Nordost Thor is in the house!!!
Sep 27, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #46 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electron Tube /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ever hear of endorsement?

Of course, but these are people who are actually known to use them during recording, not just give a wink and a nod for a review clip.

Sep 27, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #47 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope... his name is there but the post itself is gone. Oh my god, this will lower my blood pressure by 20 points!

may have to try that out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 27, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #48 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
may have to try that out.
smily_headphones1.gif

User CP-->Buddy/Ignore List-->type in "LawnGnome" in the ignore list-->Save List

This is the first person I've ignored; I'm a big free speech person but he is just too much trouble. I've NEVER seen him add anything of value to a conversation; all he does is flame people.

Sep 27, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #49 of 133
i agree. there is probably about 2k worth of valhalla wiring in there (maybe more; i'm sure patrick could tell us how much is in there); but still, you think that for that price they would include a short (3-4 feet) vishnu or even a shiva - their most entry level power cord - so you have something to connect the unit to the wall outlet. right now i am using a brick surge power filter (under $300). i purchased it mainly for surge protection but it does provide some line conditioning as well. nothing significant but a blacker background and enhanced detail were noticeable when using it compared to a $50 belkin unit. i would love to try one of these more advanced models to see what further improvements are possible.

Sep 27, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #50 of 133
I think the question that some other posters were hinting at is... What might make this power conditioner function better or worse than others?

Is it the design, the quality of the parts, or something else? I don't know how these types of devices work, so hopefully someone with more electrical knowledge could chime in about what's going on in the Nordost Thor versus other conditioners and regenerators.

Sep 27, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #51 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the question that some other posters were hinting at is... What might make this power conditioner function better or worse than others?

Is it the design, the quality of the parts, or something else? I don't know how these types of devices work, so hopefully someone with more electrical knowledge could chime in about what's going on in the Nordost Thor versus other conditioners and regenerators.

I read some of Nordost's documentation and most of it went over my head. The main thing I got out of it was that they seem to think the important issue is transmission speed. Apparently they have been able to get their cables to transmit quite close to the speed of light, something like 80% or so of the way there.

How that actually effects the sound is beyond me, but I don't question it too much; I'm listening to the sound, not the specs
tongue.gif

Sep 27, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #52 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you think that for that price they would include a short (3-4 feet) vishnu or even a shiva - their most entry level power cord - so you have something to connect the unit to the wall outlet

This is becoming almost standard practice in the high end market. The ONLY piece of equipment I have now that came with a cord is my CD player. My new turntable will be here in a few days... I don't know if it comes with one or not.

My gut instinct is that they feel using a stock power cord on a $5,300 Ray Samuels B-52 amp is heresy. Frankly, I agree with them. From this point of view, it makes sense that they'd let you choose the one you want.

However, it might be nice for companies like Nordost to offer package deals with a discount.

On this subject, I took Nordost's advice and purchased a Shunyata Anaconda power cord to connect to the wall. I just tried it out for the first time last night, so it's not completely burned in, but I can notice a difference. It's not as profound as the change when I added the Thor, but it is substantial. I have to admit that I'm slowly going into that camp that says power is everything... it's really making as much or more of a difference than source/amp upgrading.

Sep 27, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #53 of 133
Quote:

Apparently they have been able to get their cables to transmit quite close to the speed of light, something like 80% or so of the way there.

That is very dependent on the load and draw and what they are saying is moving nearly the speed of light. Electric charges move very slowly yet energy can be transmitted through a charge very quickly. Small current means low-speed charge flow, large current means high speed charge flow. There for the current required and the "speed" transmitted is a result of what is plugged in.

For example if you have a very thin wire the energy will move very fast yet the current will be very low and vice versa. Also the type of metal used will effect the electric charges as some metals are more or less dense than others allowing this charge to move more or less freely.

Sep 27, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #55 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electron Tube /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Earwicker did you get the one with the noise blocking filling inside the cable?

Nope, you're only supposed to use that for digital sources.

Sep 27, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #56 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by didwlgh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm...I'm thinking about getting either the power plant premier or the thor.....any suggestions? do you think the power plant premier is a serious step up from the old P600 you had?

I haven't had a chance to hear the new PS Audio but my understanding is that the only thing that has changed is the effeciency... the old ones are notoriously ineffecient. I don't think anything else has changed as to what the output is.

If this is true, then the Thor wins hands down. This is especially true for headphone listeners. The fan on my P500 runs at least 50% of the time. It bleeds through open headphones.

Sep 27, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #57 of 133
Sep 27, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #60 of 133
Quote:

I haven't had a chance to hear the new PS Audio but my understanding is that the only thing that has changed is the effeciency... the old ones are notoriously ineffecient. I don't think anything else has changed as to what the output is.

If this is true, then the Thor wins hands down. This is especially true for headphone listeners. The fan on my P500 runs at least 50% of the time. It bleeds through open headphones.

The regenerator inside Premier is newer technology than the old Power Plants, it sounds detailed and fast instead of muddy and slow. At the back of Premier there is a Quintet with Nano Crystalline filters to isolate each component from each other. The difference was similar to adding a Noise Harvester between the components.

The fan inside Premier never came on unless I plugged my audio system, computer and projector to it.

I like Magix and ERS Paper more than Premier Power Plant because they gave bigger improvements in my system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back