Non Android player with reliable alarm function? Does it exist?
Feb 11, 2014 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

InstantAli3n

New Head-Fier
I am currently using this http://www.amazon.com/Sony-NWZS545-Walkman-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B002IPHA1W I know, shameful.
But don't worry, I also own a Cowon Z2. I have my eye on the Fiio X3 and X5 BUT I can't upgrade to something that will be "useless" (I don't know it's full features yet) Let me explain:

The god awful Sony with it's flickering and scuffed screen will turn on 100% of the time 5 minutes before the alarm is set for and start playing an album over some speakers strapped to my bed. It is my alarm clock. I usually let it play for 30 minutes to an hour and I won't have to plug it in for 2+ weeks. When it's not playing it shuts off after 30 minutes, COMPLETELY OFF, yet it will turn on and play music 9 hours later without any quantifiable hit on the battery. It is really old and still gets better battery life than the Z2.

I bought the Z2 thinking I could finally escape 14.7GB, MP3 and terrible audio quality, then fully embrace FLAC and OGG Vorbis. But I haven't been using it at all because I have yet to get it to successfully wake me up as a music alarm. In standby with it underclocked and all radios off it will drain to death in half a day. Navigating through folders with touchscreen is much harder to do compared to the up/down/play/back of the Sony Walkman. I would LOVE only dedicated buttons!

I need to have one device that does it all, I don't care what it costs, I'll just save.
...Well actually... $400 is a LOT of money. I am willing to spend anywhere from $50 to $500 if I really like it. (I'll probably sell the Z2.)

Minimum Requirements in order of importance: (is this an oxymoron)?

Is reliable as a set and forget MUSIC alarm clock. Not beeping, Music. As if a scheduled ghost hit the play button on a normal MP3 player.
Sleeps around as efficiently as this 5 year old piece of plastic.
10 hours of audio playback and (Sony NWZ-S545 had "46" hours of music playback though I suspect it's more like 12).
Can play OGG Vorbis and FLAC.
Has SDXC slot(s).
Sound quality on par with Cowon Z2 or at least not horrible.
Doesn't run android, doesn't have a touchscreen.

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 
color]

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 3
Works every morning...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-ICFC318BLACK-AM-FM-Clock-Radio-Black/19237011

I firmly believe the key to getting up is to put your alarm across the room from your bed, so that you MUST get out of bed to shut it off. Works for me.

Feb 15, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #3 of 3
Just like I like high quality audio, I also like waking up to music of my choice. This is a total cop out. I asked this same question on OCN and was lead to Rockbox, but I've yet to confirm how the alarm works on it. I listen to the majority of my music when I wake up every day. It's a great stress free way to start the day, and even if I've had a terrible night of non sleeping, when the music starts, I just enjoy it and try to forget that I've been laying there for the past 2 hours awake. (Insomnia is awful)

I really want something to replace my sony, not just add another device to the mix. However, I realize it's a hard to find feature (WHY?!) so if you have an alarm clock with audio out that can store 32GB of OGG then I'm all ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back