NorCal/SF Bay Area Meet 8/8/2009
Jul 12, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #91 of 351
Boy, this is very tempting. I wish I could have made it to the big meet in May but that wasn't possible. I have a few things we're working on that folks might find interesting - a really simple and inexpensive battery powered tube preamp kit prototype that can also run low impedance cans; the current iteration of the big dual mono single gain stage tube headphone amp I showed at RMAF 2004; a S.E.X. amp or three (natch); some new Tape Project tapes and my Nagra T Audio which should have custom tube playback electronics completed by August. And maybe, just maybe, a new high res music server with tube output that I am co-designing with John Swenson and Paul Joppa. I might be able to come up with a pair of HD800s as well. Would you guys be interested in hearing any of this stuff? Maybe I could schedule a trip down.

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #92 of 351
Doc B, you are more than welcome to attend. After hearing your amps at Paul's studio in SF during the Waltz for Debby tape play and at VSAC I'd be psyched to hear what you have cooking.

The Tape Project tapes have called best in show source at every meet I have attended. I'd also love to hear any music servers you are working on as well, I hope to see you in August. IF you need any information please just PM me here or use the email function to contact me.

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #93 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pale Rider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A bargain. I may have a guest with me as well, and we'll both pitch in. Trying to decide what to bring, since this is my first. Are people interested in run-of-the-mill stuff, e.g., iMod & Mustang? Is it worth it to bring along my just received Promitheus DAC? If I did that, I would probably bring a full setup including the Apache. Suggestions?

Nice things about the meets is there are people there interested in all levels of gear.

Jul 13, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #94 of 351
Hey,.. I know that guy!

Hey Doc,

I think you'd be a very welcome addition to the vendors that are already signed up to attend. I also think that you'd enjoy one of our meets .

I've been think about how handy your new preamp could be. This might be a good place to throw out some ideas I had for it and see if there might be some other guys that might contribute some thoughts.

I have my headphone systems spread out on a desk. It's also where my computer lives. The problem I have is that I have multiple sources and 3 places I want to route these sources to (dynamic and electrostatic headphone amps and a pair of powered speakers). I find myself unplugging and re-routing way too much.
I think that there's probably lots of folks out there that are in similar situations. Having a clean sounding preamp with 3 inputs with a preamp out (to active speakers) and also one or two switchable tape loops out would solve this. It could act as a preamp plus a routing center. I'm not sure if these additional features would have to be part of the kit but maybe a mod that you could publish on the Bottlehead site.
Having something like that in something that was cheap, good sounding and easy to modify to the user's exact requirements would go hand and hand with desktop systems which I see becoming better and better and more and more common.
Just a thought.
Hope you make it.

Jul 13, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #95 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc B. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Boy, this is very tempting. I wish I could have made it to the big meet in May but that wasn't possible. I have a few things we're working on that folks might find interesting - a really simple and inexpensive battery powered tube preamp kit prototype that can also run low impedance cans; the current iteration of the big dual mono single gain stage tube headphone amp I showed at RMAF 2004; a S.E.X. amp or three (natch); some new Tape Project tapes and my Nagra T Audio which should have custom tube playback electronics completed by August. And maybe, just maybe, a new high res music server with tube output that I am co-designing with John Swenson and Paul Joppa. I might be able to come up with a pair of HD800s as well. Would you guys be interested in hearing any of this stuff? Maybe I could schedule a trip down.

That sounds sweet; sure hope you make it.

Jul 13, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #96 of 351
I'm trying to bring along 2 almost identical Buffalo32 DACs so I can run both the Beta22 and Dynamid, but I only have a single laptop with USB->S/PDIF converter. Does anybody want to set up another source (preferably laptop) with S/PDIF output (must be coax - BNC termination on cable) with my DAC and amp? Otherwise, I'll just bring 1 DAC and will swap cables between the 2 amps.

Also, if I'm lucky and get to some time to finish my latest portable build, somebody is going to leave the meet with a brand new PPAS portable amplifier - I'm thinking free raffle.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #97 of 351
I'll be bringing my Sonic Studio 302 (aka the Metric Halo UNL-2), I think you guys will be knocked out by the quality sound that comes out of this magic box. Oddly there will be three Metric Halo/Sonic Studio boxes at the meet for folks to check out.

Jul 13, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #98 of 351
Quote:

I'll be bringing my Sonic Studio 302 (aka the Metric Halo UNL-2), I think you guys will be knocked out by the quality sound that comes out of this magic box. Oddly there will be three Metric Halo/Sonic Studio boxes at the meet for folks to check out.

We have a prototype linear power supply that Jonathan Reichbach asked me to build for Sonic. It replaces the stock line lump switching supply. We found it makes a subtle improvement in cleaning up the top end that seems to allow a bit more midrange "magic" to come through. If I can make it to the meet I'll see if I can borrow it from the studio for the day.

Jul 13, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #99 of 351
It would be great to have the Famous Doc B in attendance! Jonathan has talked to me about the replacement PS, and given that we have invited him to attend maybe he can bring it himself! Hope you can make it.

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #100 of 351
Maybe need to start an Equipment list at some point... :)

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #101 of 351
Willing to bring any of the following:
1. RSA Apache Amp
2. HD800 [maybe balanced by then]
3. Darth Terminator v.4
4. Cullen Modded PS Audio DL-III DAC
5. Promitheus Balanced NOS DAC;
6. Front-end w/music on Apple TV.

I understand this is not the ultra high end that others might never run across, and am happy to bring only pieces parts if someone thinks it makes sense.

Jul 13, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #102 of 351
I'll be attending. Just bringing phones(K701) and some entertainment.

Jul 13, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #103 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm trying to bring along 2 almost identical Buffalo32 DACs so I can run both the Beta22 and Dynamid, but I only have a single laptop with USB->S/PDIF converter. Does anybody want to set up another source (preferably laptop) with S/PDIF output (must be coax - BNC termination on cable) with my DAC and amp? Otherwise, I'll just bring 1 DAC and will swap cables between the 2 amps.

Ooh, sounds like a use case for some synced players in a squeezebox network
smily_headphones1.gif

How would the same bits at the same time to both DACS appeal to you? (and everyone else)

Jul 13, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #104 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grahame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ooh, sounds like a use case for some synced players in a squeezebox network
smily_headphones1.gif

How would the same bits at the same time to both DACS appeal to you? (and everyone else)

That would be sweet!

Jul 14, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #105 of 351
Darnit. I'm flying in from vacation that day but have to book from SFO to pick up my kids in the Peninsula.

Would've loved to finally checkout some Bottleheads.

I would've been able to bring along my Little Dot I+, UHA3 and D10.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back