Noise Isolating 'Phones Under $80? HELP!!!
Jun 28, 2009 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

AudioSmurf93

Head-Fier
I was thinking the best choice would be ER-6i because I really want clear highs and decent bass. I'll primarily be using these unamped with my iPod Touch.

I want these headphones to be able to block out the LOUD snorers in the bunk I'm a counselor for ALL summer. Also, the LOUDER noise of the crowded dining hall.

ER-6i the best choice? Any other suggestions appreciated <3

This is really important because I'd really like some peace and quiet at this camp that is CONSTANTLY ridiculously loud.

Jun 28, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioSmurf93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking the best choice would be ER-6i because I really want clear highs and decent bass.

The Er6i do have crystal clear highs, but they have very, very little bass. What bass is there is very good in quality, but I assume by decent you mean "ample".

Quote:

I want these headphones to be able to block out the LOUD snorers in the bunk I'm a counselor for ALL summer. Also, the LOUDER noise of the crowded dining hall.

The Er6i indeed do block out a whole lot of noise. They are the most isolating IEMs i've owned (though the Shure E4's are close). I find that I get the best reslts with Shure Black Olive tips
smily_headphones1.gif
. The tips help the bass a bit as well over the stock Ety single/tri-flanges.

Jun 28, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #3 of 16
I think the ER6i's are a good choice, as they will give you the isolation you want. Obviously, being an Ety, you already know they are not bass monsters but it sounds like you value quality over quantity. For the money, hard to beat in terms of detail and isolation. Be sure to bring some extra filters to camp with you.

Jun 29, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Il Mostro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the ER6i's are a good choice, as they will give you the isolation you want. Obviously, being an Ety, you already know they are not bass monsters but it sounds like you value quality over quantity. For the money, hard to beat in terms of detail and isolation. Be sure to bring some extra filters to camp with you.

Thanks so much for the info and advice. However, I am already at camp and have to order them here. How much do the Olive tips improve the bass?

Jun 29, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Thanks so much for the info and advice. However, I am already at camp and have to order them here. How much do the Olive tips improve the bass?

I got a noticeable bass improvement with the olives and no drop in isolation from the stock tri-flanges. In fact, I've got Olve tips on both of my main IEMs. I got 3 sets for $11 shipped off ebay. Ordering directly from shure is a bit more expensive.

Jun 29, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #7 of 16
No, my experience has been that the Er6i are nicknamed 'isolators' for a reason
smily_headphones1.gif
. The only IEMs I own that come close are the Shure E4's (again, with Olive Tips). I haven't tried all the IEMs out there though, so maybe someone else can recommend a unit with a lower price tag and more isolation. Perhaps a lower-end IEM that you can fit Olive Tips on?

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #11 of 16
Jun 29, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDisco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do the Creative Aurvana earphones stack up? I have a pair and they do a great job at isolating outside noise.

The Zen Aurvana is a very poorly-regarded IEM. They may have good isolation, but they lose to much much cheaper IEMs in sound quality and build quality.

See Here

And here

Jun 29, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Anywhere I could buy a single pair of olive tips? Id rather not spend over 7 dollahs..

Well, 3-pair sets come up on ebay once in a while, but the only way I can think of to get a single set is to post a WTB thread in the For Sale forum here. I'm sure someone who bought a 5 pair set will oblige. If you're located in USA shipping charges should be pretty minimal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back