the performers/composers so other headphones suit me better.

The R10 sounded very nice out of the Gilmore Balanced Reference, but I preferred it driven by the Audio-Technica DHA3000. I will reserve judgment of the R10 until I hear it through Alex’s forthcoming Singlepower Balanced SDS amp, because as much as I dislike tubes I admit the R10 loves ‘em. Still I’ll take the R10 any day over the Qualia (with any amp too) – sure the Qualia has that last bit of detail and resolution that the R10 lacks (as well as a more present bass response), but the R10’s natural-as-life midrange and surreal soundstage places it in my top 3, a place the Qualia is not welcome.

The L3000 sounded best through its own amp, the DHA3000. The L3000 actually sounds more balanced than the R10, but it lacks the Sony’s midrange magic and “you are here” soundstage – it also lacks the R10’s instrument placements and ultimate resolution. I’m still not a fan of Audio-Technica’s headphones, but the L3000 is easily their best effort and it’s a terrific headphone (surprisingly enough it also has great synergy with its soul-mate amp). The L3000 is a top-5 headphone and leagues better than any other AT phone, IMO (especially the hollow, overrated W2002).
plainface.gif

The HP-2s were here, and Alex’s pair had the Joe Grado Ultra-wide Bandwidth cable while Kurt’s had the Standard cable. I’d like to say there was a night-and-day difference (or even a subtle, sunset-and-dusk difference), but the truth is I could hear no variance at all. Perhaps a prolonged listening session in an appropriate facility would reveal such nuances, but the 10-minutes-in-a-loud-meet-room session simply was not sufficient to draw any conclusions. I would still choose the HP-2 with the JGUWB cable because the title is so long. Yeah the HP-2 was more accurate than the PS-1 throughout the spectrum (especially the detailed bass), but the PS-1 is just so much more fun. Listening to the funky live Dave Weckl album and later the groovy Stevie Wonder masterpiece, Innervisions (yes I prefer Talking Book but Innervisions is a better-recorded album) highlighted the PS-1 bass bloat that I love and hate so much. With many albums the hyped bass would present an insurmountable distraction but many rock/hip hop/funk records sound so fun who cares (as long as the HE90 is nearby for everything else). The HP-2 rendered jazz so well but after 5 minutes I was ready for nap-time. The PS-1 lulled me out of my slumber and forced me to boogie – and I’m a terrible boogier. So I admit, I prefer the euphonic PS-1 to the more accurate, technically superior HP-1000 – sue me.
biggrin.gif

Finally the HE90 is donned yet again. I cannot deny my love for this headphone and it pains me every time it’s in my vicinity, for I realize the love is prohibited. Sure the Qualia is slightly more detailed and clear, the R10’s midrange is slightly fuller and the PS-1 has impact to die for. However, none of them can reproduce the HE90’s charm with any convincing authority. The HE90 features a natural, warm midrange that is actually addictive to some cultures. The soundstage is at least as wide as the SR-007 (Omega II – not present at this meet) and more accurate with regards to instrument placement than even the R10. It even demonstrates better vertical positioning than the (maligned at this meet) K1000. The bass is deep and warm, though it can never reach the impact of the best dynamic ‘phones – I don’t care. The treble is detailed and resolving, though never, ever harsh, a quality that the Qualia wished it could achieve. I don’t really need to say anything else about the HE90, as I’ve been gushing about them since I borrowed Alex’s rig. The HE90 is the sound I look for in a headphone system and it really sucks that it’s so expensive. However, a KGSS/HE60 rig is a lot cheaper than the Blue Hawaii/HE90 system…
orphsmile.gif

The SuperMacro was my choice for gotta-have-it device. It presented a large improvement over the headphone output of my iMP-550 and was so portable. Its ability to use both batteries and AC is another win for me (I can use it at work without worrying about batteries and then un-plug it for those long trips with my HD25/MS1). I cannot think of a more versatile headphone amplifier. The SuperMacro is the only meet gear that has persuaded towards a purchase so quickly.

I met so many great people at this meet (and re-visited with old friends). The Head-Fi community really is something special – our passion for music and its reproduction unite us. Thank you to Frank and his cousin for hosting this event; thanks to Christina and Ti for designing such a great amp; thanks to Alex for bringing his esoteric arsenal; thank you Clarke for bringing your cool switch box, table and delicious cookies (thanks again for “forgetting” them here for me to enjoy); thank you Lindrone for letting me see those high-end canal-phones; thank you Xin for designing such a versatile amplifier; thank you Justin for sharing your stuff yet again; and finally, thank you Bruce, everything (cool guy, great pilot and cover-charge payer) – this is easily our 4th or 5th meet, man! I had a blast as usual, and I invite anyone to hear the K1000 in a more congenial environment.
k1000smile.gif
Alex – the HD650/Blockhead is my favorite dynamic system but the DAC1/HD650 doesn’t suck THAT much!
wink.gif
I’m glad the BlockHead at least quelled the outright hatred you felt towards the HD650. I’m already anticipating the next meet, people (and maybe the baby Orpheus will attend).
evil_smiley.gif

Top 5 Rigs:
1. Blue Hawaii/HE90
2. Blockhead/HD650
3. DHA3000/R10
4. DHA3000/L3000
5. Gilmore Balanced Reference/Qualia 010

Mar 1, 2005 at 10:01 PM Post #62 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
The Sensaphonics 2X-S and Ultimate Ears UE-5 were present at the meet, and the Sensas definitely seemed more robust. I quickly compared the two from Lindrone’s Sony 333ES SACD-modded CDP/Emmeline HR-2 amplifier – while the two certainly didn’t fit well, my preference of the 2X-S agrees with my theoretical judgment based on Lindrone’s review.

It's actually a CE775 SACD-modded.. which is closely related to 333ES and 222ES modified anyway. After modification I think only the 555ES will sound on a different level than 333ES/222ES/CE775, since the later three shares a lot of the same components after mods (not sure about 333ES, but I know 222ES and CE775 has exactly the same parts after mods).

Quote:

I met so many great people at this meet (and re-visited with old friends). The Head-Fi community really is something special – our passion for music and its reproduction unite us.

Thanks to you too NeilPeart... for being easily the most entertaining members of the meet... I mean, between the K1000 street fair and the failed double-blind A/B test... This is the most fun I've had at a meet yet
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #63 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
thank you Clarke for bringing your...delicious cookies (thanks again for “forgetting” them here for me to enjoy)

The ultimate audiophile tweak...all headphones sound better with chocolate chip cookies!
tongue.gif

Mar 1, 2005 at 10:08 PM Post #64 of 105
comparing a K501 (hope Jorg doesn't mind me using it for a few minutes) and the HE90 right now... and I don't hear this similarity thing, other than they both seem to reproduce music relatively well and are musical. (no signature resemblance.) maybe its the recabling that makes it sound more HE90-like? I highly doubt it though....

maybe it's better if I don't bring high end headphones to meets and stick with stuff like the HP2 and W100 if I do bring headphones... apparently no one got a good listen to them and it doesn't seem that they got the attention they deserve (IMO of course). we really should have tried to go for a better listening environment and move all conversations elsewhere, since apparently that was a major factor in this. if I'm wrong, please correct me.

raif and toor got another take with my gear back at my apartment in a quiet setting so maybe they can compare the two settings and if there were any differences between them.

one thing, the R10 didn't have any system there that was a good match for it (DHA3000 I think was best, but still not too good.) thus I wasn't planning on bringing it. same thing for the Qualia 010... haven't found a system that works well with it, though the Balanced Reference is the best I've heard it so far. hopefully both of these will sound a lot better when the balanced SDS comes. I was hoping it would be here for the meet... but it's not here yet... and even if I had it, probably couldn't have brought it to the meet due to its size. I assume people knew this, but just stating it to make sure.

having four (or more) setups present probably isn't too good either. too many things to deal with... so next time I'm only going to bring one or two setups at the most.

anyways, if people really want to have a good listen to my headphones in a setting that isn't a "meet condition" send me a PM and I'll see what I can arrange. I probably have time during most afternoons and the weekends for small meetings, like the ones I had at the beginning of this year.

Mar 1, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #65 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
maybe it's better if I don't bring high end headphones to meets and stick with stuff like the HP2 and W100 if I do bring headphones... apparently no one got a good listen to them and it doesn't seem that they got the attention they deserve (IMO of course).

That really wasn't the problem in my case. I've gone to plenty of loud meets before where I can still find headphones and qualities about them that made me go... "Wow"...

It's simply that diminishing return hits very hard, and whatever improvements that I've found with these uber headphones isn't worth the price difference to me. Not only that, is that I don't find any of them perfect, and if I was going to pay that high of a price and still find imperfection, I may as well not pay for it at all.

What it comes down to is, I don't want to spend $10,000 and still think, "Man, I wish I had a little more of (fill in the blank)"... and all of them still leaves me feeling that way.

Mar 1, 2005 at 10:26 PM Post #66 of 105
lindrone - I think your impressions were fairly reasonable and are not too far off from what I might say (haven't tried a CD3000 in a while so cannot say anything about that), but when some people put the CD3000 in the same class as the HE90 I find that very hard to believe.

anyways, want to let me borrow your CD3000 with woodies?
wink.gif
lol.

and most of the stuff I got for probably a lot less than what you might think I got them for... so that makes it slightly more reasonable, for me at least.

Mar 1, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #67 of 105
The 501 thing was more of a joke than anything else, but honestly it did sound somewhat similar when a few of us listened(leeav, I, some other people). It was more a comment on how loud everyone was than a true statement on the relative sound qualities.

I would highly suggest any members that have issues with the higher end gear to head to alex's and give them a genuine listen. By the end of the meet, my hearing was shot to heck, but I could still hear "night and day"[re. head-fi speak] differences between the uber-phones and their cheaper counterparts.

When I listened to the qualia at the meet, I wouldn't have even placed it in the "third tier" of headphones. After getting to the house though, it was an entirely different experience.

All in all, I wouldn't suggest anyone trying to draw conclusions about any of the headphones' fidelity, outside of sound signature, from a meet setting. Most of this site is dedicated to gaining the last 10-15% out of our rigs and in a meet, you would be lucky to distinguish even the top 50.

Hell, I could barely tell the difference between the orpheus and the k501.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 1, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #68 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by raif
The 501 thing was more of a joke than anything else, but honestly it did sound somewhat similar when a few of us listened(leeav, I, some other people). It was more a comment on how loud everyone was than a true statement on the relative sound qualities.

darn!! I was hoping I could sell my HE90 and replace it with a much cheaper K501 setup. anyways... I was expecting as much as do agree that another room for talking would be good to have at meets. wish I heard the magical K501 at the meet that sounded just like the HE90.
biggrin.gif

I may be organizing a meet for next month (or may if necessary)... and will try to get two rooms somewhere nice for this purpose.
wink.gif
watch out for a related thread to appear soon.

Mar 1, 2005 at 10:52 PM Post #69 of 105
Quote:

maybe it's better if I don't bring high end headphones to meets and stick with stuff like the HP2 and W100 if I do bring headphones... apparently no one got a good listen to them and it doesn't seem that they got the attention they deserve (IMO of course). we really should have tried to go for a better listening environment and move all conversations elsewhere, since apparently that was a major factor in this. if I'm wrong, please correct me.

I dunno, I know I really appreciated the opportunity to hear your HE90 set up, and I believe a lot of other people did as well.

I would certainly understand if you didn't want to bring so much stuff to the meets (I know I'm keeping it to one box next time), just so you can relax and enjoy yourself more.

I proposed the idea a while back of having listening and conversating in two different rooms...I didn't really want to push it, this being my first meet and all, but I'm open to the idea. Maybe we can try it out the next time we do a big one, if we find we don't have as much fun we can always go back to the 'old way' later on.

Mar 1, 2005 at 10:55 PM Post #70 of 105
Quote:

...but when some people put the CD3000 in the same class as the HE90 I find that very hard to believe...

That would be me. But keep in mind that no phones/system, with the noise in the room, could reveal the tape pre-echo in my test CD. And that the closed woodies probably let through at least 20db less noise than the HE90s.

I believe that those of you who seem able to draw large, dramatic, and detailed distinctions between the phones, esp. the open phones, are working from your memory of previous experiences. I don't dis-believe you: I might well come to similar conclusions in a quiet environment.

If I was you, ayt999, I'd still bring the big guns. They don't show off as best as they could, but otherwise, you'd have to invite us all to your place in small groups to ruin us
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #71 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by eweitzman
keep in mind that no phones/system, with the noise in the room, could reveal the tape pre-echo in my test CD.

I would really like to hear that pre-echo on your test CD.
wink.gif

Quote:

If I was you, ayt999, I'd still bring the big guns. They don't show off as best as they could, but otherwise, you'd have to invite us all to your place in small groups to ruin us
biggrin.gif

I thought I was already doing that as of a few posts prior to this. I hope I don't get too many requests. that'll probably be too much. haha.

Mar 1, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #72 of 105
Quote:

wink.gif

Listen for it on the first track, "Old Country," on this album. The second pre-echo of the words "I waited" in the second line of the song is audible on most mid-quality systems. The first (earlier) pre-echo eludes most systems, and that's the one I'm talking about. This album has lots of little engineering warts I listen for when evaluating a system's resolution, but it's a favorite musical reasons.

edit: I'm sure that most systems at the meet will pick this up in when they're in a quiet place. I can hear it on the 650s and HP-100a.

Mar 1, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #73 of 105
Quote:

wink.gif

I thought I was already doing that as of a few posts prior to this. I hope I don't get too many requests. that'll probably be too much. haha.

LOL, you can start charging admission!!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2005 at 12:16 AM Post #74 of 105
I missed this meet. Sniff.
frown.gif

Mar 2, 2005 at 2:17 AM Post #75 of 105
Quote:

Listen for it on the first track, "Old Country," on this album. The second pre-echo of the words "I waited" in the second line of the song is audible on most mid-quality systems. The first (earlier) pre-echo eludes most systems, and that's the one I'm talking about.

That's weird! Never noticed a "pre-echo" before. My gear is still packed up from the meet, but I can hear the second one just with my 225s plugged into the headphone jack on my computer...you hear a faint "I" about a full second before the actual line.

I haven't found the elusive "first pre-echo" yet...where is it in relation to the 'click' sound she makes with her mouth as she opens it to sing?

Good swingin' track, btw...I'm not a huge fan of singers, but for some reason I've always found Dianne Reeves to be pretty cool. Thanks for the recommendation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back