NORAH JONES
Jan 4, 2003 at 8:00 PM Post #16 of 38
Don't want to divert the thread, but: after reading this I amnow interested in getting one of her albums. Anyone reco a really good one to start with??

Jan 4, 2003 at 8:06 PM Post #17 of 38
"Come Away With Me". I like it. I believe it is her latest. Sounds great on headphones and is well recorded.
cool.gif

Jan 4, 2003 at 9:59 PM Post #19 of 38
I personally find ''Come Away with Me" to be a terrific album. I cannot say that her voice is the greatest of all time, but it is definitly very sweet. I have not heard Diana Krall before though, but she seems to be pretty standard with everybody here. Any recommendations for her works (as I completely divert the thread topic)?

Jan 4, 2003 at 10:25 PM Post #20 of 38
On this particular question, I vote "ICE" for 'slightly overrated'.

When I first heard her sing "Don’t Know Why" last spring/summer on my fav jazz stations, I thought she was much older, as that song shows a bit of maturity, I think. After getting the CD, I found that much of the rest of the CD is very similiar in style which, while 'nice', is not that mature really, and definitely not captivating. She is a young honey though, and that, I'm sure, is a big reason for all the furvor over her lately.

When I want to be captivated by a voice, I listen to k.d. Lang, who can sing me a sultry song anytime she wants, thank you (regardless of her personal preferences). She gets my top vote. Other current (meaning alive) female vocalists I like include Dianne Schurr, and Shelby Lynne. Maybe others I can't think of right now...

where's my ginko...

Jan 4, 2003 at 10:29 PM Post #21 of 38
Hey thanks for reminding me about K.D. Lang. I have the Duets with Tony Bennett haven't even listened to. Christmas gift.

Jan 4, 2003 at 11:50 PM Post #22 of 38
I'd rather vote for lukewarm, since I'm not always in the mood for Norah's music, but since that isn't an option, I'll vote hot. I'd much rather listen to her than Diana Krall, that's for sure.

Jan 5, 2003 at 2:33 AM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
I'd much rather listen to her than Diana Krall, that's for sure.

That just goes to show you how subjective something like music is. I like Norah Jones - even bought her cd for the wife for Christmas. But I don't think she holds a candle to Diana Krall.

Different strokes for different folks, as they say.

Jan 6, 2003 at 10:23 PM Post #25 of 38
I have extremely mixed feelings about the album. As Eagle_Driver pointed out in response to my orginal post, her limited-range, smoky voice works wonders with the MDR-V700DJ. If you like Norah Jones it's almost worth buying one (maybe not quite worth stratching to the MDR-7509
biggrin.gif
) to listen. In contrast, it sounds somewhat less 'ahh' from the ATH-A900 (which Duncan said was the definitive Norah Jones Phone) and out of the HD600, it sounded almost boring!

Jan 7, 2003 at 4:53 AM Post #27 of 38
ice ice baby. i listened to her at my friends house. i was indifferent to it. it didn't make me fall asleep or groove.

Jan 7, 2003 at 6:06 AM Post #28 of 38
Bah. Fire, of course. And however said she sounds like Macy Gray, holy crap, clean your ears or change the batteries in your rig. Feeling -- she sings with feeling. When she sings, she begins and ends her phrases like she's actually telling you what the words mean, not just reciting them off the page.

Jan 7, 2003 at 6:31 AM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by neil
Bah. Fire, of course. And however said she sounds like Macy Gray, holy crap, clean your ears or change the batteries in your rig. Feeling -- she sings with feeling. When she sings, she begins and ends her phrases like she's actually telling you what the words mean, not just reciting them off the page.

i listened to her with hp-1's.. hd600's are a foggy day in comparison detail-wise. i just think she's a bit overrated, with very good production. i can list at least a dozen female artists that i enjoy more if you'd like, and i just don't like spending time with music that's so-so when i know i already own better stuff.

but hey, don't let that stop you from enjoying it.

Jan 7, 2003 at 7:13 PM Post #30 of 38
At the risk of sounding trite...

I am going to say that the radio play that Norah has had has only strengthened my liking the album. This is in part due to the assosciations I've had while listening to the radio in my car with my girlfriend in the passenger seat, and some of the nice sunset drives we have had while ms. jones comes on the radio and lends her vocals to the moment. The incessant battering over my head of radio play has actually done the opposite of what happens to most overplayed songs/artists on the radio for me; and actually were it not for the incessant radio play, I would probably actually have liked norah jones less.

The familiarity of the songs puts her in a different category for me. The production value of the CD (which, to my ears, sounds pretty good), her expressiveness and soothing vocals at such a young age, and an intangible "liking" factor continue to have me stand by my "fire" rating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back