Noise-cancelling headphones make me feel nauseous
Nov 4, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by tehblizz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the HD595's aren't even NC's.. :|

I know, but according to that article a few posts up, it's the "sealed" effect that causes it, and these create a nice seal over my ears. I've never listened to nice pair of headphones before, so these are closer to the noise NC type headphones than I've ever experienced. Wanted to get a nice pair of headphones cuz I can't listen to my sound system loud at night.

I'll keep trying to listen to them for small amount of time, and hopefully it'll get better. I really like them so far
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #17 of 22
HD595's aren't sealed headphones, either.

They should be light and comfortable, and nausea is a very odd kind of discomfort to get from them.

Are they putting a lot of pressure on the sides of your head? Could they be restricting blood flow somewhere?

What are you listening to? Is it too loud? Does it have strong imaging to the left and right? Do you have any crossover?

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou Erickson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD595's aren't sealed headphones, either.

They should be light and comfortable, and nausea is a very odd kind of discomfort to get from them.

Are they putting a lot of pressure on the sides of your head? Could they be restricting blood flow somewhere?

What are you listening to? Is it too loud? Does it have strong imaging to the left and right? Do you have any crossover?

Well they are light and comfortable, but as I said, they create a decent seal over my ears. I've never used full size headphones before, so this was a first. When I googled it, I found that it's kinda rare for this to happen, but it does.

And no, they're not putting pressure on my head. I only listened to a few metal songs, and then a techno song. I started to feel a bit woozy, so I went on to a PS3 game. Still the same thing, it was just the effect of having sound come in through those headphone. This was all at a moderate volume, because I wanted to break them in for a while before I started turning the volume up.

Nov 5, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #19 of 22
Just thought - could this be equivalent to motion sickness? I gather that it's caused partly by the discrepancy between our vision and the other senses.

In the case of motion sickness (or its inverse - the effect when playing FPS) we see that we are moving but in the absence of acceleration, deceleration or change in velocity, it feels like we are sitting still.

Perhaps some feel nauseous with headphones it may be becuase the auditory cues we can hear things that we are unable to see. For noise cancelling headphones there is an additional effect that environmental auditory cues are cancelled.

Nov 10, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ear8dmg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just thought - could this be equivalent to motion sickness? I gather that it's caused partly by the discrepancy between our vision and the other senses.

In the case of motion sickness (or its inverse - the effect when playing FPS) we see that we are moving but in the absence of acceleration, deceleration or change in velocity, it feels like we are sitting still.

Perhaps some feel nauseous with headphones it may be becuase the auditory cues we can hear things that we are unable to see. For noise cancelling headphones there is an additional effect that environmental auditory cues are cancelled.

For me, I noticed the sensation after listening to music for about 10-15 minutes, so it wasn't motion sickness from the game or anything. I've been playing games since I was little, and even PC games with headphones, but I've never had nice headphones with bass like this.

It might have been a combo of getting a head cold, as well as having been to a loud concert a few nights before that. My head even felt weird for a few days after my first post, and it's getting better.

I just think it was the headphones that triggered it. The next day, I was fine when I woke up and I started listening to some music on my sound system, and with the bass from my sub (powerful sub) it started to happen to me again. So I must have some weird headcold or sinus bug or somethin.

At least I really hope it's that, because I'd love to enjoy these headphones. They sound great. I haven't touched them since the day that they came in and it's killin me!
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #21 of 22
Well, just an update if anyone cares. The headphones don't bother me anymore and I'm really enjoying them! I think it was the fact that I had just come from 2 nights in a row of loud concerts, and my ears were still kinda messed up. With the bass of the headphones, I think it was just like that article said, having to do with the "balance" part of the inner ear. It was vibrating and telling my brain it was in motion, but my eyes were saying that I wasn't. Plus, I had a cold at the time, which probably didn't help

Anyways, they're pretty kickass headphones and I'm likin them a lot
dt880smile.png

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #22 of 22
Hello. I wanted to share my case.

I do same music composing, mixing, etc, with my sony mdr-7506. I am experiencing dizziness.

I think that the pressure that the sound generates in my ears with this closed headphones, mixed with the stereo effects, is the thing that i seem to be too sensitive to.

Ive also noticed that when using effect in the mix like stereo delay, it messes up my equilibrium to the point that i almost cant tolerate.

im glad to had found this post to share this with you people

Users who are viewing this thread

Back