Nokia Tablet and DAC/AMP Setup -Cowon Killer
Apr 12, 2008 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

koconder

New Head-Fier
Hi i've been trying to build the near-perfect portable rig. The Nokia 8100 Tablet will be used as the source. Which runs linux and supports USB OTG so a USB DAC is what i'm after. Along with this this baby can pack 16GB SDHC card from newegg for 70$ which i'll cram with flac music files (Canola Media Player).

I'll be purchasing AKG K701's with possible custom balanced cables which will turn into a normal jack at the amp.

Now the USB DAC, im looking for somthing such as a iBasso D2 which has a bulit-in amp, this would be preferable as its portable. I would love to get recommendations for other possible USB DAC/AMP that could suit this build. I would like to take into consideration cost as im purcasing the AKG's and the tablet.

A few setups i have seen on this forum but none using DAC's (becuase of the complexity of setting it up). Requires custom kernel modules for the tablet.

I hope this thread will awnser a few questions for a few people.

Apr 12, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 48
Hello,

You said you're going to use the tablet's USB OTG feature to feed the DAC. Did you take into consideration the impact on battery life?
Also, can USB OTG feed USB DACs? I myself thought of getting a UMPC in the future with such a DAC but in the end I decided to get a Cowon Q5W instead and plug it into an iBasso D1 via coax. The thing is, that the Q5W has USB OTG, so maybe a USB DAC will do the job.
Anyway, to your question, there is a number of similar USB DAC/AMP combos. You might consider the Corda 2Move or the UHA-3. There is also the Pico but it's expensive.
One more question I wanted to ask, why do you connect your balanced K701 cable to a single ended jack? do you have a balanced setup at home or are you planning to get one? if not, you're losing any advantage a balanced cable will give you.

Apr 13, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #5 of 48
Well,

as already mentioned I'd recommend the Meier Audio 2Move.

Great little amp/dac combo. I haven't heard the RSA amps though, but the 2Move really is a great device!

I've heard very good things about the pico too! But it's indeed very expensive.

the Meier 2Move has the best price imho. (especially for a person in the EU)

Greetz

Apr 13, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #6 of 48
You have lots of options, like:

01. HeadRoom Total BitHead
02. iBasso D1
03. iBasso D2
04. Predator
05. Pico
06. UHA-3
07. Move (used only)
08. 2Move
09. Headphonia
10. XM5
11. Go-Vibe Petite + Dac

I have tested the first 9 and of those because of price and size I like the iBasso D2 and the Pico. This is if both the DAC and Amp are considered.

Apr 13, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #7 of 48
koconder, are you sure the nokia 8100 can feed a USB dac ? I know its says usb to-go on the spec but just that doesn't mean it can output USB audio to a dac. What kind of kernel mods are required and have you seen this done before ?

Apr 13, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #8 of 48
I have the D2 and love it
smily_headphones1.gif
It's a great cheap option to the more expensive DAC/AMP combos out there (Pico/Predator).

I'm not sure you can output audio via USB-OTG. I've tried it on my Cowon A2, doesn't work... the device needs USB Audio DAC drivers, think.

Apr 14, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #9 of 48
1. Just to clarify the USB on the nokia WILL work with USB DAC's, its been tried and tested by a handful of people. The way it works is USB audio drivers from linux are compiled to make it work with the tablet, there are prebuilt drivers/kernel modules out there. This setup would beat the cowon to functionality, power, and more
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

2. for power the nokia and the dac/amp will have thier own power sources so im not too woired about that, i could piggyback a second nokia battery ontop only thing would be the astechtics.

3. The balanced cable would be for my home rig. I dont have a proper headphone home rig at the moment but i do have a setup for high quality sound recording and mixing. Possibly a custom tube amp or could mod the Denon Setero i have
biggrin.gif
, as for source ill probably use the DAC on my computer (Digidesign 001) and an SACD player.

4. The DAC/AMP's which is the main point, thanks for the considerations.
The Predator is wonderfull but pricy since i will invest for a Tablet and Cans,
The Pico is move expensive than the predator.

iBasso D2 Viper is probabbly my best option at the moment, 200$ and reading the reviews i cant go wrong.

-=-
Setup

[size=x-small]Nokia n810 -> Custom High Quality USB Cable (w/ Better Connectors) -> iBasso D2 Viper -> AKG K701[/size]
The Nokia Will Be Setup to Use the data plan (unmetered) via bluetoon on my Nokia E61. So i can listen to Shoutcast and Last.fm, and home mp3 server if you want. 2gig internal + 16gb SDHC Card = 18gig. All Music FLAC higest quility/bitrate possible.

-=-
Costs

iBasso $200
Tablet $40 (Tade-in with an N95)
Memory Card $70
AKG K701 $320 (Could Find It Cheaper if Used)

Total: 630$ or £315

-=-
I will love to see what you guys think in terms of cost of this setup and recommendations.

Apr 14, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #10 of 48
if you do get the USB audio output workingon the nokia tablet please post detailed instructions (what needs to be installed, tweaked etc).

Apr 14, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #11 of 48
wow. sounds like an amazing setup. however, if you're already spending 630$ on a portable rig, you might as well consider a better amp(if the other offer better performance than the D2).

May 17, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #12 of 48
Any of you guys know if the N770 would also output digital via USB to a dac?
From where one could obtain a mini-USB to mini-USB cable for this?

Thanks!

May 17, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #14 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a good source of info on setting up USB with the Nokia 810. Search there to see if there's info on the N770.
TabletBlog.com by ThoughtFix: USB Host

Thanks!

Whoa... these guys' take on "hacking" is quite literal.

May 17, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #15 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by koconder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Just to clarify the USB on the nokia WILL work with USB DAC's, its been tried and tested by a handful of people. The way it works is USB audio drivers from linux are compiled to make it work with the tablet, there are prebuilt drivers/kernel modules out there. This setup would beat the cowon to functionality, power, and more
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

2. for power the nokia and the dac/amp will have thier own power sources so im not too woired about that, i could piggyback a second nokia battery ontop only thing would be the astechtics.

3. The balanced cable would be for my home rig. I dont have a proper headphone home rig at the moment but i do have a setup for high quality sound recording and mixing. Possibly a custom tube amp or could mod the Denon Setero i have
biggrin.gif
, as for source ill probably use the DAC on my computer (Digidesign 001) and an SACD player.

4. The DAC/AMP's which is the main point, thanks for the considerations.
The Predator is wonderfull but pricy since i will invest for a Tablet and Cans,
The Pico is move expensive than the predator.

iBasso D2 Viper is probabbly my best option at the moment, 200$ and reading the reviews i cant go wrong.

-=-
Setup

[size=x-small]Nokia n810 -> Custom High Quality USB Cable (w/ Better Connectors) -> iBasso D2 Viper -> AKG K701[/size]
The Nokia Will Be Setup to Use the data plan (unmetered) via bluetoon on my Nokia E61. So i can listen to Shoutcast and Last.fm, and home mp3 server if you want. 2gig internal + 16gb SDHC Card = 18gig. All Music FLAC higest quility/bitrate possible.

-=-
Costs

iBasso $200
Tablet $40 (Tade-in with an N95)
Memory Card $70
AKG K701 $320 (Could Find It Cheaper if Used)

Total: 630$ or £315

-=-
I will love to see what you guys think in terms of cost of this setup and recommendations.

All I know is after reading this thread, I have been greatly under utilizing my N810's potential. The N810 hasn't got the best reputation for strong volume, but using it with a pair of super-fi 5's, I'm pretty impressed with the overall sound quality. Frankly, you've taken things to another level and opened my eyes on where you can take the N810.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back