Noble 4 Impressions Thread
Dec 11, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #92 of 182
Hello Noble 4 owners!

Just want to share my recent discovery... 

There's an excellent synergy in this new found combo I got:

The Fiio E11k capitalises on the wide soundstage, clarity, and detail of the Colorfly C3 and adds a bit of smoothness in the highs and depth in the lows. The Noble 4 normally sounds a bit too analytical when paired directly with the Colorfly C3. This combo takes the Noble 4 to the musical side of things without compromising the detail and clarity that we always love. Turn on the bass boost and BAAAM! It's a whole new level of musical enjoyment. Metal heads rejoice! Heavy metal sounds killer with this combo. But wait there's more! Throw in any other genre and they're all amazing! 'just listened to Sia's 1000 Forms of Fear and I can't stress enough how much I enjoyed it.

So if you're looking for a BUDGET PORTABLE rig that will perfectly match your Noble 4, look no further.

There's a slight drawback tho... a VERY faint hiss can be heard when music isn't playing. But when you're out and about does it really matter? And at the level of volume I listen to (3) I can barely hear it in a quiet environment. So in real life usage, it's really negligible.

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #94 of 182
can anyone here compare these to the (now discontinued) RE-272 ? Really interested in trying them out.

Thanx

Dec 11, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #95 of 182
  can anyone here compare these to the (now discontinued) RE-272 ? Really interested in trying them out.

Thanx

Well, haven't heard the re272 in quite a while but for me N4 is what hifiman should have done for an upgrade. The N4 is quicker in the low end with slightly bigger mid-bass impact. N4 is more upfront in the mids but they are clearer with better edge to the notes next to the more rounded and smoother hifimans. N4 has more lower treble energy without being prone to sibilance, which adds to the extra crispness but I remember the re272 definitely sounding wider and a bit more extended up top next to the more coherent N4. Of course, you can swap ortofon tips on the N4 for softer bass and a bit smoother presentation and it can really show you what neutral and natural sound  is.

Dec 11, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #96 of 182
I'm loving those ear tips!

Those are meelec m9 biflanges. Works wonders for the Noble PR as well.
I can imagine how rad they'd look with the Noble clear cables!

Dec 11, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #97 of 182
Have to say that if I was going m9 bi-flanges I would always pick the balanced m9 bi-flanges next to the standard black and clear one but unfortunately these tips are no longer made

(Left - old M9 balanced bi-flanges, right - standard clear M9 bi-flanges)

Dec 11, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #98 of 182
  Have to say that if I was going m9 bi-flanges I would always pick the balanced m9 bi-flanges next to the standard black and clear one but unfortunately these tips are no longer made

(Left - old M9 balanced bi-flanges, right - standard clear M9 bi-flanges)

wider bore... that could've been perfect for me!

Dec 11, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #99 of 182

wider bore... that could've been perfect for me!

Yeah, these tips were crazy good and they completely changed them for unknown reasons, so what they call now M9 balanced double-flange tips is a lot different. I'll still go for the ortofon tips though

Dec 12, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #100 of 182
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AQU2VLA/ref=mp_s_a_1_117?qid=1417302227&sr=8-117&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

My 3 favorite tips for the nobles are the comply tax 500 or the double flange that come with the nobles or the tips from the ue350i's (I kept the tips but gave the phones to my ex wife)

Dec 14, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #101 of 182
  Well, haven't heard the re272 in quite a while but for me N4 is what hifiman should have done for an upgrade. The N4 is quicker in the low end with slightly bigger mid-bass impact. N4 is more upfront in the mids but they are clearer with better edge to the notes next to the more rounded and smoother hifimans. N4 has more lower treble energy without being prone to sibilance, which adds to the extra crispness but I remember the re272 definitely sounding wider and a bit more extended up top next to the more coherent N4. Of course, you can swap ortofon tips on the N4 for softer bass and a bit smoother presentation and it can really show you what neutral and natural sound  is.

so going from the 272 to N4 , i will probably like what ilisten , right ? I am not a basshead listener , I like my iems to be detailed and musical and the 272 is my fav uni iem so far (i prefer it even more than the more expensice re600)

any more people here who have owned  both ?

Dec 14, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #102 of 182

so going from the 272 to N4 , i will probably like what ilisten , right ? I am not a basshead listener , I like my iems to be detailed and musical and the 272 is my fav uni iem so far (i prefer it even more than the more expensice re600)

any more people here who have owned  both ?

Well, most likely. The N4 is balanced and detailed and leaning more towards smooth and musical in presentation.

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #103 of 182
so i asked H20Fidelity as well for his opinion and comparisons with the 272, and his pm got me even more confused.....guess i have to try and listen to it for myself

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

H20Fidelity
sent you this private message on Head-Fi.org, December 17, 11:20 pm

I haven't heard the RE272. 

I can tell you while I thought N4 was decent it really lacked sub-bass extension for my preferences. There were songs I know should have sub-bass presence to create atmosphere which was literally absent in some tracks, like the balanced  low-frequency armatures rolled off very early in sub-bass. Noble seem to label this sound as 'reference' I call it inadequate. The mids and highs were decent if not a little grainy but quite detailed, separation was good, soundstage good in width.

For me ,N4 was really past my preference of analytical kind of too sterile or raw/dry sounding. I love my ER4S and I love analytical presentations, its right in my shooting range but N4 aren't where I want to be.

That's just my honest feelings but of course gather many opinions, I can ask you to speak to d marco who loves his N4, but he hasn't heard RE727 either.

ijokerl would be your best bet if you care for his opinion.

Cheers
H20

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dec 17, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #104 of 182
As a person who purchased the N4 and had it for a few months I second H20 opinion as it is almost completely without bass. I will go further and say the imaging isn't the greatest. Personally I feel you get the best results using an amp with a bass boost on. I am currently using it with the Cayin C5 and the Dx-50.

Dec 17, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #105 of 182
  As a person who purchased the N4 and had it for a few months I second H20 opinion as it is almost completely without bass. I will go further and say the imaging isn't the greatest. Personally I feel you get the best results using an amp with a bass boost on. I am currently using it with the Cayin C5 and the Dx-50.

Well, that kinda depends on personal preference and reference point. N4 has more bass than ety er4s and most twfk-based iems, so a statement that N4's has almost no bass implies that you're used to a lot more bass than neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back