Noob Trying To Decide On Sub $200 Headphones
Feb 14, 2011 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

LearnedHand

New Head-Fier
Hey All,

I have been reading through old posts here for a few days now and just had a few questions.  Seems that whenever I am making a decision and using boards with advice from those more knowledgeable than me the decision actually gets more difficult to make.  I feel like a monkey trapped in a room with nothing bust fast moving shiny objects.  

I am looking for a pair of $200 or so hp's that will be plugged into a LittleDot+1 amp and my Rega Brio amp.  I will mostly use them to listen to my growing vinyl collection.  Mostly rock, Rolling Stones, Black Keys, Radiohead etc as well as some soul and jazz.  I usually have the guitar and voice front and center in my EQ through iTunes.  Bass is great but I do not like when it drowns out the guitar work or singing.  I'd also use them to plug into my guitar amp and some movie watching but I don't really care how they perform in those respects.  And maybe some night time listening to the iPod before sleep.

So I have been researching the ATH-M50's but am a bit worried by what people are saying about the bass.  Even after this supposed break in time.  Would an amp improve this?  Is this really an issue that should prevent me from going this direction.

I have also looked at Shure SRH840 but heard they were uncomfortable.  I'd be willing to save a bit more and go for a beyerdynamic pair if it is a drastic improvement.  I have also heard that the ATH-AD900 are good all around.  

Either way, in my time looking I've just gotten more trigger shy and haven't really found an old post close in circumstances to mine.  So any advice, recommendations etc would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your time.

Feb 14, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #3 of 9
+1 for the 225i, they do rock amazingly. They also have the potential to give joy longer than other headphones as they are extremely moddable. 

also +1 for ssavage's opinion on the kobe/lebron debate.
wink_face.gif

Feb 14, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the responses.  In my nascent research I've heard that the Grado's are a bit uncomfortable.  Is that true?  If so does it outweigh the benefits?  And what are these mods you speak of?

Feb 14, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 9
The grados are very good and should pair with the warm tube amp nicely. They arent without drawbacks, such as the average bass, slightly bright highs (again the tubes should help nullify the highs).  It gets the job done though! If you love Mids, however, the grados shine in that area. I love picking out little details that normally I would never hear with my AD700s.

edit: I find grados perfectly comfortable. A quick wash of the bowls and an adjustment of the headband is all thats needed.

Feb 14, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 9
Yeah I personally dont have grados but I hear if you wash them shampoo/rinse a couple times then they become much more tolerable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back