"Nokia N8" and "feeding a (portable) DAC with USB on-the-go"
Mar 13, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #151 of 215
Yes, if I've understood correctly the D-Zero only recharges when the Charge-switch is engaged, other than that it uses the internal battery even when connected through usb. I'm under the impression that E7 and E17 also have this same functionality but I don't have personal experience using them, so can't be sure.

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #152 of 215
Just wanted to confirm that the Leckerton UHA-4 does work with my Nokia E7. However, there seems to be no option to disable USB charging so the battery runs out very quickly (and the E7 itself is very power hungry). You wouldn't get more than a couple of hours out of it. It would be great if someone can confirm whether the D-Zero runs from battery when the Charge switch is off. With the older HeadAmp Pico DAC connected, the phone battery lasts much longer since the Pico has no USB charging option.

May 2, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #153 of 215
thanks the orb

anyone for any more?

May 11, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #154 of 215
Hello.

2 questions about Nokia CU-17:
1- Does it work with whatever sound software in the Nokia N8? E.g.: Video player, games, call answering etc. Or only works with the music player?
2- How much does it affects the battery consumption?

Cheers

May 11, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #155 of 215
On my N8 is works with Nokia player, Folder play and Music Launch, I know it also works with call answering much to my annoyance. Don't know about video or games, but don't see why not.

I use it with a Fiio E7, and as long as the USB charge on the E7 is switched off it has not noticeable affect on the battery

May 14, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #157 of 215
I use the Nokia N8, it has digital out via USB OTG, the DAC in the E7 is (slightly) better than the DAC in the N8, plus it will bypass the N8s headphone amp.
sorry don't know what a CU-17 is

May 21, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #158 of 215
Quote:
What puts me off the N8 is that it's symbian - although it seems they've addressed much of what was wrong with symbian, I jumped ship for android a while back and I can't be bothered with symbian again.

for the sound, picture and features I can live with an unfashionable OS

May 21, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #159 of 215
Quote:
for the sound, picture and features I can live with an unfashionable OS

I've considered buying one for the same reasons many times. I'll be getting a Pure View when they come out for my partner to chronicle out little toddler with it's otherwordly camera, hope it's sound is up to the N8s (and also hope the USB OTG support is tweaked a little to allow me to use my E17).

May 21, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #160 of 215
Quote:

I've considered buying one for the same reasons many times. I'll be getting a Pure View when they come out for my partner to chronicle out little toddler with it's otherwordly camera, hope it's sound is up to the N8s (and also hope the USB OTG support is tweaked a little to allow me to use my E17).

A 41mp camera, it's almost ironic considering the effort Nokia is putting into keeping up with the competition. "We can't write software so let's head in this direction," lol.

Jul 9, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #161 of 215
Bump. Going to copy Anaxilus and give this a go, fed up waiting for Android to sort itself out, the DX100 bugs remind me too much of my S:Flo2, the iOS options are too limited/expensive for me given all the other stuff I want to buy... 

N8 = £150ish if I can get a used one
UHA-6S = $279 = about £180
64gb microSD = $70 = about £30

The latter two I can get my parents to pick up while they're over in the states in a few weeks and bring them back in their bags.

Would just need an ergonomic USB cable then, pity the N8's comes out the side, urgh.

Jul 9, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #162 of 215
The same stereo codec DAC33, the same amplifier TPA6130.
Разница лишь переходных емкостях между ЦАПом и УНЧ, 2,2мкФ на 5800 и 1.5мкФ на 5310 дросселя после УНЧ на уши у 5310 два отдельных у 5800 два в одном корпусе, но идентичные по параметрам.​
The only difference between the transient vessels DAC and VLF, 2.2 uF at 5800 and 5310 1.5mkF on the throttle after the VLF to the ears in two separate 5310 from 5800 two in one package, but identical to the parameters.
Питания по схеме одинаковые.​
Power under the scheme are the same.
Да, еще расстояния между ЦАП и УНЧ разные, у 5310 рядом у 5800 далеко.​
Oh, and the distance between the DAC and VLF are different, the 5310 near the 5800 away.
И вот думаю,может ли эта небольшая разница в схемотехнике повлиять на разницу в звучании?​
And I think, whether this small difference in the circuitry affected by the difference in sound?
Или все таки это разница программная?​
Or are all the same software is the difference?

Useful to know, thanks for the link.

The specs measured by RMAA are not useful, you at least need a dScope until you can start seeing the sound quality of any smartphone.

...or, you can just look at similar devices which use the TPA6130, etc.

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #164 of 215
God, I had an N8 recently and even with the Belle update that OS is atrocious and feels unusable compared to others. Agree the SQ is nice and the camera fantastic.

Sep 14, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #165 of 215
the FM transmitter is my most used feature, no more rubbish music on the car radio!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back