Noise cancellation over sound quality?
Jan 23, 2007 at 9:20 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by 5480 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...headphones with the best (or almost the best) noise cancellation characteristics. The sound quality is less important.

That really sounds like the Sennheiser HD 280 pro...

Jan 23, 2007 at 9:35 AM Post #17 of 28
Sennheiser's upcoming PXC450 is certainly a headphone to consider, though I'm not sure how soon you need one (I don't think the PXC450 will be available on shelves until around March 2007). I can comfortably say that the PXC450 is the best sounding noise-canceling headphone I've heard (and, yes, I've heard all the popular ones, and some not-so-popular ones). I'll say more about the PXC450 soon.

Claus-DK made some good points about some practical considerations with respect to IEMs versus noise-canceling headphones. When traveling, I use both IEMs and noise-canceling headphones, choosing one or the other at any given time depending on the situation. As Claus-DK mentioned, if you're going to need to take them on and off frequently, noise-canceling headphones are more practical. I also like noise-canceling headphones when I'm at the data center (flooded with the din of thousands of servers), so I can still hear my colleagues. I also like them when I'm traveling with friends/family/colleagues I'd likely be talking to.

When I know I'll be traveling alone, however, with little chance or desire to socialize, one of my IEMs go in. IEMs are also a great choice whenever you want to shut out the world around you completely. And, sonically, I get as much pleasure from my best IEMs as I do my best full-size headphones.

Jan 23, 2007 at 12:18 PM Post #18 of 28
I prefer passive nc with IEMs, I sort of suspect active nc considering the way it works can actually lead to residual noise and other artefacts in the form of hf-spikes that might damage my hearing. I might be wrong of course, but passive nc works fine and is simpler, no mics or power required.

For people feeling different: the Sony walkman 7xx-series comes with NC phones (22 something) that are appearantly quite decent, might be a ince option for some people looking for a nc-system.

Jan 23, 2007 at 12:28 PM Post #19 of 28
I find the hd280-pros isolate as well as any IEM can.... they are simply amazing for it.

Jan 23, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #20 of 28
Most people tend to agree that IEMs cancel noise better than active headphones. But there are so many choices available! For example, Etymotic or Westone UM1?

Any independent test results available?

Jan 24, 2007 at 8:27 AM Post #21 of 28
For IEM's, buy the ones with the sound signature you're looking for. Just do a few searches to see what they're each like. What's your budget? At $100 or less, check out Ety ER6i's, Westone UM1's, Shure E2's, or Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3's. The next highest tier contains E4's, 5pro's, and ER4's. Above that are the UM2's and E500's.

Jan 24, 2007 at 8:32 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by 5480 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most people tend to agree that IEMs cancel noise better than active headphones. But there are so many choices available! For example, Etymotic or Westone UM1?

Any independent test results available?

What kind of music you listen to? What kind of sound do you like? (flat and neutral, bright, warm, bassy, trebly, aggressive?)

Jan 25, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by flamerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For IEM's, buy the ones with the sound signature you're looking for. Just do a few searches to see what they're each like. What's your budget? At $100 or less, check out Ety ER6i's, Westone UM1's, Shure E2's, or Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3's. The next highest tier contains E4's, 5pro's, and ER4's. Above that are the UM2's and E500's.

I have no real budget but I am willing to spend up to 300 USD if I can enjoy the silence. Or Glenn Gould playing piano. IEMs appear to be more effective but would like to see some dB-figures.

Jan 25, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #25 of 28
Passive noise cancellation is far superior to active noise cancellation. You also get the added benefit of no battery and more portability, not to mention way better sound quality.

So which IEM to choose? I've personally tried the Shure and Etymotic products and find both to be excellent at noise cancellation. You just need to find the right tip for you, which shouldn't be a provide with the kit they provide you. Good luck!

Jan 29, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #27 of 28

Quote:

Quote:
I'll go straight for recommending the UM1s if you decide to go wit IEMs and $109 is in your budget. I use them on the train, at home, and jogging. They're all-around great headphones.

Have you listened to both?  I'm curious how they compare.

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #28 of 28

Quote:
I'll go straight for recommending the UM1s if you decide to go wit IEMs and $109 is in your budget. I use them on the train, at home, and jogging. They're all-around great headphones.

Have you compared the UM1s and the 280s?  I'm curious how they compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back