Noise cancelling cans
Jan 19, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #5 of 12
I also own a pair of ANC7. I have tried the Denon NC732. AVOID those. They were just awful. Haven't tried the Denon NC800, but I would wait for a very favorable review before bothering with them. Likewise avoid the Bose QC3. Simply not as good as the ANC7.

The QC15 are much better than the QC3, but I would never recommend they be someone's only pair of headphones. They have bass boom issues and they can distort pretty heavily (from the pair I tried, at least). I'm talking actual clipping. I thought they had their advantages over the ANC7, but not nearly enough to justify the price, and I would never recommend them over the ANC7 as a day-to-day pair.

I haven't yet heard the Sennheiser ANC line. Some people seem to like them for what they are, but I wouldn't necessarily expect them to be any better than your Audio Technicas.

If you're looking for an upgrade in sound but can't go with something short of an NC headphone, I think you need to start looking into IEMs.

Jan 19, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 12
I had the Bose QC3 and Sony NC-500d and tried a friends QC15. I think the best if you are just looking to block out noise is the QC15. I've heard nothing that can beat that at this point. I liked the NC500d because they had the best sound quality, if you prioritize that more. I'm actually selling mine only because I find IEMs are the best solution for noise cancelation/isolation for my travels. But I do understand that not everyone can take IEMs because I've been in that position before, until I found the right tips.

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #8 of 12
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/523963/bose-quiet-comfort-15-qc15-impressive-noise-cancellation

Here's my thread and accumulated info about noise canceling headphones. Listen to Zida, he knows what's he's talking about. Near the end are my impressions of the QC15s.

Jan 20, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #9 of 12
If you wind up with the ANC7b let us know how they compare to the ANC7. I've been uncomfortable recommending the ANC7b to people considering I've never actually held a pair, and the amazon reviews haven't been as overall favorable as I'd like. 

I believe that some people seem to think (obvious obligatory chunk of salt) that the top sennheiser NC headphones overall sound better than the audio technicas, but their ANC isn't as strong. That might be a fair trade for you, though, considering you don't need to use them on trains, but just near neighbors. Some people also seem to consider the Goldring NC headphones as very good value for the money, but if these are your main home headphones I don't know if you're worried about max value as much as max performance.

Jan 20, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #10 of 12
sennheiser pcx450s are great nc cans. They actually sound better with the nc on than off. Very comfortable also. I bought them when I commuted between Australia and the Netherlands (don't ask) and would wear them with pleasure the entire trip. Worth the investment for me twice over.

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
... The QC15 are much better than the QC3, but I would never recommend they be someone's only pair of headphones. They have bass boom issues and they can distort pretty heavily (from the pair I tried, at least). I'm talking actual clipping....

[size=10pt]Yes this is a year old thread, but I just wanted to address the clipping issue. A friend of mine has the QC15 headphones and the clipping you referred to is real but easily corrected. There's a well hidden attenuation switch on the cord where it plugs into the headphones. It's well hidden because it ends up inside the headphones while it's plugged in. Most people don't know it's there. The clipping stopped after that switch was moved to the attenuation position.[/size]
[size=10pt][/size]
[size=10pt]The noise canceling was very good and they are light and comfortable but the audio isn't that great. If you want great audio, comfort and noise canceling, try the [/size][size=10pt]Sennheiser[/size][size=10pt] PCX450 (I'm not sure if they're still sold - I had mine for a few years). They're larger than the Bose but still very comfortable. The only negative is that if you turn your head in a way that opens a gap between your head and the headphones, there's this low frequency rumbling feedback phenomenon (you have to be in a noisy environment with a lot of low frequency noise like on a plane in flight). If you have a small head, this may happen too much for you. For me, it only happens occasionally and is fixed by turning my head back and adjusting the headphone position slightly. It's not a deafening noise. It's just a slight annoyance. The sound is excellent and there's a volume control along with a button you can hit so you can temporarily bypass the noise canceling and use the external mic to hear the flight attendant ask what you want to drink.[/size]
[size=10pt][/size]
[size=10pt]The PCX450 can also be switched to passive mode for listening to music directly without going through the active circuitry.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back