Nokia Tablet and DAC/AMP Setup -Cowon Killer
Sep 6, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #31 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by koconder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well it requires kernel modules to get the usb audio working then to patch the also to it, then get canola player to output via the dac... i will be relasing a custom nokia firmware package for audiophilies

Would it work on the N770 too?

Sep 6, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #32 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is totally awesome news. I've always wanted to use one of these Nokia tablets as a USB source for my Predator. I figured the software would allow it or at least could be tweaked to since it's linux -- and I'm really excited to see you stepping up on that koconder!

... but the concern seemed to be the question of whether the tablet would output the appropriate USB power to drive the DAC... and if so, how would it impact the battery life?

Yea.... don't hold youre hopes up will be at least 1-2 months before i release something solid. Yea Linux is Linux so theres allways a way!.

A few ideas i have in terms of customisation is killing all non-esentials for extra power... like have a portable mode/profile made. Secondly i will make a system extension "if" possible, to kill the loudspeaker so it will not sound when headphones are removed, this is great as ive had bad times on public transport where the wire comes loose as i take it out the bag ^^.

USB on the N810 is rated at 200mAh i belive but people report 350 from the log's... as were not powering anything; as nearly all portable dac/amp's have rechargeable batteries. The N810's battery life can be expanded by higer-capacity batteries... also i was going to be running a HDD via the same hook-up.

Quote:

Would it work on the N770 too?

Sorry i think theres major hardware diffrences.

For anyone who was going to buy the tablet im considering selling them pre-modded, or even do an upgrade service (tbc).

So Mods and Software need doing;
* ASIO Working Properly
* Testing it against most DAC's (with youre help)
* Power Saving Mode (Disable Non Essentials)
* Cannola working with DAC (Flac, LastFM, Coverflow... Awsome Player)
* Larger Nokia Batteries
* Small HDD 1.8" via USB (iPod/Zune Hard-Disks)
* Rubber/Plastic Enclosure to protect the rig.
* Some sort of control panel to show its all working and to disable, etc.

Like i said work in progress, but i hope to get another N810 and start supplying the killer combo for the "best" player. Also if anyone wants ill be selling it as a package pre-modded with the extras or even do upgrades... but thats future. What are youre ideas on this.

Sep 7, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #33 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by koconder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
USB on the N810 is rated at 200mAh i belive but people report 350 from the log's... as were not powering anything; as nearly all portable dac/amp's have rechargeable batteries.

Just to be clear, the Predator (and all the other portable USB dacs I can think of) do rely on the power from the USB port. In the case of the Predator, only the amp is driven via the internal, rechargeable battery.

Sep 7, 2008 at 8:26 AM Post #34 of 48
How did you get around the ALSA problem?

Sep 7, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #35 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to be clear, the Predator (and all the other portable USB dacs I can think of) do rely on the power from the USB port. In the case of the Predator, only the amp is driven via the internal, rechargeable battery.

The DAC's can be powerd fine theres loads of juice there. xD

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Junesequa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did you get around the ALSA problem?

There really aint an ALSA problem installing the drivers and lil remapping, i got it work fine... just waiting for next paycheck to get another n810 to make a howto.

Sep 8, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #36 of 48
I've kind of thought of a setup like this but feel it is not really practical for portable use. Also to address a few issues raised earlier, there are three models of this tablet:

1) 770 - the original one, has RS-MMC slot with 2GB maximum storage, has usb client port only, does NOT have USB OTG so cannot operate in host mode. In other words I don't think it's usable for this project.

2) 800 - followon to 770, discontinued but you can get them for about $200. Has USB OTG and has TWO (!!) full sized SD slots that work with SDHC with latest OS release (one slot is external, the other is hidden away in the battery compartment). That means you can put in a pair of 32GB SDHC cards ($128 each at newegg right now) for 64gb total. This is the most interesting IMO. I'll discuss the drawbacks further down.

3) 810 - the current model, adds a slide-out keyboard and built-in GPS to the 800. Unfortunately the two (!) full-sized SD/SDHC slots are replaced with one (1) mini or micro SDHC slot plus 2GB of internal flash, so you get 10GB max capacity without having to swap cards around. I think this is a big disadvantage compared with the 800, so for an audio player I'd look for an 800.

Drawbacks: compared to a reasonable DAP the thing is big and battery power is limited and you're looking at much extraneous crap to get the USB output to work. I have a 770 that I almost never use, and thought about buying an 880 but ended up getting an ASUS EEE PC 701 4G instead. The EEE is a small laptop computer (about 2 pounds) which is fairly unencumbering for most travel purposes. It is much better for general computer stuff (wifi, email etc) than the Nokia tablets and is roughly the same price as an 810. It has three real USB ports and an SD/SDHC slot, plus it has ethernet. There are some newer models now like the Dell 910 which seem even nicer but I haven't tried them yet. Again, battery consumption is ridiculous for a DAP but you should at least be able to run a USB DAC from it with no problem. I have a Headroom Total Bithead on order (I wonder what the head-fi folks think of that converter) and will try it with the EEE when it arrives, though I mainly plan to use it with my full sized laptop.

Sep 8, 2008 at 9:09 AM Post #37 of 48
I had the same problem with the battery. ALthough when I think about it

you can double the battery life with a higher capacity I think its 3200mah or something..giving you (according to nokia 10hours) closer to 8.

buy two battery's and you have 16 hours without a charge. Brilliant. With great sound.

However size is still a big issue. Sometimes you just want a small player.

Koconder when you do it. Youtube it and send it to the mods. Ask if you can imbedd the video somewhere! Will be hard to buy nokia tablets after that

If it happens.

Oct 30, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #38 of 48
any luck with this? im holding off purchasing my n810
smily_headphones1.gif
maybe if the new promised nokia tablet comes in with maemo 5 ill get that

Nov 4, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #39 of 48
wow, no other progress on this? kocondor? you sir have gotten the natives restless!
smily_headphones1.gif

i just hope you can calm them down with pics, videos, and tutorials.
wink.gif

Nov 12, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #43 of 48
I've tried a buncj officer ways to get the usb module to fire up, but no luck. i even ran my n800 using a Debian instal, but can't get anything working.

TBH with the new small notebooks i'm giving up with the n800 idea and i'm waiting for santa to deliver!

Nov 26, 2008 at 10:29 AM Post #44 of 48
Gosh.... i step out the room and look what happens... i leave "the natives restless"
biggrin.gif
... I'm waiting on my n810 (any for sale, or parts exchange)... mines a gonner, need a new one to help you guys out and to simplify and bring all the other mods making it a worthwhile DAP

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately the two (!) full-sized SD/SDHC slots are replaced with one (1) mini or micro SDHC slot

Thats not an issue there's a way to get even full size SD cards working on that baby
wink.gif
.... i was thinking of 16gb SDHC Cards. But not to forget i have the option of having more room via SSD's and HDD's tru USB.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Junesequa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However size is still a big issue. Sometimes you just want a small player.

Lot of Case Modifications... i have access to a CNC and even better laser cutters
ph34r.gif
(big plastic factory ftw!).... and the youtube video no problem, i don't mind making a better quality HD and put it on vimeo so you guys can see the finish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bingtheone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
since the n810 wimax edition is coming out, i'm getting more and more interested in this project, please update with anything new!

You're a star
biggrin.gif
... im definatley going to try on this, even though im here in the UK... thought it would be cool
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried a buncj officer ways to get the usb module to fire up, but no luck. i even ran my n800 using a Debian instal, but can't get anything working.

TBH with the new small notebooks i'm giving up with the n800 idea and i'm waiting for santa to deliver!

Other USB Devices working properly?

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #45 of 48
I can work everything else just fine, USB HD/keyboard, just can't get and mixer to talk to my DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back