Noob Help: Senn HD650 vs. AKG 701
Oct 24, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #31 of 49
Why do people persist in saying the "701s need a tube amp"? I just don't get it. Its a low impedance headphone and its very inefficient, Tube amps (for the most part) are better able to drive a high impedance headphone. Do people say that constantly because the 701s are too bright and they think tubes will tame the harsh highs they produce? That just means you have the wrong headphones or the wrong amp. I have a news flash for all those people, you want a solid state amp with enough balls to drive that 701 headphone properly so you are hearing bright detailed highs instead of rolled off distorted highs because the amp cant drive the headphone properly. I realize there are exceptions and most of them are very expensive or involve some sort of hybrid technology. If you feel like you need to "Tame The Highs" then look at your source and cables. I suggest people who say "get a tube amp for the 701s go and look at the power ratings for the Little-Dot line of headphone amps and see what drives a low impedance headphone best. The 701 needs a lot of power to sound nice as compared to most other headphones, choose your amp accordingly.

rolleyes.gif

Little-Tube

Oct 25, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #32 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodenPeter View Post

I bought the HD650s a few month ago.

I DO NOT recommend them.

I found them horribly muted in the mids.
Completely ruins vocals and guitar for me...
I dont how know ppl can live with that.

Ultimately Im going to get RS1's.
But for now im looking at AKG

Gl

To answer the many questions about my other gear:

Amp - WooAudio6 (dual power supply)
Source - a mediocre JVC CD player i bought about 5 years ago (was $400 ish at the time) - am using it as a transport
D/A - using the D/A converter in my B/K Reference 30 pre/pro (from the room system i used to have)
Cans - HD650
Interconnects - from my old home audio system as well - can't recall the make but they ran me about $150 ish 10 + years ago

I think we can argue forever here - im sure some prefer the sound signature of the HD650s - The mids do sound muted in comparison to the 701s - that at least we should be able to agree on. Maybe a tube amp + the HD650s ='s a sweet sound for some, but it was a bad choice for me. (I love the amp though!)

I hope that helps the originater of this thread.

Oct 25, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #33 of 49
Quote:

Why do people persist in saying the "701s need a tube amp"? I just don't get it.

Me neither. A classic tube amp is a bad choice. A hybrid tube amp on the other hand is fine, if you prefer the tube sound.
So far I prefer the 701s from a high end SS amp.

Oct 25, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #34 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by colegibson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm fairly new to the audiophile scene, but I listen to a lot of music and I'm at the point where I have enough of a basic understanding of the technology to realize I need a much better setup than what I currently have.

I've been running a pair of Sony MDR-V700DJ straight through my computer for years. I'm working on the whole setup, but new headphones are my top priority (being cheaper than an amp). I've done a lot of research online and I've narrowed it down to either the 701s or the 650s. Money is not a concern.

I listen to a broad range of music genres, notably rock, funk, jazz, and various orchestra soundtracks. The rock is more popular, though, especially Phish, Springsteen, and U2. I want some cans that are going to give me clarity between the instruments but also excite me and draw me into the music. I don't want to sacrifice bass, either. I listen to a lot more live music than studio albums as well, so I want something that can give me the emotion of the live show without muddling everything together.

Based on this info, which pair would you all suggest? Please only reply if you've had experience with both sets. I'm pretty set between the two, so please only offer other suggestions if you absolutely think it's a better option. Also, feel free to ask me any questions that would better help you assist me. I'm still a bit new to the high-end headphone scene, so I'd love for this to be a learning experience for me.

Thanks in advance!

normal_smile .gif

It comes down to neutrality (AKG K701) versus tailored sound (Sennheiser HD650). As has been pointed out, both need a good amp to make them sing. If you haven't guessed by now, my preference is the AKGs. I want to hear what the disc I'm listening to sounds like, not someone elses version of how it should sound. The K701s are the most neutral, even handed headphones I've ever hear. I listen to musical genres all over the map, from jazz to rock to classical and the K701s never disappoint. Some here have said that the bass on the K701s is weak. NOT TRUE!!! What it isn't is overblown (hello Sennheiser). When there is bass, you'll hear it, cleanly and deeply. When it's not there, the lower frequencies don't muddy up the sound. Space is another of the AKGs strong points. I can listen via the AKGs far, far longer than I ever could any Sennheisers (or any other brand) I've heard. Comfortable too.

Oct 25, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #35 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do people persist in saying the "701s need a tube amp"? I just don't get it. Its a low impedance headphone and its very inefficient, Tube amps (for the most part) are better able to drive a high impedance headphone. Do people say that constantly because the 701s are too bright and they think tubes will tame the harsh highs they produce? That just means you have the wrong headphones or the wrong amp. I have a news flash for all those people, you want a solid state amp with enough balls to drive that 701 headphone properly so you are hearing bright detailed highs instead of rolled off distorted highs because the amp cant drive the headphone properly. I realize there are exceptions and most of them are very expensive or involve some sort of hybrid technology. If you feel like you need to "Tame The Highs" then look at your source and cables. I suggest people who say "get a tube amp for the 701s go and look at the power ratings for the Little-Dot line of headphone amps and see what drives a low impedance headphone best. The 701 needs a lot of power to sound nice as compared to most other headphones, choose your amp accordingly.

rolleyes.gif

Little-Tube

Because some folks confuse warmed up sound to accuracy. A good amp, be it tubed or solidstate is going to offer you a more exact look (listen?) to your source.

Oct 25, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #36 of 49
Quote:

Why do people persist in saying the "701s need a tube amp"? I just don't get it.

In my case because my sources were poor and not musical. K701s are a 68 Ohm headphone from memory so from what others have described regarding electronic ideals, it looks like solid state would the best choice for them.

Oct 25, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #37 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do people persist in saying the "701s need a tube amp"? I just don't get it. .
Little-Tube

The 701/702, do not need an tube amp!
It's a studio monitor headphones... Flat from the sound card or the mixer.
If you insist, on amp in the studio. Try the SPL Phonitor.
Maybe some people have fun colored the 701 with tube amp.

beerchug.gif

Oct 25, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #38 of 49
...soon...

Oct 25, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #39 of 49
No, I meant that if you kept it up (on your thread that disappeared) you would be...

Oct 25, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #40 of 49
Yeah, have fun with that.

Oct 25, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #42 of 49
ok. sounds good. whatever.

Oct 25, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #43 of 49
If anyone sees him rejoin under another username, please report the posts.

Oct 25, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #44 of 49
My intention was not to get you banned, but to have a moderator check it out and pursue action if necessary. I didn't appreciate being personally attacked for defending my views. I gave you a well reasoned and polite response even still. As you say 'just be nice'; this is exactly what I did. I even defended you earlier in that thread giving you the benefit of the doubt.

If you have something of value to offer this community it could be appreciated, but personal insults and trying to blatantly overcome safeguards (that you triggered) will end the same way every time. If you feel you will repeat this, please leave us in peace, otherwise if you rejoin yet again please become a beneficial member and earn the respect you may deserve.

Chris

Oct 25, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #45 of 49
God, I could earn a PhD in clinical psych by using him as a case study.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back