normalizing 320kbps mp3 audio, should or should I not help
Feb 2, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #16 of 19
Hi all 

Thamks for all the help it worked a treat on the test I done but just a couple more questions. 

Q1 most of my music are ripped flac files and have a db of around 94db to 100db but a few at the 97db mark and wanted to know would it not be best to normalize the audio at 97db for all music instead of 89db as it should do less volume adjustment. 

Q2 I still notice some albums seem lower volume even thought I applied the same db levels to my music. Have u noticed this an do u up the db to level them ?

Cheers

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #17 of 19
I don't know if MP3gain works on FLAC. At 97db, I would say that the risk of clipping in the music, i.e. distortion, is much bigger than with 89db. I prefer to use the volume control on my DAP instead of having the volume in the files themselves maximized...

Even if two albums are normalized to the same volume, they might sound different. It might have to do with production and mastering. A rock album from the seventies and a rock album from 2012 will sound like they have different volume even if they both are normalized to the same volume. Nowadays volume is pushed up on the production and especially the mastering stage so as to make the music LOUD. It is pretty sad since it kills all dynamics in the music...

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #18 of 19
Mp3gain does not work on flac and if you do album gain not every track will be at 89 dB (or whatever value you set) only the loudest track will be at 89 dB, the other tracks will be less in order to maintain the dynamic dirrefence from the originals. If you really want everything at 89 dB you have to do track gain but then the very quiet solo flute part will be as loud as full tutti of the whole symphony orchestra (if it happened to be 2 seperate tracks)

Feb 2, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #19 of 19

Quote:
Mp3gain does not work on flac and if you do album gain not every track will be at 89 dB (or whatever value you set) only the loudest track will be at 89 dB, the other tracks will be less in order to maintain the dynamic dirrefence from the originals. If you really want everything at 89 dB you have to do track gain but then the very quiet solo flute part will be as loud as full tutti of the whole symphony orchestra (if it happened to be 2 seperate tracks)

+1

Average volume of the album is what you have to consider. Not the volume of the individual tracks of an album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back