Nokia Lumia 920 sound quality?
Nov 9, 2012 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 143

nyonya

100+ Head-Fier
Wondering if anyone on here has gotten their hands on the Nokia Lumia 920 and can give any feedback on how it sounds. The international version should be the same as the US version for once.

Nov 10, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #2 of 143
I actually got mine today. One thing that bothers me is that the only lossless I can play is WMA which is fine I guess. Flac & Wav lossless doesn't work, wont show up in the player. 

It does not really get too loud without an AMP which is sort of expected I guess...then again, I did expect more from Nokia, sound is clean though, no distortion very clear bass even with E7 pumped up all the way to max volume + phone to max volume. 

Without an amp, meh ... with amp ... not bad at all. Clean sound, good bass reproduction. Unlike with other devices, when you cap out the phone & amp on sound, you get distortion due to double amp, you do not get that with the 920. 
It kind of sounds like Ipod > lod > amp. 

Trying to find a better player for wp8 though, stock players are never really all that. 
Did find some players, but they are really focused on streaming from cloud / computer with cache so you can listen to your music even when you are not around a signal.

EDIT: I am going to see how this does with E11 once I charge it up, E7 is usually more rounded, also will dig up my OTG cable & see if E7 will work with USB OTG cable & Lumia 920.

Nov 10, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #3 of 143
I actually got mine today. One thing that bothers me is that the only lossless I can play is WMA which is fine I guess. Flac & Wav lossless doesn't work, wont show up in the player. 

It does not really get too loud without an AMP which is sort of expected I guess...then again, I did expect more from Nokia, sound is clean though, no distortion very clear bass even with E7 pumped up all the way to max volume + phone to max volume. 

Without an amp, meh ... with amp ... not bad at all. Clean sound, good bass reproduction. Unlike with other devices, when you cap out the phone & amp on sound, you get distortion due to double amp, you do not get that with the 920. 

Trying to find a better player for wp8 though, stock players are never really all that. 
Did find some players, but they are really focused on streaming from cloud / computer with cache so you can listen to your music even when you are not around a signal.

EDIT: I am going to see how this does with E11 once I charge it up, E7 is usually more rounded, also will dig up my OTG cable & see if E7 will work with USB OTG cable & Lumia 920.

I'm pretty sure there are some apps allowing you run lossless files out there.
Also is there a LO for Nokia?

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #4 of 143
The Nokia phones have Nokia Music, and have a custom EQ. Then theres the stock music player. There are no other apps that play music,... And, there are no LOD's to use either,...

PS: my Lumia 920 will be here on Monday,...I'm upgrading from the Lumia 900. :cool:

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #5 of 143
Is finally gapless playback in Windows Phone 8? Or Balmer is taking on the world with no gapless in 2012?

You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother

Nov 10, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #6 of 143
Is finally gapless playback in Windows Phone 8? Or Balmer is taking on the world with no gapless in 2012?
You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother

I don't really know,....I'd go ask my grandmother but she's been deceased since I was a little child. :rolleyes:

Nov 10, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #7 of 143
Quote:

So would you say that it sounds good, apart from not getting loud enough?  What earphones/headphones are you driving with it?

Nov 10, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #8 of 143
Try a set of Incase Sonic hp's. They sound excellent with my Lumia 900,...I'm hoping for the same with the 920.

Nov 11, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #9 of 143
Well I ended up having to exchange mine due to a bad battery. ( drained in less then 6 hours while I slept from 100 to 0 ) 
New one works perfectly & it seems that the sound issue has been fixed. My Nokia 920 WITH NO AMP sounds EXACTLY like the Sony Z walkman with LOD & E7. 

Get this, I am using Ultrasone pro 900s. Yes with NO amp directly plugged into the phone playing a lossless audio file it sounds exactly the same as Sony Z with LOD and miles ahead of my IPOD with lod. 

I am stunned, amazed. Even with the amp somehow @ both source & amp maxed volume it gives me no distortion at all and amazing clean sound. 

I am going to sell my Ipod & Sony Z to friends now, no need for either, this phone sounds much better. 

Nov 11, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #10 of 143
Wow!!! I'm happy to hear this. I can't wait till tomorrow when mine arrives. I'll set it up, throw on some of my favorite tunes, and fire her up!!! WooHoo!!! :)

Nov 12, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #11 of 143
Wow that sounds (pun) awesome!

I'm in ozzieland so gotta wait till about end of month before the 920 is released but definitely looking forward to it!
Can't say I'm too happy with the Nokia 900 that I have at the moment in terms of audio quality.. awesome phone/OS of course :D

Nov 12, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #12 of 143
Unfortunately reports from Lumia 920 users have almost confirmed that THERE IS NOT GAPLESS playback on Windows Phone 8.

Sad but true (and deal breaker for me).

This kind of disregard to the music experience is outrageous to me.

Nov 12, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #13 of 143
The only reason I'm not complaining about these phones not having gapless is I've become a "shuffle al" type. I'm not able to use my phone on the go to sit and listen to an album, so this suits me fine.

As for sq, it's good on the Lumia 900. The bass IS heavily boosted, but it's good. The volume is somewhat lacking,...but with the correct iem's or cans I'm fine with it (I guess).

Nov 12, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #14 of 143
Being an album listener myself (including many live albums) i can't step back from the perfect gapless from my iDevices to a non gapless device.

Sad ;(

Nov 12, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #15 of 143
Hopefully I'll have a good report after I try it out tonight,...and I'll load "Pink Floyd's The Wall" and check out if it gapless or not. Wish me luck,... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back