Non-sibilant headphones with sub bass, big soundstage and good mids!
Dec 6, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #18 of 33
My choice would be Fischer FA-011 if you want an extended bag end (bass), lush midrange and good hi-frequency extension.

Dec 6, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #19 of 33

Quote:
Please explain further why you would think I should choose it over the HD650!

Because I have both, and the D5000 does serious sub bass with impact and has a great sound stage, good mids (flat) and great treble (hint of a sparkle, but not sibilant) and requires minimal amplification.

The HD650 doesn't have the sub bass and impact of the D5000.

Very best,

Dec 6, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #20 of 33
I just sold my D2000s for a pair of HD650s.  The D2000s had great bass and in great recordings the detail of the highs were amazing.  In less than perfect recordings the extra detail turned into sibilance and turned me off of them, half of my collection was unlistenable, punk rock, grunge, most non-label harder music was a treble fest.  I got my HD650s and while bass may not hit as hard, I find the bass to be perfectly tight and impactful enough. Sibilance is almost 100% gone, on some exceptionally challenging recordings there remains a touch but that's going to happen. 
The soundstage is impressive, instrument separation is perfect and I'm having fun picking stuff up that I've never heard before.  All in all, I think the HD650 is the perfect headphone for me, as I am very sensitive to treble.  I'm powering it from an Auzentech Forte as well, so I only expect things to be even better when I get my amp for xmas.

Dec 6, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #22 of 33
Thanks yet again for all the help, I really appreciate it! I'm leaning towards the HD650s since bass comes second to mids. 

Is there any info on the HD700? Will it be released soon?

Also, I have to ask again if anyone know where I can get some HD650s cheap in EU?

Dec 6, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #23 of 33
I would suggest the Kenwood KH-K1000; much better mids than the Denons (I found them somewhat recessed), less harshness, good balance. Against the HD 580s (I don't have the 650's) they have much more bass (deeper as well), better mids, similar detail, different soundstage (more 3D, less space).Closed as well. I'd take the Kenwoods over the Denons (and did) any day of the week. Against the 580's, bit harder to say; depends on the genre you're into.  

Dec 6, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #24 of 33
To avoid confusion, Guldkrull is my brothers account which I accidentaly used.

On topic: Brands such as Kenwood and Fischer is quite hard to come by here so I almost have to exclude them just because of that...

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #25 of 33
I have owned Grado, Sennheiser, Etymotic and now Denon to. From your description the Denon fits that the best overall. While the HD650 is about the best balance I think the Denon hits the hardest low notes and is now my favorite headphone under $500. If you want a less warm sounding phone with great bass while remaining detailed then the AH-D2000 is it but I went for the AH-D5000 and couldn't say enough good things about them. I never thought I would own a Denon component let alone headphone but these are the ticket for any music genre. I got mine at buy.com for $419 new and broke them in with a special Purist Audio CD (plays frequencies randomly) on repeat for 100 hours. DO NOT judge before 75-100 hours they just don't open up or play bass as defined and will sound like a different pair and you will be a believer. I was skeptical and then after breakin they are my main headphone from now on and I'm done spending, how about that?
smile_phones.gif

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #26 of 33
I think that your decision is ultimately the open vs closed debate. Open headphones can never reach the bass impact and quantity of closed headphones, but the HD650 is best in class in this regard. I personally would never give up the comfort and airy sound of open headphones for the more restricted closed headphones, but your needs may be different. If you value isolation and bass impact (not quality) over sound stage and air circulation around the ears, go ahead and purchase a closed pair. I still believe that you get more bang for your buck with an open model based on pure SQ, though.

Dec 6, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #28 of 33

Quote:
To avoid confusion, Guldkrull is my brothers account which I accidentaly used.

On topic: Brands such as Kenwood and Fischer is quite hard to come by here so I almost have to exclude them just because of that...

Actually the Fischer FA-011 are not difficult to obtain, they are also available from ebay.

Dec 7, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #29 of 33

Quote:
 Actually the Fischer FA-011 are not difficult to obtain, they are also available from ebay.

The Kenwood should be as well; AudioCubes sells them also. Basically, where there's a will there's a way. 

I'd take the 650 over the Denon any day of the week if those are the only options though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back