Nor-Cal Feb 11/2012 Impressions Thread
Feb 13, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #92 of 345

Quote:
...I forgot to mention that I did have a nice chat with Jude. After seeing how he winced at my mention of his appearance on Tekzilla (with Patrick Norton) I thought it was my duty to be sure that everyone has had a chance to see his CES 2012 headphone report themselves.

http://revision3.com/search/search?q=headfi

Because we did the interview via Skype, the video feed has a sort of exiled-war-criminal-broadcasting-from-underground-bunker-from-parts-unknown quality to it. Thankfully, the audio came out okay. To be clear, I had a great time being on Tekzilla, but I still get nervous doing videos (and even more nervous watching any I'm on).

Thanks for the link to it, Steve. It was fun chatting with you, too, man.

I'll post more about the meet shortly, but not very much in the way of impressions, as I only heard a few rigs--I was hanging out talking with other community members the whole time! CEE TEE organized a doozy--easily one of the best Head-Fi Meets I've ever been to. I'll post more later (with a few photos).

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #95 of 345

Quote:
I apologize to member calaf for conveying the impression that I have four Manley 300b preamps, I have only one, which I use as a preamp, stax amp and dynamic headspeaker amp, but I do have a variety of other tube preamps that I use in various ways in my complex home audio system.

and I apologize to you for messing up with the description of your system. You had me so awed that I could not keep my story straight
redface.gif

Reading through the thread, I am glad Hifiman Orthos are receiving the good press they deserve. OTH I am surprised by the lukewarm reception reserved to the LCD3. The pair I heard in Frank Cooter and ironbut systems was simply awesome, a couple of notches above the LCD2, and HE500 I was comparing them with. And this was at 8.30AM in the still relatively quiet Quiet Room, before we all shifted to "chat mode". I guess this is the great thing about big meets: 100+ people get to hear fantastic gear and to formulate 100+ personal opinions about it...

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #97 of 345

Quote:
and I apologize to you for messing up with the description of your system. You had me so awed that I could not keep my story straight
redface.gif

Reading through the thread, I am glad Hifiman Orthos are receiving the good press they deserve. OTH I am surprised by the lukewarm reception reserved to the LCD3. The pair I heard in Frank Cooter and ironbut systems was simply awesome, a couple of notches above the LCD2, and HE500 I was comparing them with. And this was at 8.30AM in the still relatively quiet Quiet Room, before we all shifted to "chat mode". I guess this is the great thing about big meets: 100+ people get to hear fantastic gear and to formulate 100+ personal opinions about it...

Those LCD3s you heard were my TP modded pair. 
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #99 of 345

Quote:
Those LCD3s you heard were my TP modded pair. 
evil_smiley.gif

ah! Is this "TP mod" similar to the one you showed me on the HD800?

Feb 13, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #101 of 345

Quote:
ah! Is this "TP mod" similar to the one you showed me on the HD800?

Not quite.  The HD800 is a foam mod inside the cup to kill resonances/reflections and control that 6khz peak.  The TP mod is using paper, such as might be found in the bathroom, behind the LCD3 driver to improve driver damping.

Feb 13, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #102 of 345

Quote:
Not quite.  The HD800 is a foam mod inside the cup to kill resonances/reflections and control that 6khz peak.  The TP mod is using paper, such as might be found in the bathroom, behind the LCD3 driver to improve driver damping.

LOL, I wonder what Audeze engineers think about using TP to improve the sound of  their $2K flagship...

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #103 of 345
Last meet (also by CT) was awesome!!  I'm so sad I missed this one. :frowning2:

I'll try to pay better attention next time.  

But I wonder if head-fi supports a notification service, that I could subscribe to 'bay area meet' and get an email on the next one.

[]s
Walfredo

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #104 of 345
This was the first meet I attended, and simply put, I had a great time. Everything turned out about ten times better than I expected.

As far as gear goes, I don't really know where begin. I definitely came away with better impressions of what my tastes are. I would be content with sitting down all day, simply listening to Ironbut's reel to reel tape rig. UE's IERM blew me away; I hope I'm as impressed with my JH-13s when they arrive.

I would like to thank Christian for inviting me to dinner, and thank you, Jude, for dinner. It was also quite a pleasure to meet Val; I'm listening to my new M-80 as I write this.
Finally, thanks to everyone for being so pleasant and friendly.

I'm definitely going to make it a point to show up again sometime.

Feb 14, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #105 of 345
Who brought the original vintage Fostex T50?  Was it modified? 

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun, wish I could have come!
I thought you'd be there, but then I read something about you sending a bunch of stuff to Wualta and figured we wouldn't see you or your open-backed DIY. Next time.

The vintage T50 was brought by a guy who introduced himself by his username, which I have now forgotten because I hadn't heard of him. I do think he said he bought the T50 from dBel, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back