"Nokia N8" and "feeding a (portable) DAC with USB on-the-go"
Jan 14, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #167 of 215
Hi guys.... i'm new to this forum ( what a fantastic community). I own a Nokia 808, and was planning to buy an ibasso d7, and was wondering if it works with my phone....

Thank you in advance! 

Jan 14, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #169 of 215
Quote:
Hi guys.... i'm new to this forum ( what a fantastic community). I own a Nokia 808, and was planning to buy an ibasso d7, and was wondering if it works with my phone....

Thank you in advance! 

Hard to know without having actually tried it.

For reference my 808 works with my RSA Intruder, and also my Leckterton UHA-6S.MKII, but doesn't work with my HeadAmp Pico or my Apex Glacier (all of which work without driver installation and on some phones like the S3/Note 2). So the USB audio implementation is a bit more hit and miss on the Nokia's than the Samsungs.

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #171 of 215
Jan 24, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #172 of 215
Hi guys a Nokia N8 owner here. I just updated the N8 with the Belle, an OS heavily based on the Android and the N8 just came to life. I am now wondering about 2 things:

1. Can I use an external DAC with the N8 reasonably? - meaning: Can one make a nice compact rig with the N8 and another dac and should I expect a big improvement over the DAC of the N8 with a FiiO Alpen (E17) for example?

2. Can you find an APP for the N8 (now that I have the Belle) that plays FLAC (or something lossless)?

thanks

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #173 of 215
1. Yes, you can... but not the E17, it doesn't work with the N8. I don't think the E17 sounds particularly better than the N8 in any case, only exception would be if the cans you were using were a bit more difficult to drive.
2. I think the only FLAC capable player would be Folder Player, which requires you to hack your phone to allow installation of unsigned apps. LCG Jukebox also has FLAC play but last I saw it hadn't been updated for Belle, may be worth installing their trial version to see whether it does work.

Jan 27, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #174 of 215
Quote:

2. Can you find an APP for the N8 (now that I have the Belle) that plays FLAC (or something lossless)?

thanks

Thought I would check and see whether any apps are now available that can play FLAC without requiring the phone to be hacked - found this one today on the Nokia Store:

[size=1.5em] QuasarMX[/size]

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #175 of 215
Quote:

Thought I would check and see whether any apps are now available that can play FLAC without requiring the phone to be hacked - found this one today on the Nokia Store:

[size=1.5em] QuasarMX[/size]

You actually got me hyped up for a new prospective in my life.. mobile audio... lets see how that works out 
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #176 of 215
I installed the Quasar Mx and all I can say: WOW!!

Gonna add my MicroSD card which has 8 Gb of free space, and start putting FLAC on it. It actually sounds amazing; it surpassed my expectations.

It will drive my 55 ohm AKG K242s, and I get a pretty balanced sound with a great amount of detail. Bass is pretty sharp, mids are okay and treble is also good. I am very fond of the soundstage.

Im thinking now of getting some decent portable headphones.. any ideas? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #177 of 215
I have used folder play for FLAC for about a year, perfect.

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #178 of 215
Quote:
I installed the Quasar Mx and all I can say: WOW!!

Gonna add my MicroSD card which has 8 Gb of free space, and start putting FLAC on it. It actually sounds amazing; it surpassed my expectations.

It will drive my 55 ohm AKG K242s, and I get a pretty balanced sound with a great amount of detail. Bass is pretty sharp, mids are okay and treble is also good. I am very fond of the soundstage.

Im thinking now of getting some decent portable headphones.. any ideas? 
smily_headphones1.gif

ATH-ES55

or if you want to spend more
DT1350

but the 55s worked great for me, superb sound and VFM

Jan 28, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #179 of 215
Quote:
I have used folder play for FLAC for about a year, perfect.

Folder Play requires your device be hacked to allow installation of non-signed packages though right? I mentioned it above, but the restriction makes it less useful to those who don't want to hack their phone. Quasar MX is really pretty decent, I installed it yesterday also.

Jan 29, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #180 of 215
not at all, I don't even know how to hack
as before, used it for a year with no problems,
now have 50gb+ of FLAC, a great back up to my DAPs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back