NOISE RoCK THrEAD
Apr 20, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #46 of 70
Been shopping again.  Things to check out:

Nadja - Touched (drone metal)
Melvins - Chicken Switch (remix album with lots of noise guys)
John Zorn - Naked City (Eye Yamatsuka guests.  This album has everything on it from soft jazz to country to noise rock, hardcore, and the James Bond theme.  It's effin' crazy.)
Nisennenmondai - Sore de souzou suru neji

Apr 21, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #47 of 70
Dude chicken switch is terrible. Don't waste your time. Nadja is fantastic, I adore Naked City their song made Funny Games...never heard of the final one.

Check out Sun araw and pocahaunted.

Apr 21, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #49 of 70
what

Apr 21, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #51 of 70

Nisennenmondai is neat unpolished post rock.  No lyrics.  I showed it to a friend and she said they sounded like Acidman to her, which I guess I can sorta hear but wouldn't have thought of myself.  Actually, yknow, I'm listening to Faust's Ravvivando right now and I heard similarities in that.  On the disc I got, NSNM names each track after their influences, so there's that, too.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorede_Souzousuru_Neji

And too late, I've already decided I like Chicken Switch (though I gather it's a fair departure from proper Melvins albums).  I didn't have any Melvins stuff and hated the idea of starting on a remix album, but decided to go for it when I saw that Boredoms' Eye and Merzbow were both guests.  Also, the guy from Acid Mothers Temple is on there and caught my attention so I want to check them out now.  Since I'm curious about Melvins and I suppose you're an expert on them, where is a good starting place?

Oh snap! I remembered something I forgot before.  I picked up Merzbow's Protean World LP when I was in Portland.  Got it home and opened it up to find it was one of the 300 rare ones with the red vinyl :D
Quote:
Dude chicken switch is terrible. Don't waste your time. Nadja is fantastic, I adore Naked City their song made Funny Games...never heard of the final one.

Sun Araw and Pocahaunted?  Will do.

Apr 21, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #52 of 70
Start with these three: (a) Senile Animal, Stoner Witch, and Houdini
then: Lysol, A bride screamed murder, and Bullhead

Finally: Nude with boots, the crybaby and Hostile ambient takeover.

The most accessible would be Houdini or A senile. The heaviest are lysol and bullhead. The weirdest are stag, Chicken switch and ozma. The rawest is Gluey Porch Treatments. Most polished is Stoner Witch or (a) Senile. All are ****ing awesome. Enjoy.

Apr 21, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #53 of 70
You listen to Merzbow and all that other weird annoying noise stuff but never gave the melvins a solid listen? You sir/miss....most certainly be a hipster.

:)

Apr 23, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #55 of 70
haha I feel you.

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #57 of 70
Quote:
You listen to Merzbow and all that other weird annoying noise stuff but never gave the melvins a solid listen? You sir/miss....most certainly be a hipster.

:)

I'm old enough to have been around when Melvins was the band you listened to when you were too hip for Alice in Chains and Ministry. Kids these days, sheesh.

I could never get into Melvins, myself, but they influenced so many bands that I like that I respect 'em all the same.

Jun 27, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #58 of 70

Quote:

Sun Araw, YES! Boat Trip/Off Duty is phenomenal. I also saw Boris mentioned -- the JP version of Smile is pretty amazing and probably their noisiest. Idk if they were mentioned/qualify, but Earth's early stuff has a certain "bite" to it I can't find anywhere else... It's like Carlson was playing into a giant corrugated metal pipe almost -- in a good way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back