Noob Help: Senn HD650 vs. AKG 701
Oct 24, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #18 of 49
Sorry to mooch off this thread but I'm in the same situation as colegibson and have decided to make my decision based on what amplification I would need.
I'm thinking little Dot Mk*
?
Thanks!

Oct 24, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #19 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For what it's worth, the k701s represent those first few center rows in a large auditorium, and the 650s are somewhere closer to the back.

This is exactly how I would describe it!
Sitting in the rear the bass resonates off the back wall of the auditorium, giving a "Sennheiser sound" compared to the front of the auditorium where the AKG sound lives.
I always opt for the close seats, and thus prefer the AKG's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The clamping on the K701 can be fixed with a couple of minutes of firm finger pressure on and around the headband.

Yes you "massage" the metal rails to relax the tension, and the headband softens with use or can be 'helped along' by manually flexing it.

Oct 24, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #20 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodenPeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought the HD650s a few month ago.

I DO NOT recommend them.

I found them horribly muted in the mids.
Completely ruins vocals and guitar for me...
I dont how know ppl can live with that.

Ultimately Im going to get RS1's.
But for now im looking at AKG

Gl

What amp are you using? If its a decent amp for the 650, try silver interconnects.

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #21 of 49
HD650s are AMAZING with great source and amps - they really do deserve those - I would say even more than K701s.

The only time I was amazed with them was when I tried them with balanced b22 and DAC1. zero faults to be found at that stage, I thought
wink.gif

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #22 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What amp are you using? If its a decent amp for the 650, try silver interconnects.

My question exactly...because that's pretty much how a 650 will sound if unamped, or one not up to the task.

A lot of people dive in with both feet in this hobby, and start with the headphones, not realizing that there are other things in the chain that need to be addressed as well, and that different phones have different requirements. If you go for HD650's based on reviews of them being "best in class", or whatever, and start there, running them out of iPod headphone jacks or A/V recievers, you're going to be sorely disappointed...

As far as 701's vs. HD650's go, they are similar in some ways, but radically different in others, and it comes down to preference. I'm not a fan of the 701 but can appreciate what it does do well. That said, I've not come across an amp yet that is perfect for both, so I'm not suprised that someone would favor one over the other if the system they tried them on was not built for that specific phone...

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #23 of 49
If you are looking for a can without amplification and a good upgrade from the Sonys you should look at the Audio Technicas and the Grados/Alessandros instead. The ATH-A900 or SR-225 should be suitable for you.

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #24 of 49
I have Senn HD580 and just got 701 a month ago. They definitely sound different . . . so depends on my mood . . . both of them are very engaging. I do love warmth and bass but I also like clean clear crystal sound. I have Rotel 991 (a beginner audiophile CD player) and computer (iTunes) as my sources. For amplification I use NAD or SLI80 . . . and again depending on my mood I will try different configuration to get what I am looking for. When I want to be entertain in the soundstage with a lot of detail I will use my 701 but many times I just want to enjoy music then I use 580. I do recommend amplification for both. And I do agree with other member . . . 701 is more finicky in amplification so I use tube amp almost exclusively for it. The 580 are pretty much good with any amp and source I have and it all sound good and non fatigue.

After much listening with both with different configuration . . . I realize there is NO headphone that is good for everything. All has its own weakness and strength.

If I have to choose between Senn and AKG . . . well I have both.

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #25 of 49
Well, regardlessly, the HD650 is pretty polarizing as it seems to be designed to place you a little farther back from the music than some people prefer and has a warm sound signature to it that makes it IMO really non-fatiguing. (By that I mean I can listen to it all day long and be fine...something I can't do with the denons nor the AKG)

Of course, many people want the music in your face and want a powerful punch to go with it. That's not to say the HD650 can't hang with a good beat, but there's better headphones for that.

Overall, I'm a classical listener and I prefer my music to have a "concert hall" setting than a rock band one, and a smooth sound rather than a slap.....to each their own.

Oct 24, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by nnotis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheisers are not capable of that.

That's...SO not true...

EDIT: I see you're coming from a K1000 & SA5000 frame of reference...that could play a factor in how you view the HD650, for sure. I STILL think they are fantastic at revealing nuance and microdetails though...

Oct 24, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #29 of 49
I totally disagree with the idea that someone shouldn't get high end headphones as the first step to building up their system. If someone has been listening to crappy headphones out of their computer headphone jack, then HD650s will sound amazing plugged into that same jack. Of course they won't sound as good as they're capable. But that's what part by part upgrading is for.

In my experience, great headphones plugged into a crappy signal still sound better than mediocre headphones pugged into the same signal.

Oct 24, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #30 of 49
No, the point wasn't that the phones are the wrong starting point (they are, IMO as well). The point is that a lot of folks think that is all they need to have great sound...there's way more in the equation than just the headphones, and many people don't consider amps, DACs, sources, etc all need to be figured in... It's like thinking that if you buy a Ferrari with a Volkswagen engine, you're driving a Ferrari...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back