Noble Audio - Introducing KATANA
Jul 13, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #301 of 328
Wizard birthday Katana arrived today :heart_eyes:

Let the honeymoon period begin.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #302 of 328
Imagine Katana is something more to accuracy, neutral (with slight warm feeling), microscopic sparkle treble (more detail than K10 indeed), slight forward vocal which is very good to bring emotions, and speedy tight bass. I really like how this iem produce bass, it feels like you holding on a bullet in your hand, it's not a big in quantity, but fefinitely you feel the weight and high density of it with tight precision of decay. Hint words: neutral, accuracy, detail, clean, musical.

Best description I've read in hear! Loving the details in the music reproduction. So easy to hear layering in multi-vocal pieces, not sure I've heard that before so clearly with other IEMs.

I listen a lot to various kinds of electronic music, so for a session of heavy bass head nodding, I'll probably grab the SE846s, but the Katana's bass is more accurate, if not 1-2dB south of perfect for me.

EDiT: scrap the above comment. It's really just a matter of fit. None of the bypacked silicons were doing it for me. The stem is too thick so I couldn't get the perfect seal. Using some rubbers from a cheapy earphone and get much better seal. Noble Audio... take note :)

Overall first 2 days impressions are overwhelmingly positive :)

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 5:35 AM Post #304 of 328
ThomasHK said:
Best description I've read in hear! Loving the details in the music reproduction. So easy to hear layering in multi-vocal pieces, not sure I've heard that before so clearly with other IEMs.

I listen a lot to various kinds of electronic music, so for a session of heavy bass head nodding, I'll probably grab the SE846s, but the Katana's bass is more accurate, if not 1-2dB south of perfect for me.

EDiT: scrap the above comment. It's really just a matter of fit. None of the bypacked silicons were doing it for me. The stem is too thick so Icouldn't get the perfect seal. Using somerubbers from a cheapy earphone and get muchbetter seal. Noble Audio... take note :)

Overall first 2 days impressions areoverwhelmingly positive :)

I’m a little confused by the second part / amendment of your statement. How are you finding the bass now with different tips?

I’m coming in from the Shure SE846 camp, seriously considering the Katanas and Encores.

I hear these can plumb some serious depths but evidently there’s not the same quantity as the 846s or the CA Vegas. I’m still not sure if as someone who is a bit of a basshead I’d be satisfied with the Katanas.

I am however wanting more detail and a real soundstage experience. Should I be looking elsewhere if I also desire a bass experience or will the Karanas do the job?

I listen to mostly progressive trance (a la John 00 Fleming(, techno, UK bass (a la Pinch), Dire Straits, Mike Oldfield, rock, metal and a little hip hop.

Jan 15, 2018 at 6:02 AM Post #305 of 328
I like the Katanas myself, the bass goes down deep in frequency, they are a bit smaller than the Encore, and weigh less. Overall, offering a more EDC experience, but YMMV, as everyone has different priorities.

For honor 1.jpg

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Jan 15, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #306 of 328
If you’re looking for deep thumping bass, you should totally forget the Katana and look into Encore instead. Katana really lacks deep low bass.

I’m not a bass head at all but I look for IEMs with accurate and balanced sound signature, Katana might sound detailed and crystal clear but it lacks bass. To me, Encore is more balanced and can produce that SE846 subwoofer like deep low bass but still have very detailed high frequencies. With the SE846, I think the bass is a little bit too much when using the blue filter, so I use the white. So if you're using the blue or the black filters with your SE846, then you probably will not like the Katana nor the Encore. I use foam tips to get a better seal with my Encore as well as the SE846. However, it’s best that you go demo them yourself.

I’m coming in from the Shure SE846 camp, seriously considering the Katanas and Encores.

I hear these can plumb some serious depths but evidently there’s not the same quantity as the 846s or the CA Vegas. I’m still not sure if as someone who is a bit of a basshead I’d be satisfied with the Katanas.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #307 of 328
I had a red hot go of the K10Us and rather liked everything I heard. Bass impact, texture, depth; combined with instrument separation proved more than a step up from the Shures.

The big thing that is whizzing around my head like an alien on a motorbike trying to negotiate a round-about for the first time is how the Katanas will handle low-end heavy tracks. I presume the experience will be more akin to fine sashimi - ultra fine detail - rather than a double bacon cheeseburger (as per the heaviness of the Shures’ bass).

It’s rather hard to picture it. Hence methinks I’ll have to audition them post haste.

Jan 15, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #308 of 328
@Danz03 thanks for the insight. :)

I guess I’m looking for a change... I demoed the K10s although Addicted to Audio didn’t at that stage have a demo pair of the Encores. They do however have a demo pair of the Katanas which I will most likely audition tomorrow. Perhaps there is something that will appeal to a different aspect of my palate I never knew existed (although I’ve always been a basshead, a sub-basshead even haha). I will throw some of the most subterranian music I have and report back.

The Shures are still to my mind a good if not great IEM, but I’m thinking maybe the bass impact is too much for me too now. It doesn’t bleed but it dominates.

Moreover its intimate soundstage is perfect for techno (best heard in intimate surrounds) but not great for Tubular Bells II or III.

Perhaps it’s time to put a precision Japanese instrument through the fat. Forgive my tangential ramblings but I’m a tad overwhelmed (in a good way). :p

Jan 15, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #310 of 328
I used to have a pair of the old black colored K10U, they have very similar sound signature to my Encore but I was told the newer aluminum ones (K10U) have more (or too much bass. I use mine with balanced cable with my AK240, I think they do work very well together. But recently I took out my old SHURE KES1500 to have a listen (I rarely used them after I got my Encore), I think the Shure beats the Encore hands down in terms of clarity and details but yet still maintains that SE846 subwoofer like deep bass. Somehow they sound even better when using the lightning connection with my iPhone X (more so than the line out from my AK240), but the occasional digital glitching sound is near unbearable, it happens every the lightning connection is used, with iPhones or iPods. The other problem with the KES1500 is that one has to use the built in EQ to get a balanced sound signature; but even with the digital EQ on, the Shure still sounds more transparent than all the other IEMs I ever owned. So if you can, have a listen to those too. And of course the KES1500 is bulky too, it comes with a bloody big amp, which is why I don’t use them often. BTW, what colored filters did you use with your SE846? Have you tried out all of them?

@Danz03 thanks for the insight. :)

I guess I’m looking for a change... I demoed the K10s ... The Shures are still to my mind a good if not great IEM, but I’m thinking maybe the bass impact is too much for me too now. It doesn’t bleed but it dominates.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #312 of 328
They are expensive but they are in a way quite perfect as one can adjust them to whatever sound signature one desires.

To me, the Katana has crisp punchy bass, but not deep and thumping like the SE846 if you know what I mean.

BTW, which filters did you use on your SE846? Have you tried out all the different filters?

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #314 of 328
Yes the SE846 can be a bit harsh, the Encore is like an improved SE846, whereas the Katana is crisp and clear. You really need to demo them before purchasing.

I’m definitely open to a bass that’s a pleasure to hear rather than one that’s palpable. :)

I’ve been using the blue filters for as long as I can remember. I liked the blacks at first but grew tired of them after a while. The whites and indeed filterless proved too harsh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back