Noisy bird outside my window every morning.
Jun 28, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #16 of 42
I had a damn pigeon just a couple of meters away from me while I was studying for the exams, it never stopped with making that irritating pigeon-noise.
Yes I used my bb-gun to chase it quite often, mayeb three hits in 1 week.
I'm sure it survives the thing (unless you really got a high pressure one) else I wouldn't have done it.... well mayeb I would've...
tongue.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #17 of 42
Crows are intelligent and are believed to be able to recognize a person. We have some that seem to know us and follow me around the property. I feed them unsalted peanuts. they don't seem to bother us otherwise and are not to noisy. I know my neighbor hates them and is alway trying to chase them off, they seem to take pleasure in yelling at him and annoying him. My wife and I have noticed this on many occasions.
The trouble with bb guns that I have found in trying to rid my yard of a population explosion of squirrels is that you need something powerful enough to be accurate so you can hit them but something with that much power will also injure them. I am still trying to get rid of them, maybe if I could train the crows, hmmmm....

Jun 29, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #18 of 42
A fairly powerful pellet rifle (forget the crude "BB" gun) shooting felt cleaning pellets is a good way to go, as one writer said, they can add exit velocity to pests, and you won't have to worry about popping anyone's windows.

On the other hand, in one apartment complex I lived in, woodpeckers would have at the siding, and it sounded like someone was using a power tool. One neighbor offed one of the 'peckers with a shotgun IN TOWN - not recommended.

Jun 29, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So something annoys you....so you kill it? :-/

Yeah, some people - the rest of us just think about it...

Jun 29, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So something annoys you....so you kill it? :-/

Oh if it were that easy....
very_evil_smiley.gif

I don't think Laz was suggesting anyone go out and blow a bird away with a shotgun. There are other ways of getting rid of birds....you should know.

Jun 29, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh if it were that easy....
very_evil_smiley.gif

I don't think Laz was suggesting anyone go out and blow a bird away with a shotgun. There are other ways of getting rid of birds....you should know.

I did indeed use the words, "...not recommended."

Jun 29, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #24 of 42
In Japan they sell bottle rockets to scare off crows and monkeys, never seen a monkey though.
Too bad you live in the OC though. I know your not allowed to have fire works there.

Jun 29, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Especially with the neighbors

You won't have to leave it on all night. A few seconds of the spotlight will cause it to fly off and, after a few episodes, it'll learn to go elsewhere. I'm sure you could angle it so the light doesn't go into someone's window.

Jun 30, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #29 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenzip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could try a laser pointer.

An owl decoy will attract crows, they love to harass owls.

I've had a similar bird problem, on several occasions. The laser pointer works, especially if you have access to a powerful green laser pointer. Two big advantages over a supersoaker: 1) Laser travels easily and safely through a window, even a 20th story window; 2) Laser has much greater range and accuracy than a supersoaker, so you are more likely to be able to track the pest.

The fake owl solution, besides being a bit annoying to set up, fails after the birds realize the owl is not a predator, but a piece of plastic. Audio annoys people more easily than the pest. Surprisingly, the best solution for me was to simply tape a silhouette of a hawk, cut from black construction paper, to the window nearest the pest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back