Non-sibilant headphones with sub bass, big soundstage and good mids!
Dec 5, 2011 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Insider

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I'm a long time lurker and finally decided to ask you guys for advice. I'm looking for recommendations on a pair of new headphones that would match my preferences:

1. Good mids, I love vocals
  2. Big soundstage
  3. A well presented bass. I would also like them to have a real deep sub-bass.
  1. No painful sibilance: I listen to some recordings that would be impossible to listen to if the treble was too harsh.
  2. Quite all-around
  3. Stationary, I have IEM's for portable use.
  4. Isolation is no issue, they can leak all they want.
  5. Circumaural

The source is my computer and I own an Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard for the moment but I'm willing to get a better amplifier if needed.

My budget is probably in mid-fi to a maximum of borderline high-fi. The cheaper the better just as long as it fulfills my needs!

If I understood it right a pair of Denon AH-D2000/5000/7000 is quite close, but I recently read that they've got some sibilance issues..?

Thanks in advance!

Dec 5, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #2 of 33
I think that the Sennheiser HD650 sounds like the perfect match for you. Very 3D soundstage, deep and impactful bass, a complete lack of sibilance. They also have the most beautiful and involving mids that you can find anywhere near their price range. Vocals are a special experience with these phones. I would also look at the HD600 if you want a similar sound that is more neutral, has less bass, and has a more prominent treble. They both handle sibilance well, although the HD650 takes the cake for less sibilance (less treble) and more refined mids. I find both to be very good all-rounders.

I think that your sound card can drive both acceptably, but there will be a very considerable and noticeable improvement if you upgrade to a more powerful dedicated headphone amp. 

Dec 5, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #3 of 33
Senn HD650 is pretty much what you described except for subjective ideas of sound stage. I find that they have a decently big sound stage but not as good compared some other headphones in their price range.

Dec 5, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #4 of 33
I'd recommend their little brother, the HD 598s.  Great soundstage, great mids, and great bass.  Not skull-shaking, but very well presented.  And no sibilance or harshness, either.  Very pleasant to listen to.

Dec 5, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #6 of 33

Quote:
Senn HD650 is pretty much what you described except for subjective ideas of sound stage. I find that they have a decently big sound stage but not as good compared some other headphones in their price range.

I would agree with you on the issue of sound stage. I think the HD650 has a very good sound stage, but not the best in its class. So much is subjective. I find that the DT880s actually have a slightly nicer sound stage, but I find them less enjoyable and a tad too sibilant. Someone else might think differently. OTOH, the widely praised K70x sound stage sounds unnatural to me and detached from the listener. You have to weigh the good with the bad while accounting for personal preference. I personally would not let sound stage be a primary concern unless I was looking to buy competitive gaming headphones. The AD700 is the go-to guy for this.

Dec 5, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 33
I agree in what the hd650 does for vocals but looking at your demand for really dominant sub bass I can't help but recommend the d2000/d5000 over them. Sibilance is not an issue in my experience.

Dec 5, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #8 of 33
Hmm, okey...

How much did you guys get your HD650s for? The cheapest I could find them for is around 290GBP without having them shipped from USA(I live in Europe).

Dec 5, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #9 of 33
I was lucky to get a deal on them for $329 new in the States from razordogdeals. However, the price ramp up in Europe seems to be pretty severe to the point that I might recommend buying used. The FS forums on this site can allow you to score some terrific deals if you are willing to buy used and invest a little time and effort.

Edit: Does anyone know why German headphones are so much cheaper in the States than in their native Germany? Never really made any sense to me.

Dec 5, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #12 of 33

Quote:
How much better do you guys whom have experience with both, consider the soundstage to be on the HD650 vs the Denon AH-D5000?

I would say that the denons sound very distant compared to the hd650. What you have to understand is how much the midrange is expressed in the hd650, which can make music sound very close and involving. So it's less of a question of which has a better soundstage and more of which type of soundstage do you prefer.

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #13 of 33
The Ultrasone HFI2400, Pro2900 offers wide surround soundstage, great midrange details, good highs and deep tight punchy bass. The LCD2 has really wide open soundstage, fullbodied deep rich bass with superb midrange details and good highs.

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #14 of 33
The HD598s would probably have inadequate bass for his needs.

I would go for the HD650s over the Denons if you're going to stick with one pair. The HD650s are better rounded with less deficiencies.

Quote:
I'd recommend their little brother, the HD 598s.  Great soundstage, great mids, and great bass.  Not skull-shaking, but very well presented.  And no sibilance or harshness, either.  Very pleasant to listen to.

Dec 6, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #15 of 33
Okey thanks again guys!

I will try and get myself a pair of HD650s, but I would rather prefer not to pay like 460 dollar(that's what they cost here) since they go for like 200 dollars less in the US... Any European that happens to know where to get them cheap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back