Noiceless tube amps
Sep 7, 2010 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

welchie

100+ Head-Fier
Hello head-Fiers,

What is the best tube amp that doesn't produce hiss or slight crackling. I don't want to mention what I have as I may be selling them. I'm looking and Woo, Little Dot, and Darkvoice. This will be for night stand listening. Thanks for your insight. I have an imod as the source with ALO recable Utrasone HFi 780s and ATH M50s.

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #2 of 9
By saying best, we assume no price range? If so I would say the eddie currant balancing act.

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 9
Thank you. That is a beautiful amp, but is out of the price range :frowning2:. I could go $600.00, but I do realize I get what I pay for.

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #4 of 9
Woo makes quality American products, but if you're really worried about hiss, just get some Senn 650s. Those things are pretty much hiss-proof; if you hear hiss through them, the amp is probably seriously messed up.

Sep 8, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #5 of 9
At $600 you would probably do a lot better with a ss amp. Both your headphones are low inpedance and most of the tube amps in that price range doesnt push the low inpedance cans that well. A ss amp would do a lot better than any tube amp at that price range.

Sep 8, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #7 of 9
The WooAudio WA6 is in your price range, will work well with the headphones you have, and at least mine is quieter than several solid state amps I have owned (many of which would have some hiss with very high efficiency headphones like those).  For me the WA6 is completely quiet.

Sep 8, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
What is the best tube amp that doesn't produce hiss or slight crackling. 

Crackling noises are more often a symptom of bad tubes than a bad amp.

Hiss can be any number of things, but rid yourself of the piece of junk crackly tube before you seriously pass judgement.

Sep 8, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #9 of 9
Thank you for your input. It's great to learn here on head-fi. I like skylabs post, but of course I keep an eye on all his research. It has been invaluable in the past with amp selection. Thanks again, Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back