noob looking for new headphones
May 20, 2012 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ryanr08

New Head-Fier
I just joined this site and im looking to buy a new pair of headphones. I've mostly listened to ibuds and beats. I listen to rock and dubstep on my iphone 3gs at the standard itunes file format. My budget is 250 or less. I want these for mostly portable use, and will get an amp if needed, but i dont want to get an amp. Im currently looking at the ath m50s and maybe the fiio e11.

May 20, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #3 of 9
http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op

May 20, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #4 of 9
dt770 pro (80 ohms) would also be a contender I believe... Fairly easy to drive, particularly with some amp, even a basic one, behind it.  Bass extends fairly deep, though might want to opt for leather ear pads for better impact.  They're also very decent for rock, portable, and durable (Made in Deutschland).

May 20, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
dt770 pro (80 ohms) would also be a contender I believe... Fairly easy to drive, particularly with some amp, even a basic one, behind it.  Bass extends fairly deep, though might want to opt for leather ear pads for better impact.  They're also very decent for rock, portable, and durable (Made in Deutschland).

i dont have problem with a dt990 with velvour pad... and dt770 is not made in germany?

May 28, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #6 of 9
All of Beyer's main line is made in Germany, one reason I have a lot of respect for them.  Deutschland = Germany in German... I was just going for authenticity lol

edit: I love the velour pads also, the best velours I've ever put on my head imo.  Just that the leather can add more bass according to some, although it can have some downturns for other frequencies apparently.  I haven't tried leather on mine so can't comment for sure.

May 28, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #7 of 9
Regarding the DT770, I don't care for the sound signature. I believe the Shure SRH840 would be a better alternative. I can recommend the Fiio E11. It's a great amp for the money. But it does hiss a little. You only notice it when there are quiet passages in the music. Otherwise you don't notice it.

May 28, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
Regarding the DT770, I don't care for the sound signature. I believe the Shure SRH840 would be a better alternative. I can recommend the Fiio E11. It's a great amp for the money. But it does hiss a little. You only notice it when there are quiet passages in the music. Otherwise you don't notice it.

if thats the case, then i guess he should go for the e17, i have it and i never once notice hiss

May 28, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #9 of 9
Ultrasone HFI-580, definitely. It beats the DT770 and M50 in sound quality (in my opinion) and you can easily power it with your iPhone, without an amp. The other two aren't BAD choices, and I'd try them out if you can, but I think the Ultrasones are a better choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back