Nokia Tablet and DAC/AMP Setup -Cowon Killer
May 28, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #17 of 48
Looks a little overkill for audio, as Nokia only rates it for 10hrs of playback. If you can get it cheap, I mean, sure it'll look good but it doesn't seem like a media powerhouse.

At that price point, it's in the same league as the Q5W. While it kicks the s**t out of the Cowon in terms of connectivity, it loses in the media dept.

May 28, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #18 of 48
pics
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #19 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodeca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks a little overkill for audio, as Nokia only rates it for 10hrs of playback. If you can get it cheap, I mean, sure it'll look good but it doesn't seem like a media powerhouse.

That's with the 1500mah battery, but there's extended batteries (1800mah and 3600mah) for sale that will improve the audio playback time on the Nokia and the fact that you can remove the battery means you can double or even triple your audio life with a spare battery.

The N810 might not be the best at any one thing, but it's the master of many things and for a convergence device with a lot of open source potential, it has a lot going for it.

Search Results : ETEN Webshop

Jun 12, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #20 of 48
I just thought of this idea today! It turns out that you guys have already done it! I think I'm going to the Nokia store today and buying myself my next PMP! Please help me setting it up! Thanks.

Jun 12, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #21 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by sxr71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just thought of this idea today! It turns out that you guys have already done it! I think I'm going to the Nokia store today and buying myself my next PMP! Please help me setting it up! Thanks.

Internet Tablet Talk will become your friend; it's got me out of a few jams now and then
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #22 of 48
I already have a N800 and N810 that I use for controlling my music server at home. I have been interested in using the DAC output to a DAC amp, but like everyone over at ITT, I can't get it to work.
This seems like the right place to ask. How, exactly, do I get this running?

Cheers

BT

Aug 12, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #23 of 48
The post has generated some intrest... i shall be posting my new setup with full instructions soon... this is "the" ultimate pmp. The power issue aint as bad is it seems aswell.

Aug 12, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #24 of 48
just emailed my mate from nokia europe.

estimate 3-5 hours of battery life during continuous audio application. 6 - 8 tops. Its not designed for continuous audio.

in my humble opinion its too bulky to carry around. too heavy and the battery wont last long enough.

but usb out would be great. if you can tripple the battery youve got a winner. a big winner but...a winner..big bulky winner

Aug 12, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #25 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Junesequa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just emailed my mate from nokia europe.

estimate 3-5 hours of battery life during continuous audio application. 6 - 8 tops. Its not designed for continuous audio.

in my humble opinion its too bulky to carry around. too heavy and the battery wont last long enough.

but usb out would be great. if you can tripple the battery youve got a winner. a big winner but...a winner..big bulky winner

I've got solutions for all of this and it gets better... ive found a way to get a small hard disk in without compromising power... it will give around 10 or so hours... but only downside the batterys are tricky to recharge (like we care).... so hold tight guys ill be making the dream pmp reality.

Just an update this pmp will be using "Canola 2" player which is a killer media player with soutcast, cover flow, last.fm, ogg, flac, the works.

And things you think this thing might be missing lemme know... ill cook something up
biggrin.gif

Aug 19, 2008 at 10:32 AM Post #27 of 48
I think the Nokia Charging is low volt's so i could cook something up... yea flac over SMB aint a bad idea, but i prefer the flac's local.

Aug 19, 2008 at 11:12 AM Post #28 of 48
Ok, so how do we connect the N810 to a DAC amp?
I have a battery pack that gives me 15+ hours on my N810, but thats not the real issue here, as I've been wanting to leave my laptop behind when I go on the road, the N810 does pretty much all I ever need to do (read e-mail, browse web, phone home etc) but I lug the lappy to lay music (and movies).
I've still not found a way to get the N810 to send the correct output to any DAC, but I'm all ears.
My next trip is in the middle of september, be great if I could be really portable.

BT

Aug 20, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #29 of 48
Well it requires kernel modules to get the usb audio working then to patch the also to it, then get canola player to output via the dac... i will be relasing a custom nokia firmware package for audiophilies

Sep 6, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #30 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by koconder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well it requires kernel modules to get the usb audio working then to patch the also to it, then get canola player to output via the dac... i will be relasing a custom nokia firmware package for audiophilies

This is totally awesome news. I've always wanted to use one of these Nokia tablets as a USB source for my Predator. I figured the software would allow it or at least could be tweaked to since it's linux -- and I'm really excited to see you stepping up on that koconder!

... but the concern seemed to be the question of whether the tablet would output the appropriate USB power to drive the DAC... and if so, how would it impact the battery life?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back