Norah killed em at the grammy's huh.
Feb 24, 2003 at 10:47 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Yet the standard for "real music" has slid down so low that the Avril's of the world can now claim with a straight face that she's the "real deal" because she doesn't show her freakin' belly-button.

ahh thank you!!!! im a teen and i hate to hear all this crap that's on pop radio... if only people knew how much great music is out there....

Feb 24, 2003 at 11:01 PM Post #18 of 30
If you can not write your own songs and you depend on other people to write the songs you perform you deserve nothing but disdain. How can you call your self an artist when you can't even write your own material?

Feb 24, 2003 at 11:24 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro
If you can not write your own songs and you depend on other people to write the songs you perform you deserve nothing but disdain. How can you call your self an artist when you can't even write your own material?

This is why I don't call these people artists, rather I call them performers. Avril, though, who doesn't even play guitar live like she claims she can (and her singing sucks from the live peformances I've seen)...

Your material doesn't reflect who you are and you can barely perform it? I mean isn't that like the bottom of the scale?

Feb 25, 2003 at 12:45 AM Post #20 of 30
Avril's performance was just horrible last nite at the grammy, especially after seeing how well Norah Jones performed. Norah Jones sounded almost like she did on her cd, that shows the little touch-ups required when producing her cd.

Overall I think the grammy was boring and I ended watching X-Men instead.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 25, 2003 at 3:49 AM Post #22 of 30
I really like Norah Jones' music. I believe her when she said last night that she was surprised her music would be considered "pop" (especially these days)... interesting what marketing/promoting can do. She was noticably nervous during her performance though ... I didn't mind it a bit ... maybe just shows how much of a fan I am of her. I just wish they would have played a bit of some of her other tracks while she was walking up and down for her other awards. Like the title song "Come Away With Me". That, I personally prefer to DKW.

Feb 25, 2003 at 8:14 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Well... there are plenty of jazz musicians who have tons of albums out there with a bunch of other people's songs. I don't think anything less of them though -- yet, probably a different case. Their [jazz musicians] art, much of the time, comes from the way they actually play the songs though. The improvisation, the style, whatever.

I like Norah Jones though... but I liked her before all the hype too... not that it really makes a difference.

Feb 25, 2003 at 10:33 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

I believe her when she said last night that she was surprised her music would be considered "pop"

Yeah, but I bet die-hard jazz-heads would say I can't believe she has the cajones to consider her music "jazz".
evil_smiley.gif

I'm not hard-core about jazz yet (but I am hard-core about all the other forms of music I love, so it won't be long), but even to my "jazz-beginner" ears, isn't she more in the category of the Kenny G's, the Harry Connick Jr.s of the world? Designed to appeal to mainstream tastes instead of satisfying the actual jazz listener? The same audience that might buy Rod Stewart's new album of "old standards" for example.

Mark

Feb 25, 2003 at 10:46 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
i think michelle branch is better looking. i think norah jones sucks. i think the "audiophile community" is all over this girl because she's young, decent looking, and the record company threw a ****load of money towards her album for great musicians and production (despite the fact that the album has distortions in the pressings). i've heard better from women in bars playing pianos and singing for 10% of what the door takes in at $5 a person. of course, they don't all have cds on blue note. :p

she's just another marketing stunt, but she has a jazzy connotation so it keeps the old people happy.

Yes, Blue Note -- the mainstream pop hitmaker factory, with artists like these making up their artist roster:[size=xx-small]
  1. Adams, Greg
    Adderley, Cannonball
    Alberstein, Chava
    Allison, Mose
    Almeida/Bud Shank, Laurindo
    Ammons/Meade Lux Lewis, Albert
    Armstrong & Duke Ellington, Louis
    Baker, Chet
    Barber, Patricia
    Basie, Count
    Bechet, Sidney
    Belden, Bob
    Blade, Brian
    Blakey, Art
    Blondy, Alpha
    Bottine, La, Souriante
    Braith, George
    Brooks, Tina
    Brown, Carlinhos
    Brown, Clifford
    Bruce, Lenny
    Bunnett, Jane
    Burrell, Kenny
    Byrd, Donald
    Byron, Don
    Calle 54
    Carmichael, Hoagy
    Carter, Betty
    Carter, Ron
    Chaloff, Serge
    Chambers, Paul
    Charlap Trio, Bill
    Cherry, Don
    Christy, June
    Clark, Sonny
    Clifford Jordan, John Gilmore
    Cole, Holly
    Cole, Nat King
    Coleman, Ornette
    Coltrane, John
    Corea, Chick
    Criss, Sonny
    Curtis, King
    Dalaras, George
    Davis, Miles
    Dearie, Blossom
    Denson, Karl
    Di Battista, Stefano
    Di Meola, Al
    DJ Smash
    Djavan
    Dolphy, Eric
    Donaldson, Lou
    Dorham, Kenny
    Dorough, Bob
    Dr. John
    Eckstine, Billy
    Elias, Eliane
    Elling, Kurt
    Ellington, Duke
    Elliot, Richard
    Ellis, Don
    Ervin, Booker
    Evans, Bill
    Evans/Jim Hall, Bill
    Fairuz
    Farmer, Art
    Fattburger
    Ferrell, Rachelle
    Fitzgerald, Ella
    Flanagan, Tommy
    Gardel, Carlos
    Getz, Stan
    Goodman, Benny
    Gordon, Dexter
    Green, Benny
    Green, Grant
    Griffin, Johnny
    Hamilton, Chico
    Hancock, Herbie
    Harp, Everette
    Harris, Stefon
    Harris & Jacky Terrasson, Stefon
    Hartman, Johnny
    Henderson, Eddie
    Henderson, Joe
    Hill, Andrew
    Holiday, Billie
    Holmes, Richard Groove
    Hubbard, Freddie
    Humphrey, Bobbi
    Hunter, Charlie
    Hutcherson, Bobby
    Irakere
    Jackson, Milt
    Jackson, Jr., Paul
    James, Harry
    Jazz Cusaders, The
    Jazz Mandolin Project
    Johnson, J.J.
    Jones, Norah
    Jones, Rodney
    Jones-Mel Lewis, Thad
    Jordan, Ronny
    Jordan, Sheila
    Jordan, Stanley
    Jordan, Clifford, Gilmore, John
    Keita, Salif
    Kenton, Stan
    Klugh, Earl
    Klugh & Bob James, Earl
    Konitz/Gerry Mulligan, Lee
    Konitz/Mehldau/Haden, Lee
    Kottke, Leo
    Laws, Ronnie
    Lee, Peggy
    Little, Booker
    London, Julie
    Los Van Van
    Lovano, Joe
    Lutcher, Nellie
    Machito
    Madredeus
    Maria, Tania
    Martino, Pat
    McDuff, Jack
    McFerrin, Bobby
    McGriff, Jimmy
    McLean, Jackie
    Medeski Martin & Wood
    Milanes, Pablo
    Mingus, Charles
    Mobley, Hank
    Monk, Thelonious
    Monte, Marisa
    Montgomery, Wes
    Montrose, Jack
    Moran, Jason
    Morgan, Lee
    Mulligan, Gerry
    Najee
    Nascimento, Milton
    Navarro/Tadd Dameron, Fats
    Nichols, Herbie
    Osby, Greg
    Parker, Charlie
    Parker/Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie
    Pass, Joe
    Patton, John
    Pepper, Art
    Perkins, Bill
    Petrucciani, Michel
    Pieces Of A Dream
    Plaxico, Lonnie
    Pleasure, King
    Pointer, Noel
    Ponty, Jean Luc
    Powell, Bud
    Prima, Louis
    Quebec, Ike
    Rawls, Lou
    Rawls/Les McCann, Lou
    Redd, Freddie
    Reece, Dizzy
    Reeves, Dianne
    Regina, Elis
    Reinhardt, Django
    Rich, Buddy
    Rodrigues, Amalia
    Rollins, Sonny
    Rosnes, Renee
    Rubalcaba, Gonzalo
    Sabu
    Salvador, Henri
    Scofield, John
    ScoLoHoFo
    Shank/Bill Perkins, Bud
    Shearing, George
    Sheldon, Jack
    Shorter, Wayne
    Silver, Horace
    Simone, Nina
    Sinatra/Red Norvo..., Frank
    Smith, Jimmy
    Smith, Johnny
    Smith, Lonnie
    Soulive
    St. Germain
    Tatum, Art
    Taylor, Cecil
    Terrasson, Jacky
    Terrasson, Jacky, Wilson, Cassandra
    Three Sounds, The
    Touff, Cy
    Tristano/Warne Marsh, Lennie
    Truffaz, Erik
    Turrentine, Stanley
    Tyner, McCoy
    Us3
    Valdes, Chucho
    Valdes Trio, Bebo
    Van Gelder, Rudy
    Vaughan, Sarah
    Vaughan/Lester Young, Sarah
    Warda
    Washington, Dinah
    Wild Magnolias, The
    Wilkerson, Don
    Williams, Joe
    Williams, Tony
    Williams, Joe, Edison "Sweets", Harry
    Wilson, Cassandra
    Wilson, Nancy
    Wilson & Cannonball Adderley, Nancy
    Wilson & George Shearing, Nancy
    Young, Larry
    Young, Lester
[/size]Damn sell-out label.
rolleyes.gif
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
....Designed to appeal to mainstream tastes instead of satisfying the actual jazz listener?....

I'm an actual jazz listener, and I dig her first album -- in my opinion, it was a strong debut, and I don't mean just in terms of sales. I think she'd be more accepted by some as a soft jazzy player/singer if she had remained a more obscure Blue Note artist, and hadn't just made every front page, cradling eight Grammy awards.

Heck, even if someone called her bluegrass or heavy metal, her music'd still sound the same to me -- I dig it, and wouldn't hesitate to buy her next album, even without a sample listen. If her next album is as good, or even better, I won't hold it against her if it also happens to sit at number one on every chart for a good long time and win her a dozen more Grammy trophies.

Feb 25, 2003 at 11:10 PM Post #26 of 30
Nora Jones is 'safe jazz'. Comfortable with a glass of wine at a dinner party, or upscale happy hour. Does not offend, nor challenge. Not a terrible thing. But although I am not a diehard jazz listener, it pains me just a bit when other deserving artists like the Diane Schurr's, or even Jane Monheit's of the jazz world will never get that kind of notoriety with the general public.

But I have discovered another use for Nora's music - chicks love it. Put on this CD, and you will get 'play' yourself. Trust me. My opinion of her music has gone up a few notches ever since
wink.gif

Feb 26, 2003 at 3:49 PM Post #27 of 30
Ricky Lee Jones (Currently residing in the "where is she now?" column), redux.

Feb 26, 2003 at 5:00 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by jude
Yes, Blue Note -- the mainstream pop hitmaker factory, with artists like these making up their artist roster:
blah blah blah
Damn sell-out label.
rolleyes.gif

aren't most of those artists dead?
rolleyes.gif

i would like to show that i will never make any judgements about an artist because of the record label he/she is/isn't with. although i like some labels better than others (some just have artists that i like more), i would never choose to like or hate an artist because they're on the "wrong label." i don't like norah jones because i can't get past the macy gray-ish sound in her voice. i've listened to the whole album, i just don't like it and because of all the acclaim she's gotten, i feel she's overrated. i like jpelg's description of her as "safe jazz;" it doesn't really amaze or astound the genre and is just mainstream enough to be overly popular.

i was simply stating my theory that the audiophile community (and the rest of the world later) fell in love with this album because of three main reasons:
  1. she's fairly attractive and young
  2. her album sounds good (despite the mastering errors that seem to be present)
  3. she's on an old-school jazz label with a huge name on it that the community has known and loved for a long time.[/list=1]
    enjoy it, but i've heard girls playing their hearts out in smokey bars and writing their own songs in their basements that sound better than her, and i'll continue listening to them instead.

Quote:

I'm an actual jazz listener, and I dig her first album -- in my opinion, it was a strong debut, and I don't mean just in terms of sales. I think she'd be more accepted by some as a soft jazzy player/singer if she had remained a more obscure Blue Note artist, and hadn't just made every front page, cradling eight Grammy awards.

okay, i admit it: i'm not an "actual jazz listener" because i don't like norah jones!
    rolleyes.gif

i think i'll go hang out on the local elementary school playgrounds and talk music with children, they seem to be more mature about it.

Feb 26, 2003 at 5:08 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

....okay, i admit it: i'm not an "actual jazz listener" because i don't like norah jones!
rolleyes.gif

That's not what I was saying at all, but it doesn't surprise me that you'd misinterpret anything. That comment was in response to the suggestion that jazz listeners don't enjoy Jones' music, and was simply saying that this jazz listener (and many others) enjoys her music. Other than for the sake of being ineffectively argumentative, I can't see how one would interpret the statement as suggesting all jazz fans must like her. Quote:

....i think i'll go hang out on the local elementary school playgrounds and talk music with children, they seem to be more mature about it.

There'll definitely be more common ground for you there -- I'll give you that. Dress warm.

Feb 26, 2003 at 7:33 PM Post #30 of 30
Just letting tha peeps know, there's a Norah Jones DVD out, i picked it up at jandr yesterday for $10...haven't watched it yet though. It's a concert from last Summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back