normalizing 320kbps mp3 audio, should or should I not help
Jan 26, 2012 at 12:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

meridius

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all

I have just bought a pair of westone 4r and I listen to 320kbps music. The problem is alot of music has different volumes levels and wanted to know what the best way to normalize my music. 

I have about 100 albums and want each to sound the same level without losing quality, is there a good way to do this or is it a bad idea. 

Thanks. 

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #2 of 19
Replaygain is probably your best bet.

Jan 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #4 of 19

Quote:
Replaygain is probably your best bet.

I use MediaMonkey, which has ReplayGain built in. Typically, ReplayGain adds metadata to the track without altering the original audio data. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReplayGain

"Alternatively, a tool can amplify or attenuate the data itself and save the result to another, gain-adjusted audio file; this is not perfectly reversible in most cases." When listening on my computer, I prefer NOT to do this and let MediaMonkey use its Volume Leveling feature. 

Most DAPs/mp3 players have similar ReplayGain support. Some have a separate Volume Normalizing feature (e.g. Sony players). I circumvent the Sony version because I also use MediaMonkey to transfer songs to my DAP. Then what I do is set up a transfer rule to adjust the track volume (permanently) on transfer. This means on my player the volume has been permanently changed, but on my computer the song contains the original audio data. I'm not sure if this is better or worse for audio quality, but it's damn convenient. 

Some swear by Foobar, but if you can't tell, I love MediaMonkey. 
gs1000.gif

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #6 of 19
What software are you using to play your music? iTunes has Sound Check, which does the same thing as ReplayGain.

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #7 of 19
I use MP3gain and it works perfectly. The volume of the MP3 file is changed, but it can be reversed with MP3gain. You can try it on a few albums.

Remember to not use "track gain" on albums. First import the album that you want to change the volume on, then mark the songs and choose "analyze album gain". After the is done, choose "album gain". I usually set the volume to around 89dB. That gives me more headroom and I can raise the volume on my MP3 player instead of the songs themselves having ear deafening volume.

MP3gain will analyze the volume of all songs in a folder, so if you have artist X on your HDD with subfolders containing albums 1, 2, 3 etc, each album will get a different value. If you have all the albums of an artist in the same subfolder, the songs will get one value, so I would not recommend that. The best thing is to have an artist folder and then one folder for each and every album.

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #8 of 19
Thanks all

I use iTunes but listen to my music oon my iPhone and iPad but the sound option never seems to work right. 

I have my music folders setup a artist folder and in there morefoldes of the albums name. 

If I use album gain will all my albums by different artist be the same volume as others?  It's just I tried a couple of albums and set them to 91db but one album still slightly louder than the other which is strange as I did track gain to 91db. 

So would album gain fix this instead of the track gain. 

Cheers

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
Thanks all

I use iTunes but listen to my music oon my iPhone and iPad but the sound option never seems to work right. 

I have my music folders setup a artist folder and in there morefoldes of the albums name. 

If I use album gain will all my albums by different artist be the same volume as others?  It's just I tried a couple of albums and set them to 91db but one album still slightly louder than the other which is strange as I did track gain to 91db. 

So would album gain fix this instead of the track gain. 

Cheers

If you strictly listen to albums, I would advise you to not use track gain on an album folder. Track gain will adjust the volume of each song to the value that you have set, i.e. in your case 91db. The dynamics of the album will be lost that way. It is best to use album gain on an album since it will keep the dynamics of the album and not make soft and quiet songs as loud as more up-tempo songs.

Have you removed tags from the louder album? There might be replay gain tags that mess everything up. Best to check that first. MP3tag is a good software that gives you an overview of tags on MP3 songs.
If there are no replay gain tags, you could always make the volume a bit lower than on the other albums. Like 90 or 89 db...

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #10 of 19
You can also use dbpoweramp with it's replaygain plugin, which will actually set both track & gain levels for each file, so you can select say , track level when shuffling tracks, or album level when playing single whole albums. I know Rockbox as an example gives you options to set how/when you wish replaygain to work. The great thing about this is that it only changes the level flag inside the id tag, so the actual mp3 isn't physically being changed.

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #11 of 19
I use MP3gain and it works perfectly. The volume of the MP3 file is changed, but it can be reversed with MP3gain. You can try it on a few albums.

Remember to not use "track gain" on albums. First import the album that you want to change the volume on, then mark the songs and choose "analyze album gain". After the is done, choose "album gain". I usually set the volume to around 89dB. That gives me more headroom and I can raise the volume on my MP3 player instead of the songs themselves having ear deafening volume.

MP3gain will analyze the volume of all songs in a folder, so if you have artist X on your HDD with subfolders containing albums 1, 2, 3 etc, each album will get a different value. If you have all the albums of an artist in the same subfolder, the songs will get one value, so I would not recommend that. The best thing is to have an artist folder and then one folder for each and every album.

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

This is also what I use (though I use the aacgain version that also supports aac files) and it's really important to use album gain and do gain adjustments on a per album level or you kill all dynamic variation within an album

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #13 of 19
It can make it both better or worse depending on the dB value you use. I normally go for 89dB.

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #14 of 19
Thanks would 91db be ok ? Most music I have are ripped at a 98db level 

Also when I change the audio level it has a y under the clipped tab but nothing under the track clip or album clip ? So is my music been clipped or not as it seems it does not matter what setting I use a y comes under clipped tab only 

Thanks

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #15 of 19
It might be, probably depends on the individual track.

I must confess that I have never fully understood the clipping indications in mp3gain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back