Noise-cancelling headphones make me feel nauseous
Dec 18, 2007 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Maudio

New Head-Fier
As I said in the title, that's what they make me feel. And I've verified from the net that I'm not the only one having this problem (I fall within a minority I think).

Is this something that goes after getting used to this kind of head phones?

If I can't get rid of this, then which headphones without noise-cancelling features that you recommend to use with my PC?

Your helps is much appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #2 of 22
Some people get nauseous from watching first-person perspective 3D games. But I've never had an ounce of nausea from noise cancellers or 3D games, and I wear my QC2s three to five hours a day, five days a week.

I don't know whether you would build up immunity to it or not. What does the net say?

Are you looking for closed headphones?

Dec 19, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #3 of 22
It's too bad they do that to you.

Why don't you tell us about the music you listen to, what equipment you're using to listen to music and how much you're looking to spend? Once we know those, you should get a bunch of solid recommendations from the members here.

Dec 19, 2007 at 6:24 AM Post #5 of 22
i've never heard of this happening. if anything, it's probably attributed to the white noise that it generates. you may or may not get used to the noise-cancellation, but if you don't, you should consider sound isolating headphones (IEMs - in ear monitors). you might also want to look into closed headphones that block out noise (not as well as sound isolating, though).

Dec 19, 2007 at 8:42 AM Post #7 of 22
i've heart that before, a friend of mine gets unplesantly dizzy using nc, while here boyfriend loves it.
My theory is that NC doesn't work perfectly; it is frequencydependent and place dependent, the mic is often not exactly where your ears are. There might be other imperfections too in the circuit, like latency.
This must lead to artifacts; residual or phantomnoise that might not be consciously audible but might still be disturbing to some.
Theory without hard facts, I admit it, but the complaints are enough evidence for me to stay clear of active noisecancelling, especially since passive nc, using IEMs gives the same results without these complaints.

Dec 19, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your responses guys.

What I'm looking for right now is more like the type of this one :
http://www.elara.ie/largeimage/DA993...1F35AE15C3.jpg

I just need something reliable that offers a good sound quality with music in general (especially rock), and is also good for watching videos and stuff.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm willing to spend $50 max.

Sennheiser PX-100.

Dec 20, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks a million man! I really really appreciate it.
smily_headphones1.gif

No problem, I think you'll be happy with those, they are generally well-regarded around here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #13 of 22
Nov 4, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #14 of 22
Sorry to dig this up again, but I'm brand new to headphones. I just got my first pair of nice headphones, Sennheiser HD595's, and at first, they sounded great.

But after listening to them for 10 or 15 minutes, I started getting kinda lightheaded and nauseous. I thought it might have been something I ate, and just kept listening. After a while, I realized it might be the headphones, so I googled it and found that other people were experiencing this as well, and then I found this thread.

That's so weird, I never would have thought that headphones could have this effect. I feel kinda crappy right now. I have a headache and still feel a bit nauseous. I'm a young healthy guy, don't get seasick or airsick, drive a fast car, etc. Yet these headphones kinda messed me up. I guess I'll try to listen to them for short periods and hopefully I can get used to them over time. I'm kinda pissed, cuz I was really looking forward to enjoying these headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back