Nordost Thor is in the house!!!
Sep 27, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #33 of 133
Any chance we can get a closeup of that line filter, either on yours or the audiogon listing? I am incredibly curious exactly what it is.

Also, well, the insides are a bit disappointing. From a company like Nordost I was expecting something more like these, essentially a filter built around a 200 pound copper toridal. I can't help but think of that infamous thread on another site where people tore these basic conditioners apart
frown.gif

Sep 27, 2007 at 12:49 PM Post #36 of 133
Can anyone answer some genuine questions for me? I am curious.

What components are in the Thor that are not in some of the power supplies of high end components? I always thought that dirty AC was filtered out of all put the crappiest made power supplies. Is this correct? How is it that computer power supplies, as noisy as they are, are able to do a million + instructions per second at ghz frequencies without missing a beat, but audio systems can't reproduce 20 khz signals unless the ac power is clean?

Some will call this a troll post, but I would like to hear some facts from Chesebert or others who are familiar with AC power and power supplies. I would like to know what this unit really does.

Sep 27, 2007 at 1:20 PM Post #37 of 133
why don't you just take people's experiences and observations at face value. to me, they are as valid - if not more valid - than any numbers or graphs, theories, etc. we're not electrical engineers here. we are audiophiles.

Quote:

I'm not an E.E., so a lot of the time when I report on a new technology or an unexpected consequence of an old one, I have to rely on what I do know and understand. Whenever a manufacturer makes a claim for a product that I do not know for a fact to be true, I try to indicate that the claim is just that, a claim. And I try not speculate about why something happens when I don't understand it -- I simply report what I have heard. - wes philips

Sep 27, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #38 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i agree.

they try to ruin every thread in this part of the forum with their inane questions.

Amen. It's petty jealousy and quite disturbing. Skywalker Studios, Sony Japan, Sony New York, Rick Rubin, Astoria Studios (owned by Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour), etc, etc... those people only use this "snake oil" because they stupid and gullible. "I've taken Engineering 101 and got a C+, so I am position to tell RECORDING GIANTS what they obviously don't know."

Sep 27, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #39 of 133
Quote:

they try to ruin every thread in this part of the forum with their inane questions.

We should just take everything everyone says literally and not think for ourselves. Learning is bad.

Sep 27, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #40 of 133
Quote:

I'm all for debate in a thread about whether cables work or not. This is not one of those threads. Go back to your iPods and your $50 earbuds and convince yourself it doesn't get any better.

What was the purpose of this thread? Were only comments praising the looks of it and kissing your ass allowed? There is a huge gap between iPods and $50 earbuds and $3000 power conditioners and most of us fall between that gap.

Just because we don't have $3K CD players and $3K power conditioners, doesn't mean we work at McDonalds and can not afford high end gear. Most of us just choose to spend our money on other things and determine if certain components are worth it. I am not saying you power conditioner is not worth it. I am curious what it does.

Sep 27, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #41 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What was the purpose of this thread? Were only comments praising the looks of it and kissing your ass allowed? There is a huge gap between iPods and $50 earbuds and $3000 power conditioners and most of us fall between that gap.

Just because we don't have $3K CD players and $3K power conditioners, doesn't mean we work at McDonalds and can not afford high end gear. Most of us just choose to spend our money on other things and determine if certain components are worth it. I am not saying you power conditioner is not worth it. I am curious what it does.

I don't have problems with constructive questions at all. I just don't like it when people like Lawngnome show up and start telling everybody how big of an idiot I am for buying it and it turns into an anti-cable crusade thread.

Sep 27, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #42 of 133
Wow, I just found the ignore tool. LawnGnome is history, so this thread should be more enjoyable.

Apologies to anyone else I offended; he just tends to put me in a bad mood with his know-it-all-ness.

Sep 27, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #43 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electron Tube /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I for one am glad to have seen the insides of a product that I will never buy in the future now that I've seen it.

So there's a correlation between how something looks and how it sounds? Is the correlation that the more crowded the unit, the better it sounds? I'm lost here.

Sep 27, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #44 of 133
you are not the first person who has tried to ignore lawngnome and other members of the anti-cable crusade, but i think ignore only works for pms and stuff. unfortunately, i think you will still continue to see his/their obnoxious posts. the funny thing is i never see these people in other parts of the forum discussing gear or music, which leads me to believe that they just sit here in the cable section all day waiting for threads to emerge - their new victims.

looks like another one may have popped up ^

Sep 27, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #45 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you are not the first person who has tried to ignore lawngnome and other members of the anti-cable crusade, but i think ignore only works for pms and stuff. unfortunately, i think you will still continue to see his/their obnoxious posts. the funny thing is i never see these people in other parts of the forum discussing gear or music, which leads me to believe that they just sit here in the cable section all day waiting for threads to emerge - their new victims.

looks like another one may have popped up ^

Nope... his name is there but the post itself is gone. Oh my god, this will lower my blood pressure by 20 points!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back