[NOOB] JVC HA-RX900 Questions
May 7, 2013 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

lacedcurtains

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-fi,
I am quite new to using headphones and I haven't explored the world of audio that much, so excuse my dumb-ness.

I am going to build a new computer soon for mostly gaming (music when I'm doing homework, youtube, occasional movies), and I decided to pick out a pair of headphones.

The JVC HA-RX900. I was wondering, would I need a sound card or a headphone amplifier to use these headphones to their full potential. Meaning, if I didn't have a sound card/amp, would I still be able to hear people's footsteps and where they are coming from in Counter Strike? Or are these headphones completely useless for gaming. One last thing, if I used the Asus Xonar DG ($30) sound card, would I benefit from them, as I hear they have an included amp in the card.  Any feedback is welcome. Thank you in advance. 

May 8, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 9
My friend got the rx700s and that sound card... We installed the unified xonar drivers, and he LOVES it! :D the nice thing about a sound card is that it is a dac/amp together, as a nice budget amp/DAC is $90. Though the external one is a little better sounding, the DG is fine. :wink:

May 8, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 9
The Asus DG will do just fine powering them.  The sound card would give you virtual surround sound which may help you in gaming.  I wasn't a huge fan of the RX-700/900 but they were decent phones in their price range.  I'd also suggest looking at the Samson SR-850 or the Creative Aurvana Live! as good alternatives.

May 8, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
The Asus DG will do just fine powering them.  The sound card would give you virtual surround sound which may help you in gaming.  I wasn't a huge fan of the RX-700/900 but they were decent phones in their price range.  I'd also suggest looking at the Samson SR-850 or the Creative Aurvana Live! as good alternatives.

I read somewhere that the SR 850 weren't as good as the RX900's for gaming. Also, the CAL seem like their build quality is not on par with RX900. There's so many choices. ): Thanks for the replies, guys. So, I think I'll get the Xonar DG, I mean, it's only 30 bucks, I can't go wrong. 

May 8, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 9
I read somewhere that the SR 850 weren't as good as the RX900's for gaming. Also, the CAL seem like their build quality is not on par with RX900. There's so many choices. ): Thanks for the replies, guys. So, I think I'll get the Xonar DG, I mean, it's only 30 bucks, I can't go wrong. 
Sounds like a plan! :)

May 8, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #6 of 9
I got another question gu[size=small]ys. I need a mic to go with m[/size][size=small]y headphones, and I'm not sure what to pick. I heard the Zalman ZM-Mic1 is a flims[/size][size=small]y mic because it hangs from the cord and not in front of [/size][size=small]your mic. Can an[/size][size=small]yone tell me how well this Mic actuall[/size][size=small]y works? The other mic I looked at was a desktop mic. The Logitech Labtec 600 Mic. [/size]http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Labtec-Desktop-Microphone-600/dp/B000O7K4LO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368071335&sr=8-1&keywords=labtec+600 I don't see man[size=small]y Head-fi'ers using this mic, but I'm just curious. If [/size][size=small]you gu[/size][size=small]ys have an[/size][size=small]y insight, it would be greatl[/size][size=small]y appreciated. [/size]

May 9, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #7 of 9
My friend loves the Zalman with his RX900s,got it and some other stuff for his cake day... Not flimsy. :wink: it clips on the the cable, and the RX900 should be the same cable as the RX700, if so, it's a perfect fit. :wink: also, make sure you mod the RX900 to get the best sound from it. :wink:

May 9, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
My friend loves the Zalman with his RX900s,got it and some other stuff for his cake day... Not flimsy.
wink.gif
it clips on the the cable, and the RX900 should be the same cable as the RX700, if so, it's a perfect fit.
wink.gif
also, make sure you mod the RX900 to get the best sound from it.
wink.gif

[size=small] So Zalman, RX900, and Xonar DG it is! Thanks for [/size][size=small]your help, it is much appreciated. Have a nice da[/size][size=small]y![/size]

May 9, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #9 of 9
Hope you love it! :beerchug: also get this and RUN and never come back! It will cost too much if you do! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back