Nordost Thor is in the house!!!
Sep 22, 2007 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 133

earwicker7

Headphoneus Supremus
I have no time to write anything long because I'm going back to listen, but I have to post my initial response--

HOLY S**T!!! It is unreal how much this thing has opened up my system. Un... be... lievable.

That's all folks.

Sep 22, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #3 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's one sweet unit. are you using nordost power cords with it as well.

No. I've currently got Cardas Twinlinks on everything, although I've got a Shunyata Anaconda on the way. Nordost recommends having at least one nice power cord to put between the wall and the Thor. God, I hope it doesn't make as much of a difference as it probably will... this could kill the money I'm wanting to put towards a new car
eek.gif

Sep 22, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 133
I would try Ayre's conditioner at half the price before touching the Nordost stuff. Actually before doing that I would upgrade your home wiring for dedicated runs to each socket (audiophile grade) from a dedicated sub-panel. I would run as many outlet as the num of components I have or plan to have in the future; so that every component get its own run to the sub-panel. yes a bit of extreme, but works wonders
wink.gif

conditioner makes much less of a difference if you have nice home wiring.

Sep 22, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #6 of 133
Congratulations!
It sure looks like a well built power conditioned. But at $3200 (or around there) you should expect nothing but top notch anyway.
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #8 of 133
More impressions after a few hours of listening...

I now understand the "music is more three dimensional" idea that I've read in some reviews. I thought that this would be impossible just due to the nature of headphones, but it turns out it isn't. Here's my theory... the low level detail on this unit is unreal. I noticed on one of the really old Pink Floyd CDs that there was an audible echo when the drum was working alone. I had never heard this echo in years of listening to this album. I think that being able to actually hear extremely subtle cues like this gives one the sense of three dimensionality.

I now know what people mean when they say they "hear the room". This unit has done as much to improve the sound as any other piece I've added. Highly highly recommended; before you decide to spend $3K after trade-in on upgrading to a new CD player or turntable, see if you can demo one of these. I'd warrant that you'd see a much better return.

Sep 22, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #9 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would try Ayre's conditioner at half the price before touching the Nordost stuff. Actually before doing that I would upgrade your home wiring for dedicated runs to each socket (audiophile grade) from a dedicated sub-panel. I would run as many outlet as the num of components I have or plan to have in the future; so that every component get its own run to the sub-panel. yes a bit of extreme, but works wonders
wink.gif

conditioner makes much less of a difference if you have nice home wiring.

I've posted before about a dedicated mains and figured out it would be impossible to do in a third floor rental.

Is this somehow different? I'm all for it if it's feasible.

Sep 23, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #10 of 133
I've listened to this for an entire day, and I'm ready to commit to the following statement--this thing has made more of a difference than ANY addition to my system with the exception of switching from crap Best Buy headphones to audiophile headphones. More than adding a headphone amp, more than adding vinyl, more than adding tubes, more than changing from stock power cords. I have never in my life heard music this real without it being live. This thing is sick in the most complementary way. If you can afford one, you must must must try to arrange a 30 day trial. This thing DESTROYS my PS Audio P500, and that was a quite nice power supply. It would kill me to go back.

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #11 of 133
quite an endorsement. just not in my budget to even try one.

the Thor adresses the problems of mains noise and voltage spikes and is wired throughout with valhalla power cable, so unless your AC line was very dirty, the improvements you are hearing could be the valhalla itself - improved signal transfer.

on another note, this thing is damn expensive, as it does not even come with a power cord to connect it the main outlet, and of course nordost recommends that you use one of their cords for this purpose. if you are going to charge 3k for a unit, you have to help out the buyer a little.

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #12 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've listened to this for an entire day, and I'm ready to commit to the following statement--this thing has made more of a difference than ANY addition to my system with the exception of switching from crap Best Buy headphones to audiophile headphones. More than adding a headphone amp, more than adding vinyl, more than adding tubes, more than changing from stock power cords. I have never in my life heard music this real without it being live. This thing is sick in the most complementary way. If you can afford one, you must must must try to arrange a 30 day trial. This thing DESTROYS my PS Audio P500, and that was a quite nice power supply. It would kill me to go back.

well...I will see if this is better than the Ayre conditioner (when I have more $$)

I still have my doubts on these high-priced power conditioners as I have a dedicated circuit for my audio stuff. ..but I will try nevertheless.

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #13 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More impressions after a few hours of listening...

I now understand the "music is more three dimensional" idea that I've read in some reviews. I thought that this would be impossible just due to the nature of headphones, but it turns out it isn't. Here's my theory... the low level detail on this unit is unreal. I noticed on one of the really old Pink Floyd CDs that there was an audible echo when the drum was working alone. I had never heard this echo in years of listening to this album. I think that being able to actually hear extremely subtle cues like this gives one the sense of three dimensionality.

I now know what people mean when they say they "hear the room". This unit has done as much to improve the sound as any other piece I've added. Highly highly recommended; before you decide to spend $3K after trade-in on upgrading to a new CD player or turntable, see if you can demo one of these. I'd warrant that you'd see a much better return.

Sounds awesome! No pun intended
580smile.gif

Now to start saving some more money so I can hear one of these for myself! Thanks for the review man!

Sep 23, 2007 at 8:34 AM Post #14 of 133
Yep, power is important, and very tricky to get right in a home situation. That's why higher-end recording studios have specific outlets just for musical gear, and a ton of signal isolation.

Glad to see that you found a solution... I just wish it was a little less expensive.
280smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back