Noise cancellation over sound quality?
Jan 21, 2007 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

New Head-Fier
I am looking for headphones with the best (or almost the best) noise cancellation characteristics. The sound quality is less important. Any suggestions?

Jan 21, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 28
You don't necessarily need to sacrifice both...

I presume you've seen canalphones like these? They would offer a bit of isolation. Then there are IEMs. Better than canalphones as they go deeper and produce a seal in your ear canal. If you mean noise cancellation like offerings from Bose, I have no idea. There are also full sized closed cans to block out outside noise. Case of take your pick

List your budget, sources and music preferences

Jan 21, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 28
i have 280s which block tons of noise, and have decent qualtiy sound (but it isnt my type of sound, but thats imo)

closed phones tend to block varying amts of sound, ranging from tons (senn 280s) to other ones that really dont block much, but instead insulate sound in, so they would be appropriate for planes and such.

SQ varies from open to closed, but you cant say one is better, as there are both great open and great closed phones.

iems block the most noise (from my experience) they basically seal off your ear canals.

active noise cancleing phones generally provide the worst SQ/price ratio.,

Jan 21, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #6 of 28
Well, the headphones must eliminate noise from traffic, train, airplane so that I can focus on Glenn Gould when commuting, travelling. Noise cancellation is the key criteria.

I read from somewhere that passive noise cancellation headphones are, in general, more reffective than active noise cancellation headphones. Is this true?

Jan 21, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #7 of 28
is there any danger of traffic...meaning getting hit by a plane, train, or automobile?
you shouldn't block out the sounds of your environment if you're walking on streets with cars.

but if you're on the train, iems and closed cans are recommended.

Jan 21, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #9 of 28
Passive noise cancellation means that headphone/earphone works like hearing protector or earplug, it is closed design that isolates your ears (or ear canals) from outside world. Effective and doesnt affect soundquality. IEM (in ear monitors) are most effective in isolating and are small, they are like earplugs. But they cannot give same soundquality what similarly priced fullsize can can give, but that doesnt mean they are bad! Stuffing them to your ears and getting proper seal is bit tricky sometimes. (and proper seal is a MUST to get optimal sound quality)

Downside of passive noise cancelling is that while outside ambience noise is heavily reduced, you start to hear your body noises much more clearly. Walking, cable scratching against your shirt, even heartbeat, they are all audible. Not much of an issue when music playing though.

Active noise cancellation works by adding counter-noise to block outside noise. Of course, this does affect soundquality, but how much depends on headphone and system how their active noise cancelling works. Doesnt seal, but atleast lets you hear music without blasting your ears, like with open non-isolating and non-cancelling headphones in noisy enviroment.

Jan 21, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is there any danger of traffic...meaning getting hit by a plane, train, or automobile?
you shouldn't block out the sounds of your environment if you're walking on streets with cars.

but if you're on the train, iems and closed cans are recommended.

As long as you are using your eyes and keep senses open, I dont see any problems using isolating headphones when walking in the street. There are deaf people around too, you know.

Jan 23, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #14 of 28
I have experince with both types and the effect is very different you get better SQ with IEM and more comfort with NC..

NC also only works in some frequences and they also have an upper limit too how much noice they can eliminate..

IEM works like putting your fingers in your ears, it blocks the noise..

IMO it all depends on how loud the surrondings are if its is low noice I prefer the NC and if it is high volume i Like the IEMs...

Some say that a NC circuit destroys the SQ, but that is something each must decide for themselves..

It is also important to keep in mind how often you are going to take the phones off your head ?? if it is often i´ll go with NC..

Jan 23, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #15 of 28
I'll go straight for recommending the UM1s if you decide to go wit IEMs and $109 is in your budget. I use them on the train, at home, and jogging. They're all-around great headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back